Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Sometimes it would be nice to know how long a game you've never seen before takes to setup. This would be an open text field like Playing Time and hopefully people would put in accurate times. (Or at least as accurate as the playing times are.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
...how long a game you've never seen before ...
I try to ponder what you might hope to accomplish once this is done. If a typical game takes 3 minutes and this one takes 6 minutes, is that significant? How does change your behavior?

A 3 minute difference on a 1 hour game is nothing? A 3 minute difference on a 10 minute game is prohibitive? Might not the ratio of latter example be fairly obvious by indirect messages, like parts count or reviews ? Or you'll learn it after your first sighting? Is it really a 15 minute game, then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
TVis wrote:
jmucchiello wrote:
...how long a game you've never seen before ...
I try to ponder what you might hope to accomplish once this is done. If a typical game takes 3 minutes and this one takes 6 minutes, is that significant? How does change your behavior?

It has no use for games with short setup times. But there are games with setup times of 30+ minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this suggestion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Moving my blog to sofrankly.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that your mileage may vary. Out of the box, Fury of Dracula takes a few minutes to set up. Once I thought it through, it's now down to next to nothing. Setup time is heavily dependent on packaging/repackaging.

Edited for spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
feldmafx wrote:
The problem is that your mileage may vary. Out of the box, Fury of Dracula takes a few minutes to set up. Once I thought it through, it's now down to next to nothing. Setup time is heavily dependent on packaging/repackaging.

Playing time is even more heavily variable and it's there. I would expect this time to represent the time it takes a casual player of the game to set up the game. Not the time for someone who plays the game weekly. And not the time for a noob to set it up. Perhaps, it's the time it takes to setup the game from memory plus 2-4 rulebook verifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
It has no use for games with short setup times. But there are games with setup times of 30+ minutes.
So how many of those long ones exist? What proportion out of a database with 40k entries? Is it justified as a separate field for the entire population, or should it be just one more sentence in the game description?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
Sometimes it would be nice to know how long a game you've never seen before takes to setup. This would be an open text field like Playing Time and hopefully people would put in accurate times. (Or at least as accurate as the playing times are.)

Surely this varies by huge amounts depending on how carefully the pieces are packed up and arranged last time?

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.