Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
943 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [38] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: BoardGameGeek for Android App rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Android-App-BGG [+] geektool [+] android [+] app [+] BGG_Geek_Tools [+] [View All]
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
Image is from Turandot. It looks just like me.
mbmbmbmbmb
nicch wrote:
Adding players to logged games sounds good. I know a friend with Andoid who does this, but I guess that must he must have "the other BGG app" whistle

This is on my personal wishlist so it will happen sooner than later. For now, I put the players in the comments, then go back a put then in the right field.

nicch wrote:
On a related note/problem. My Geekbuddies seems to stay empty even after sync (yes geekbuddies is enabled). No idea why though??

Nope. Everything seems to work everywhere we've tested. I assume you're not getting any visible errors messages, are you?

nicch wrote:
I use a web browser for forum browsing, so you could do it via a url link unless people really want to do within the app (sounds strange if people have a browser of choice)

That sounds like a decent first step. I'll see what kind of effort it turns out to be.

nicch wrote:
Hotness and Filtering - are you envisioning people to be able to browse games as an addition to searching by name, so they can see what's hot or look for certain types.

For the hotness, yes. Just click an icon on the home screen and be taken to a sorted list of the top 50 hot games on BGG, just as if you performed a search.

Filtering will continue to show the games in your collection, just certain ones based on user input. I have a collection over 500 games and I know I'd like to see ones that support 7 players and use worker placement for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic Chilton
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ccomeaux wrote:
nicch wrote:
Adding players to logged games sounds good.

This is on my personal wishlist so it will happen sooner than later. For now, I put the players in the comments, then go back a put then in the right field.
Do you envisioning just put player names or their BGG username? As if playing with people, say at a club, you could ask people their username, however you would need a way of remembering between games, because you won't want to ask each time. So when adding a player, will there be a list you can pick from (if so will you allow ordering, say alphabetical and last played with (so current opponents come to the top)). It would also be nice if you could share username by beaming between phones, but that's probably not a must.

ccomeaux wrote:
nicch wrote:
On a related note/problem. My Geekbuddies seems to stay empty even after sync (yes geekbuddies is enabled). No idea why though??

Nope. Everything seems to work everywhere we've tested. I assume you're not getting any visible errors messages, are you?

None, buddies just says "no buddies". I press sync and the status messages say "BGG synch started" "collection list synced" "sync complete"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nicch wrote:
ccomeaux wrote:
nicch wrote:

None, buddies just says "no buddies". I press sync and the status messages say "BGG synch started" "collection list synced" "sync complete"

I haven't been able to duplicate this issue. Have you tried checking and unchecking the setting and trying again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep getting timeouts trying to sync. I suspect my XML snapshot is too large!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rynelf wrote:
I keep getting timeouts trying to sync. I suspect my XML snapshot is too large!

Yep, you're right. Sorry about that. I might investigate some creative ways to fetch large collections, but I know that none of the solutions will be fool-proof. Hopefully BGG will add paging like they've done to many of the API responses. Until then, you'll just have to sell some games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic Chilton
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ccomeaux wrote:
nicch wrote:
ccomeaux wrote:
nicch wrote:

I haven't been able to duplicate this issue. Have you tried checking and unchecking the setting and trying again?

Yes. I've also tried clearing data and also full uninstall/reinstall
anyone else installed it on Android 2.3.3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nicch wrote:
Yes. I've also tried clearing data and also full uninstall/reinstall anyone else installed it on Android 2.3.3

Well, I discovered the source of the problem - the BGG XML API says you have 0 GeekBuddies, see: http://boardgamegeek.com/xmlapi2/user?name=nicch&buddies=1

I do see you have GeekBuddies. I'll let the admins know over in the XML API [thread=6786275]thread[/thread], but I will warn you that it's been pretty quiet over there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic Chilton
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ccomeaux wrote:
nicch wrote:
Yes. I've also tried clearing data and also full uninstall/reinstall anyone else installed it on Android 2.3.3

Well, I discovered the source of the problem - the BGG XML API says you have 0 GeekBuddies, see: http://boardgamegeek.com/xmlapi2/user?name=nicch&buddies=1

I do see you have GeekBuddies. I'll let the admins know over in the XML API [thread=6786275]thread[/thread], but I will warn you that it's been pretty quiet over there.

Did an update today and the geekbuddies came through on the update. Thanks

Do you think everyone who installs comes via this thread? I wondered if there was to be a link to trouble solving section

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm neither of the two BGG apps are currently able to log played games.

I thought it was just one app, but now I've noticed neither currently work. Perhaps something unnoticed has changed with the site?

I've always used "BGG Mobile" which allows a long-press on a list of games to record played games (that's nifty). But recently those games haven't been appearing on the BGG website. No response after emailing the owner.

Today I installed the "BoardGameGeek" app (sadly no shortcut to recording played games) and when you try to record played games there, it flashes up "Unable to log in" despite it being able to sync my collection.
(I notice it also says GeekBuddies 0 for me too)

This is my main use of the BGG apps, could someone have a look into the issue, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy vercruysse
Belgium
bredene
West Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
Do you not see?
badge
That if you kill him with the pill from the till by making with it the drug in the jug, you need not light the candle with the handle on the gâteau from the château.
mbmbmbmbmb
very nice update. i used it for looking up games on occasion. the only thing i still miss is something to log my plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Collarin
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Snake wrote:
Hmmm neither of the two BGG apps are currently able to log played games.

I thought it was just one app, but now I've noticed neither currently work. Perhaps something unnoticed has changed with the site?

I've always used "BGG Mobile" which allows a long-press on a list of games to record played games (that's nifty). But recently those games haven't been appearing on the BGG website. No response after emailing the owner.

Today I installed the "BoardGameGeek" app (sadly no shortcut to recording played games) and when you try to record played games there, it flashes up "Unable to log in" despite it being able to sync my collection.
(I notice it also says GeekBuddies 0 for me too)

This is my main use of the BGG apps, could someone have a look into the issue, please?

I just used BoardGameGeek v3.0 last night on my Droid Incredible to log in a couple game plays. From the game's page, press menu and then press log play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MCOLL81 wrote:
I just used BoardGameGeek v3.0 last night on my Droid Incredible to log in a couple game plays. From the game's page, press menu and then press log play

Odd, just tried both apps again and they refused to do it.

HTC Desire running BoardGameGeek v3.0 ... on a game page, the menu gives the options "Log Play" and "Quick Log Play" ... if I click "Log Play" there's the form asking for details and a quick "Toast" message pops up to say "Unable to log in" as soon as the form appears. If I go back to the main menu, it can sync games list without any dramas.

Hope it's not another problem with there being a space in my username :-P
(The issue has only just started with the "BGG Mobile" app a couple of weeks ago)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andy wrote:
very nice update. i used it for looking up games on occasion. the only thing i still miss is something to log my plays.

You should be able to log a play from the menu button while viewing a board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Snake wrote:
MCOLL81 wrote:

Odd, just tried both apps again and they refused to do it.

HTC Desire running BoardGameGeek v3.0 ... on a game page, the menu gives the options "Log Play" and "Quick Log Play" ... if I click "Log Play" there's the form asking for details and a quick "Toast" message pops up to say "Unable to log in" as soon as the form appears. If I go back to the main menu, it can sync games list without any dramas.

Hope it's not another problem with there being a space in my username :-P
(The issue has only just started with the "BGG Mobile" app a couple of weeks ago)

That's a strange one, and difficult to debug. Do you get any additional information with the toast message? Most errors (but not all) should have a little more info than you've included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ccomeaux wrote:

That's a strange one, and difficult to debug. Do you get any additional information with the toast message? Most errors (but not all) should have a little more info than you've included.

Nope, sorry, that's all the toast message says.
That precise casing, spelling, lack of punctuation, precisely as it is (without quotes) here: "Unable to log in".

Note that while "Quick Log Play" generates the message immediately, so does the "Log Play" option - but that means it's before you've even submitted the "Log Play" form, it happens when the form is brought to the screen.

The Log Play form also has its "Save" button greyed out.

The "BGG Mobile" app doesn't display any warnings when you record a play, but the logged game still doesn't appear on boardgamegeek.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Snake wrote:
ccomeaux wrote:

That precise casing, spelling, lack of punctuation, precisely as it is (without quotes) here: "Unable to log in".

Note that while "Quick Log Play" generates the message immediately, so does the "Log Play" option - but that means it's before you've even submitted the "Log Play" form, it happens when the form is brought to the screen.

The "BGG Mobile" app doesn't display any warnings when you record a play, but the logged game still doesn't appear on boardgamegeek.com

After looking at the code, I'm not even sure how you can get this error. I will try to add some more information in a future release. Sorry I can't be of any more help. Though I will mention that the app is open source and if anyone wants to have a hand in the project, we are taking volunteers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Otto

Cherokee
Kansas
msg tools
He said something to me in Chinese like, 'Boo coo sow!', sounded like some cartoon sh!t. But I understood it to be a question...
badge
Ha-ha! I threw that sh!t before I walked in the room!
mbmbmbmbmb
Really like the new look for the app. Any chance of being able to browse comments for games? It'd be nice to be able to quickly look at what people are saying about a game when shopping. Keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
ccomeaux wrote:
Rainbow Snake wrote:
ccomeaux wrote:

After looking at the code, I'm not even sure how you can get this error. I will try to add some more information in a future release. Sorry I can't be of any more help. Though I will mention that the app is open source and if anyone wants to have a hand in the project, we are taking volunteers!

It's caused by the password being incorrectly set. If you look at the LogInTask, any error which fails to set the mCookieStore variable will cause the message to be overridden with just "Unable to log in" when it gets to the final if clause in the task.

Most likely something else is failing earlier on (I guess the status response isn't 200, for example) and since the cookie store isn't already set, you get a null store and the "Unable to log in" message.

EDIT: If you want to reproduce:
1) clear the data for the application (Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> BoardGameGeek -> "Clear data")
2) launch the application
3) Tap on "Settings"
4) Tap on "BGG username"
5) Enter a valid username
6) Tap on "BGG password"
7) Enter the wrong password
8) Search for a game
9) Try and log a play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Capoeirista wrote:
It's caused by the password being incorrectly set.

Did you mean an incorrect password being entered by the user, or a bug in the programme relating to the password?

Regarding the former, I don't think I have the password wrong as I have only entered it once in this app and am still able to sync without error. (Err, no I added them twice, the second time worked. The first time it didn't recognise the space in my username so I had to put "+" in, just like the other app)

But if it was an error with the code, how are other people able to log plays from the app?

I will try to re-enter my credentials, just in case that proves anything.

edit: Yep did that, wiped app data, returned to app that had empty collection list, added correct username, password, synched collection successfully, (still no GeekBuddies appear) ... and yet when I select either Log or Quick Log Play, I get the "Unable to log in" message.

I'm still suspicious that the other BGG app which hasn't been updated for a while has also stopped being able to log plays, makes me think that both of you are getting some new unusual response from BGG

The other app: http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/books_and_re...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Snake wrote:
Capoeirista wrote:
It's caused by the password being incorrectly set.

Did you mean an incorrect password being entered by the user, or a bug in the programme relating to the password?

Sorry, should have been more clear, this isn't necessarily your problem, but it is an issue which can lead to identical symptoms.

Rainbow Snake wrote:
Regarding the former, I don't think I have the password wrong as I have only entered it once in this app and am still able to sync without error. (Err, no I added them twice, the second time worked. The first time it didn't recognise the space in my username so I had to put "+" in, just like the other app)

Aha, this seems to be it. Syncing you collection doesn't require authentication, it's public info, but logging a play does. So, even though you enter your username & password, it doesn't actually authenticate until the first time you try and log a play.

Now, there seems to be a bug in the app about how it handles usernames with spaces. If you enter your username as Rainbow+Snake (or Rainbow%20Snake), you will be able to sync your collection, but not log plays. If you enter it as Rainbow Snake, you will be able to log plays but not sync your collection.

Seems to be a bug about how the username is url encoded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like this issue was fixed in r314, guess it's just a matter of waiting for the next release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EquateBrand wrote:
Really like the new look for the app. Any chance of being able to browse comments for games? It'd be nice to be able to quickly look at what people are saying about a game when shopping. Keep up the good work!

Yep - already on the list. See: http://code.google.com/p/boardgamegeek/issues/list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Capoeirista wrote:
It's caused by the password being incorrectly set. If you look at the LogInTask, any error which fails to set the mCookieStore variable will cause the message to be overridden with just "Unable to log in" when it gets to the final if clause in the task.

Most likely something else is failing earlier on (I guess the status response isn't 200, for example) and since the cookie store isn't already set, you get a null store and the "Unable to log in" message.

Ack! You're right. This should be treated as a else-if's, not a series of ifs. I'll fix that soon (http://code.google.com/p/boardgamegeek/issues/detail?id=19). But you're spot on regarding the wrong username or password.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Capoeirista wrote:
If you enter it as Rainbow Snake, you will be able to log plays but not sync your collection.

Seems to be a bug about how the username is url encoded.

Ha! Excellent. I might switch my username to the space - hopefully I log plays more often than I get new games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 3.1 is now available on the market. Here are the release notes:

NEW: The Hotness!
NEW: Help text displayed when first viewing a board game
NEW: Ratings for each subdomain
MOD: Change look of stats and poll bars
MOD: Change board game loading message
BUG: Correct syncing for usernames with spaces
BUG: Correct syncing of polls for player age 21+
BUG: Increase timeouts for more reliable syncing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [38] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.