Score Four» Forums » General

Subject: Fond memories rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Slashes-With-Claws Slashes-With-Claws
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
This was a popular game for me and my dad to play. We could spend hours playing round after round. Sometimes they ended quick, other times they got to a point where most of the board was filled up or where playing in half the open spaces would let your opponent win.

We both had are preferred strategies: he liked to get two stacks of three high on the same row, which was a guaranteed win, or try to control the second level, while I liked to try for odd angles and forced moves. There is a surprising amount of strategy and trickery in this game, it is anything but just 3D tic-tac-toe. The third dimension does not just add to the complexity of moves and choices, it squares it, or cubes it as the case may be. Especially since the pieces stack, playing on the third level requires pieces on the first and second level of that peg. Many times to make the move I need I had to force my dad to play on a peg otherwise if I played there he would block the move by playing where I wanted to.

I should see about playing another game of this with him some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. This game is all about the nostalgia for me as well.....it takes me back to the early 70s. It was a treat to play it with mom and dad...and with my brothers. I can remember my parents playing this game with friends. I can remember making different patterns with the beads....and two things I enjoyed were:
1) trying to stack 5 beads on the pole (the 5th bead would balance on the top)
2) stack 4 beads on a pole and then try to pull out the pole without having the beads fall.

dumb? yes.....but great memories none the less.

I just ordered a copy of score four from ebay to try it out with my kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My grandparents had this game and I used to play it with them or other family members back as far as I can remember. One of the metal pegs was missing and it had been replaced with a finishing nail. It was just long enough to get the forth ball to sit on top, but not go all the way through. Fond memories indeed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.