Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Evans
United States
Stanwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am moving to Spokane, WA and I am looking for any weekly game groups or board game activities going on in the area. Like to play a wide variety of games, but favorites include Cosmic Encounter and Arkham Horror. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Matthew, we're pretty dormant up here but there is a guild if you'd like to join. I think we're lacking someone willing to host a consistent game night. Also, I'm organizing the board games for SpoCon if you want to make the trip over in a couple weeks.

Welcome to the area, when are you coming over and where will you be living?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Clifton
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
Stave it off, 1 2 3, now you can count to three!
badge
Do I know what rhetorical means?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm coming up there on the 10th of next month for a couple weeks. I'll be busy much of that with a big family reunion but I'd love to at least try and fit in a game night with another BGGer. I'm trying to build something of a semi regular group for my dad as he's in need of a fun hobby (he loves when I come and brings games to play) to take his mind off of work. GM me if you're interested and in the area by then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ʇllıʍ)
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't promise weekly participation, but I would like to be "in the loop" if something develops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tubbs
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a couple of friends over this weekend and we were discussing this very thing, the lack of an organized gaming group in Spokane that is. We have a group of 6 or 8 of us that love to to play games, and would do it on a regular basis if we could. Unfortunately, given busy schedules (especially in the summer) we are lucky if we get together once a month.
Our thought is that we need a larger group and a centralized meeting location, preferably where it is okay to have a couple beers (I'd happily host but live out on the north side which makes for quite a haul for the south hill or valley people)and with a regular weekly meeting time so that on any given week there would be enough people showing up to get in some decent gaming.
Anyway, at least a couple of us intend to go to SpoCon this coming weekend (It will be our first Con. Break us in easy). I am really looking forward to getting some gaming in and would like to meet some other people that might be able to help establish a Spokane gaming group.
Sean, since you are the gaming guru for the con, I look forward to meeting you and would love to hear any thoughts you might have regarding getting a gaming group started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I look forward to seeing you at the Con, Eric. I'll be taking down names to form some sort of a mailing list, but I figure if we want to keep the momentum of the con going, it'd be good to have some sort of a meetup planned ahead of tie. Any suggestions on a venue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Worley
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
What about a meeting room at one of the spokane libraries, Sean? As far as I can tell it wouldn't violate their terms of use (the beer might be an issue, though) as long as we keep it open to the public. It might work for a good planning venue, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Clifton
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I selfishly vote for the Valley library! (at least for when I'll be in town come next week )

Seriously though, great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tubbs
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean, It was good to meet you at Spocon. Sam and I had fun playing Catacombs and he made me order a copy when we got home. Luckily Boards & Bits had some copies. I wish we could have got some more games in but we had some family obligations. I'll send you my contact information in a direct message so you can contact me for any future gaming meet ups.

Regarding venue, I think the library (probably Downtown to keep it central) would be a good idea. The only problem (other than the beer thing) is that I think they close by 9, and if my usual gaming nights are any indication, that will not work at all. The one place I think might have a good spot, but I will have to give them a call to confirm, is the Northern Lights brewery pub. I'm sure if we did a game meet up on a slower night like Thursdays it would work out well. I'll look into it. Other thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
etubbs wrote:
Sean, It was good to meet you at Spocon. Sam and I had fun playing Catacombs and he made me order a copy when we got home. Luckily Boards & Bits had some copies. I wish we could have got some more games in but we had some family obligations. I'll send you my contact information in a direct message so you can contact me for any future gaming meet ups.

Regarding venue, I think the library (probably Downtown to keep it central) would be a good idea. The only problem (other than the beer thing) is that I think they close by 9, and if my usual gaming nights are any indication, that will not work at all. The one place I think might have a good spot, but I will have to give them a call to confirm, is the Northern Lights brewery pub. I'm sure if we did a game meet up on a slower night like Thursdays it would work out well. I'll look into it. Other thoughts?

Sorry you couldn't have stayed longer, Eric. I had my own family commitments to run off to for a while, too. I think Northern Lights is a good idea, at least worth a shot. Looking at the library locations, I think they actually all close by 8pm. Unless we get together on a weekend, that's not going to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jameus Hutchens
United States
Spokane
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also like to voice my interest in joining a gaming group in Spokane. The north side or central would work best for me, but I am willing to travel. I have also toyed with the idea of possibly host something at my place, but I have yet to my wife's approval.

I certainly think there are enough of us in the area to start something up. And honestly it might work best for every one to just meet in a public place to start off regardless. Please keep my posted if anything gets planned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Pullman
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just moved to Pullman, and we have the Palouse boardgamers down here, but I was in Spokane today to pick up a friend from the airport. I'd be interested in a monthly game group, if it were some all-day, weekend sort of thing. In the winter I might be less predisposed to coming up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow I stumbled on the Coffee Socials website and they apparently host a game night on Tuesdays from 7-10. Perhaps that would be a good start? They're near GU, Indiana and Division.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ʇllıʍ)
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BookandGame wrote:
Somehow I stumbled on the Coffee Socials website and they apparently host a game night on Tuesdays from 7-10. Perhaps that would be a good start? They're near GU, Indiana and Division.

Nice find. It looks interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Clifton
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. I prefer and think a coffee shop would be much more conducive to growing the group and appealing over a brewery or pub. Let us know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jameus Hutchens
United States
Spokane
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the sounds good as well. Let me know if people are thinking about showing up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tubbs
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like it just might work. In fact, I was just texting one of my gaming friends about playing some Claustrophobia. If he is up for it we might be able to scope this place out tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent them an email asking them about their game night and their hours. I'll post if I hear anything. I won't be able to make it out there myself until family life settles down a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jameus Hutchens
United States
Spokane
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to go and check out the place as well tonight (8/10). Maybe I'll see some you down there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Worley
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I'll roll in there as well about eight this evening and check things out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd give them a call first, the hours on the website contradict themselves in places.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tubbs
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, here's the deal.
I just got off the phone with a very nice woman at Coffee Social. She was aware that the information on the website was not up to date.
They are currently open until 8pm Mon. - Fri., but, she thinks that the Thursday hours may have changed recently and they are open until 10 on Thursdays (she works during the day and wasn't quite sure). She did though say that they often have music on Thursdays which might complicate things.
She said they are very open to having people come hang out and play games and that it would be okay to bring our own tables and chairs if needed.
A friend of mine and I will be going there tonight around 5:30 to check it out and get in a game of Claustrophobia. We are hoping they have a table big enough. If anyone stops by it should be obvious who we are.
I'll report back tomorrow on whether this would be a good place for a consistent meeting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Eric, I was worried that might be the case. Let us know how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Worley
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
So how did everone fare at Coffee Social?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tubbs
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coffee social was fine although likely not the place for an ongoing meeting, mostly because they close too early to really be a viable solution.
Merlyn's may work. They have tables and are game friendly, but again they close a bit early (9pm). I'm thinking we need a place that will be open until at least 10pm.
Sean, any chance you would be willing to message the Boards&Bits guys to see if they know of any space that might work?
Once the summer winds down and I am a little less busy on the weekends I can spend a bit more time trying to find a place. Hopefully we come up with something sooner.
The search continues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [24] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.