Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Maher
Canada
Collingwood
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

The following exchange was posted on the KenMGames website, and is reproduced here with Jazmine's permission,

There is a little confusion about how to combine the various actions of the mighty men.
Some questions:

If I use a farmer to sow the shepherd into another bin, can I then use the shepherd to rearrange the binds next to him?

Can I use a shepherd to move a chieftan so that he is placed next to the shepherd and then proceed to use the chieftan acting like a shepherd to rearrange the bins next to him?

It would seem that two shepherds next to each other could arrange bins indefinitely.

Should the chieftan act like the wise mother, warrior, or assassin if he sits in a bin next to them? What if next to all of them, which one does he act like?

Should the chieftan act like the trickster if he lands next to him and then move backwards?

Should the spy make all the other mighty men in the bin with him revert, or only one (of the players choice)?

Jazmine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Maher
Canada
Collingwood
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve added my own rules to help with some confusion. See if you like them:

1. The Farmer or Shepherd stays in the bin he lands in while performing his action.

2. The spy only reverts one other Mighty Man in a bin he lands in.

3. If you pick up more than one Mighty Man, you perform all their actions in the order they are sown. The player can choose this order.

4. If the Chieftan lands next to two or more Mighty Men, he has to choose only one that he will act like.

5. If the Chieftan is at any point in a bin next to the Warrior, Wise Mother, or Assassin. He acts like them. If he is next to more than one of them, he acts like the combination of their characteristics.

6. When determining the Trickster and Hunter’s movement, X = the total amount of pieces picked up.

7. The Trickster is always sowed backwards first, before regular sowing continues.

8. The Hunter is always sowed last.

Jazmine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Maher
Canada
Collingwood
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazmine,

Thanks for the questions and the rule suggestions! I can see how in my threadbare rules, there is room for confusion when using multiple pieces.

The idea I had in mind (and I apologize that this wasn’t clearer) is that there when considering the actions a difference should be maintained between pieces that are sown and those that are re-arranged. Any piece that is lifted and sown may use its power. Any piece that is re-arranged by the power of another piece is simply treated as a regular piece (they do not get to use their power for being shuffled around).

As for your rule suggestions:
1. is how I intended the pieces to be played.
2. is a good “gentle” way to do it. I say get them all (so be careful how many you put together!)
3. is absolutely right!
4. the Chieftan “may” use the ability of another piece but is not constrained to do so. And yes if there is more than one adjacent you choose which one.
5. This is certainly an interesting idea, though maybe a little more complex than what I had in mind. (see #4 above) I would be interested to see how it plays out.
6. This would be an interesting variant to the original, but it also sounds like fun.
7. I don’t know that this is necessary, but again, I think it a worthwhile idea to try!
8. This, I think would limit the potential of the piece (and much of its inherent power). If he is always sown last, then he must always be in the final bin and begin his extra movement from there. If he is sown anywhere along the line and then moved the possibilities are much more compelling (at least to my thinking).

By the way, this discussion also led me to see that I should clarify the Chieftan piece a little further. When he chooses to use the ability of a piece beside him, should that piece be moved elsewhere the Chieftan no longer has that ability (eg, Wise Mother, or Warrior) A ruler is nothing without his subjects after all!

Thanks again for your questions and your insights! I hope you are enjoying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the spy change permanent, you take other man out and replace with a regular bead?

Or just til moved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.