Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
809 Posts
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [33] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: BoardGameGeek for Android App rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Android-App-BGG [+] geektool [+] android [+] app [+] BGG_Geek_Tools [+] [View All]
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
ianoble wrote:
Since there isn't a link to the official Android Market on the main post, I thought I'd put it here:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.boardgamegeek&feat...

Hmm...I think I posted my comments on the wrong app, as that link shows the one I have!

I'll post them again:

crazylegs wrote:
crazylegs wrote:
Recently downloaded this app. A couple of comments so far...

Would be nice to be able to log plays offline, then sync when have a connection.

Geekmails and subscriptions might be nice features (via push?), as would my ratings for games shown somehow.

Nice app tho, thanks!

Also, from the iPhone app...perhaps having some comments and ordering the games you own alphabetically so they're easy to find.

Would also be good to have a search of your collection. And ability to view wishlist.

But really to be useful I want to be able to look up games, log plays, comment and rate on the fly, on or offline (then sync).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a ton! I look forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
Image is from Turandot. It looks just like me.
mbmbmbmbmb
* Would be nice to be able to log plays offline, then sync when have a connection.
I've got this working set to be delivered in the next release.

* Geekmails and subscriptions might be nice features (via push?)
Not currently on the radar, primarily since they're not in the API.

* ...as would my ratings for games shown somehow.
We're not yet capturing your ratings, but it's on the roadmap (https://trello.com/c/0VAzaAaJ). Incidentally we're starting to have more data than my non-designer skills have ability to display nicely. If anyone is interested in helping, apply within.

* perhaps having some comments and ordering the games you own alphabetically so they're easy to find.
We do this already. I'd like to sort by other means as well.

* Would also be good to have a search of your collection. And ability to view wishlist.
Again you can do this. While searching, you will get hints from your collection. You can view your wishlist by making sure it is synced and filtering your collection view.

* But really to be useful I want to be able to look up games, log plays, comment and rate on the fly, on or offline (then sync).
You should be able to look up and log offline with the next release, but not yet comment or rate. Hopefully soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty fantastic app! Kudos to both of you.

A few suggestions:

I couldn't find how to show my own personal comments/rating/has parts etc for each game. Another tab for personal stuff would be nice.

And speaking of personal stuff - it would be really nice if one could filter/sync a collection by personal tags. Like for example I have an "icehouse" tag I'd like to see whenever I pull out my pyramids. I think this would be a little tricky tho because despite my begging, there's no tags in the xml api. So one might need to write an html scraper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ccomeaux wrote:
Next release, I will be sure to add the APK where Fire users can get it. Maybe I'll even uploaded it before the next release. But definitely with the next release.

That would be great, I'd like to try it on my Playbook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaelistus wrote:
This is a pretty fantastic app! Kudos to both of you.
Thanks! There's a team of 5 of us now which you can see in the about screen of the app.

Kaelistus wrote:
I couldn't find how to show my own personal comments/rating/has parts etc for each game. Another tab for personal stuff would be nice.

We've just started working on that internally. I'm not sure the best way to display this since for any game you can have 0 or more copies in your collection. It might work to have a single tab displaying all of the copies, but I'm open to suggestions.

Kaelistus wrote:
And speaking of personal stuff - it would be really nice if one could filter/sync a collection by personal tags. Like for example I have an "icehouse" tag I'd like to see whenever I pull out my pyramids. I think this would be a little tricky tho because despite my begging, there's no tags in the xml api. So one might need to write an html scraper.

I'd prefer to wait for this to be exposed in the XML API. We have a decently long wish list that we can keep ourselves busy for a while. I've added it to the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ccomeaux wrote:
* Would be nice to be able to log plays offline, then sync when have a connection.
I've got this working set to be delivered in the next release.

* Geekmails and subscriptions might be nice features (via push?)
Not currently on the radar, primarily since they're not in the API.

* ...as would my ratings for games shown somehow.
We're not yet capturing your ratings, but it's on the roadmap (https://trello.com/c/0VAzaAaJ). Incidentally we're starting to have more data than my non-designer skills have ability to display nicely. If anyone is interested in helping, apply within.

* perhaps having some comments and ordering the games you own alphabetically so they're easy to find.
We do this already. I'd like to sort by other means as well.

* Would also be good to have a search of your collection. And ability to view wishlist.
Again you can do this. While searching, you will get hints from your collection. You can view your wishlist by making sure it is synced and filtering your collection view.

* But really to be useful I want to be able to look up games, log plays, comment and rate on the fly, on or offline (then sync).
You should be able to look up and log offline with the next release, but not yet comment or rate. Hopefully soon!

Thanks for this. Logging plays and commenting/rating offline for me are the most useful things that prevent me from currently making use of the app, so it's nice to know they're on the roadmap!

In terms of filtering games, I discovered since I wrote that comment how to display but it still seems a little clunky to me. At the moment I have to go into settings and choose the max filter, then add filters when I want to view. What's annoying is it doesn't remember my filters. To give an example, I chose Own and Wishlist, but most of the time I just want to see one or the other. It would be nice to have a quicker way of flicking between those than having to apply a filter each time. Or, remember my last filter so I can keep it on owned and just change if I wanted to view wishlist. In any case it's too long winded as is: I have to go More>Add filter>Collection status>Own to change the view, which is double the number of clicks I'd like!

Hope that comes across as helpful rather than moany
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:
Thanks for this. Logging plays and commenting/rating offline for me are the most useful things that prevent me from currently making use of the app, so it's nice to know they're on the roadmap!

You should be able to log games today. Let me know if you're having any issues.

crazylegs wrote:
In terms of filtering games, I discovered since I wrote that comment how to display but it still seems a little clunky to me. At the moment I have to go into settings and choose the max filter, then add filters when I want to view. What's annoying is it doesn't remember my filters. To give an example, I chose Own and Wishlist, but most of the time I just want to see one or the other. It would be nice to have a quicker way of flicking between those than having to apply a filter each time. Or, remember my last filter so I can keep it on owned and just change if I wanted to view wishlist. In any case it's too long winded as is: I have to go More>Add filter>Collection status>Own to change the view, which is double the number of clicks I'd like!

Hope that comes across as helpful rather than moany

That's certainly helpful. The filters in settings control what is synced from web. You'll want to include as little as you need to improve the speed. Viewing your collection shows ALL of these statuses. The goal is to be able to save these filters so you can easily flip between all/owned/wishlist/etc. Coming soon (-er or later )...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ccomeaux wrote:
Coming soon (-er or later )...

Cool, thanks!

ccomeaux wrote:

You should be able to log games today. Let me know if you're having any issues.

I just tried this (even a fresh download of the app) but still can't save the play offline. error message:

org.apache.conn.
HttpHostConnectException: Connection to
http://www.boardgamegeek.com refused

So I guess it's still trying to connect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:
I just tried this (even a fresh download of the app) but still can't save the play offline. error message:

org.apache.conn.
HttpHostConnectException: Connection to
http://www.boardgamegeek.com refused

So I guess it's still trying to connect.

Oops. I missed "offline" in your original message. You're right, that's not working yet, but it's coming next release. I plan on polishing what's currently working in development and getting that out to the market, or the Play Store, in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank L Larsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
i have a problem with the app, it says I have a game in my collection that I have not and I can not remove it, it's not in my collection on the website, but it is only on the app

have tried to re set app, but it diten help, and I've tried to delete app and it does not help

I like the app, good job

Frank L Larsen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Aspley
Queensland
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank, did you try doing a sync? If you delete the app you will probably need to delete the associated data as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it isn't neccessary to delete the App itself - but to delete Cache and Data of the App in the Settings og the phone. (As mentioned above by friendless)

Also, do you have any information recorded (in BGG) to the game? Wishlist, Want-In-Trade or other? That could be the reason it shows up...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank L Larsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
do not know how I delete the data, and I have sync the app.
I have the game on my Plays list, and there is not any of the games I've played that have come on my collection list, only one of the game

sorry my bad English, googel translate

Frank L Larsen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Aspley
Queensland
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Settings / Applications / Manage Applications / BoardGameGeek / Clear Data
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank L Larsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Many thanks for your help, now it's ok
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having a problem logging plays. Or maybe, I should say I'm having a problem logging into BGG--whenever I try to log a play, it says that I should verify that my username and password are correct. What's weird is that I've been using this app without a problem for a couple of years, and just last week it started giving me this message. I've tried re-inputing my username and password, I've tried clearing the application cache, I've tried re-syncing, I've tried reinstalling the app completely, and nothing seems to work.

Interestingly, my wife (Ibaimendi) used to use this app on her phone, but she started experiencing the exact same problems several months ago.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.0.2. She's using a HTC Incredible running Android 2.3.4.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phrim wrote:
I'm having a problem logging plays. Or maybe, I should say I'm having a problem logging into BGG--whenever I try to log a play, it says that I should verify that my username and password are correct. What's weird is that I've been using this app without a problem for a couple of years, and just last week it started giving me this message. I've tried re-inputing my username and password, I've tried clearing the application cache, I've tried re-syncing, I've tried reinstalling the app completely, and nothing seems to work.

Interestingly, my wife (Ibaimendi) used to use this app on her phone, but she started experiencing the exact same problems several months ago.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.0.2. She's using a HTC Incredible running Android 2.3.4.

Any ideas?

Nothing that seems obvious. We're about to release a new version any day now, so I'd like to wait and see if that clears it up. If it doesn't, feel free to send me a Geek Mail and I'll see how I can help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 3.5 should be showing up in the Play market now. Not too many changes, but there were quite a few bug fixes that seemed to be happening a fair bit. As always, let us know how it's working. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if you guys want to fool with it or not, but could you possibly submit the BGG app to the Amazon App Store? If it requires a registration fee, I'd be happy to chip in to cover that expense. Perhaps other Fire users would do the same?

An apk will also work just fine, but in the Amazon Store, the Kindle Fire would get automatic update notifications and simple downloads. Either way, as long as I can get it to work on my Fire, I'll be happy.

And please, keep up the great work, this app is the bomb!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Henkell
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying this out on my new Fire, my 1st Android device. I have to reply in the browser, but this is a pain to type with anyway. I'd like this app to show the comments on games. I spend time reading and learning from them. I'd also like my collection to show as big pics like the gallery view. I'd rather show off games this way. I think it's more exiting to ask company to choose a game from the pictures. Another important part of a portable BGG is rules clarification. For that matter, the whole forum for each game would be helpful.

EDIT: Wow, Fire's editing system doesn't like BGG. So, the ability to post from the app would be nice. Sometimes I'm too sunk in to get up and use the computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words.

We don't have any plans to upload it to the Amazon app store, but you can get the APK here: http://code.google.com/p/boardgamegeek/downloads. No one has tested this yet, so you'll have to let us know if it works.

You should be able to see both comments and forums for a game by pressing the menu button.

We hope to make things a little nicer on a tablet, including bigger thumbnails. However, this isn't on the immediate radar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Henkell
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, sometimes I'm a tired idiot. I found the comments, but they're not sorted by rating. I like to watch the opinions change as the rating lowers. I also stop reading the comments when I get to the ones without ratings.

I didn't find the games' forums, but at least there's a link to the BGG pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I converted the apk file to a bar file for my Blackberry Playbook, it's 100% compatible.

Seems to be working fine, with one bit of weirdness. Going into my collection, I would see it updating all the box covers, but then it would stop after 2 or 3 pages. I had to leave to another screen then come back for a few more screens worth, repeat until done kind of thing.

One interface suggestion would be that when you first go into the collection screen, prompt yes/no to download the collection instead of just displaying 'no info'. Took me a long time to discover how to do sync it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brodhead
WI
flag msg tools
Rule #2 - The Double Tap
badge
Braaaaiiiiinnnnnnssssss
mbmbmbmbmb
I just installed the BGG app on my new Galaxy S III and I cannot log any plays. It keeps telling me that my username or password is incorrect. I have cleared the sync, uninstalled the app and reinstalled and nothing works. Any ideas?

If it helps, I am more than willing to test on my phone. It is running Android 4.0.4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [33] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.