Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Arcus-Goldberg
United States
Natick
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am a little ahead of myself here because I am seeking ideas for a variant.

It seems that in this game we are retrieving treasures of power of each element. It would be a nice addition to the game if they could be used in some way. Not a game-breaking power (although it might make sense to have the power of the Water Chalice stop All flooding forever) but something useful.

What are some ideas we could add to the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this...

When you collect a treasure, place it on the tile where it was collected. That tile may not sink while the treasure is on it. You may remove the treasure from the tile to perform one of the following special actions: 1) fly a player to any tile 2) shore up any tile 3) draw two less flood cards this turn 4) a player may immediately pass a card to another player

You could separate each of those abilities to work specifically with each of the treasures (e.g. the Lion treasure allows the free flight).

That doesn't seem too overpowered, but it would be a pretty nice benefit, so I would either offset it with something negative or use it only for the Elite and Legendary levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Arcus-Goldberg
United States
Natick
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for a great start. I think separating the powers would be pretty cool. Did you have in mind that a player would have to spend an action to then pick up the treasure again (to later bring to Fool's Landing and win the game?)

I also think it could work in some way where a character has the treasure and then can use it at a cost to themselves. I'd consider making it that you get the benefit of the power but it costs all 3 actions of the player's turn. This to me would also represent that it would be an easy sacrifice back at home, but here on the island it is difficult to correctly use the item. I'd call it "Using the Power Bomb"

Using your ideas:
Air - Fly a player to any tile
Fire - Pass a card
Water - Draw two less flood cards
Earth - Shore up any tile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I beat you to it...

I think simpler is better, so I wouldn't add any actions (and what's the point of the benefit if you have to spend 3 actions?) or other requirements. And it's not a question of needing to pick up the treasure again; you still have the treasure once you gain it, but the physical component just represents the power available... think of it as a residual power or something like that.

As a strictly simple benefit for the players, I think that would work well (I'll test it later and see how it goes). The way to balance it is to introduce something else that's a detriment, like the Tidal Wave card I suggested in another thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Scott Kinzie |
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree that the Treasures should have special powers, but...

My suggestion (to Matt Leacock) would be to add the Treasure Powers into an official expansion for the game. There would be a new set of "region" or "dungeon" cards making up a new place to explore with lots of powerful tricks and traps and events... and some new game-ending objective. The adventurers would bring along the Treasures from the base game and they would now have element-based powers to assist the adventurers.

I think adding them into the base game is too unbalancing, but creating a whole new region with a new set of obstacles gives you the ability to build in balance for the Treasure Powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DenverWolf wrote:

I totally agree that the Treasures should have special powers, but...

I think adding them into the base game is too unbalancing, but creating a whole new region with a new set of obstacles gives you the ability to build in balance for the Treasure Powers.

I disagree. I just played a game with them and they were helpful, but not too much so. I barely won on Normal level and had used two of those treasure powers to help... And on Elite and especially Legendary, I think they would be very welcome as a boost to your chances, if you feel you want to add them in. And surely there are ways, with the base game system alone, to provide a balancing negative offset. For example, a Tidal Wave card like so...

Quote:
My suggestion (to Matt Leacock) would be to add the Treasure Powers into an official expansion for the game. There would be a new set of "region" or "dungeon" cards making up a new place to explore with lots of powerful tricks and traps and events... and some new game-ending objective objective. The adventurers would bring along the Treasures from the base game and would they would now have element-based powers to assist the adventurers

I'm not certain, but I wouldn't expect an official expansion for this. Gamewright isn't known for that at all... and they've had some big selling games that by our "hobby gamer" standards would normally merit expansion after expansion. But is there a Rat-a-tat-cat: Cities & Knights or a Slamwich: On the Brink? Of course, I hope I'm wrong... I'd love to see more, and I'm sure Matt can come up with some great ideas or already had some more great stuff that didn't make it in the box. Perhaps he might provide a free PnP expansion like with Roll Through the Ages? That'd be nice. But in the meantime or until we hear about some kind of official expansion, I think we're on our own to develop some ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night.
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
How about: when a treasure is retrieved by a player, the token is placed in front of the player. On their turn, a player in possession of a treasure token may discard a matching treasure card and spend one action to:
Air - Fly to any tile
Fire - Pass a card
Water - Draw two less flood cards
Earth - Shore up any tile
(these are the same actions as previously posted but with air only moving the player).

Also, players can pass the treasure tokens to each other when on the same square for an action just as they would pass a normal card.

I like this concept because it feels like Pandemic where you become more effective after curing a particular disease, and it makes the treasure cards continue to be useful after collecting a treasure (also similar to Pandemic where city cards are always useful for moving). And it makes the treasures more interesting in my opinion.

Thanks for the neat ideas and artwork previous posters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Arcus-Goldberg
United States
Natick
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like this, thanks for adding it and I look forward to trying it out.

Your concept matches to what I was looking for.

Additionally, discarding a matching card means the power can not always be used, and represents to me a kind of payment, activation, or research necessary to use it.

Edit:
Can someone with art skills draw up this idea onto a summary card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So there's an Artscow sale, 25% off through Dec. 1st. I'd like to get some kind of deck available with the alternate setup cards and some of the other variant roles and things... Does this work for the treasure powers, with the suggested changes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I've just found the artscow link and notice there is loads of stuff in it about a traitor, but I can't find the thread where this idea was discussed and developed. Can anyone help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey A
msg tools
mbmb
Uncle G wrote:
Hi,

I've just found the artscow link and notice there is loads of stuff in it about a traitor, but I can't find the thread where this idea was discussed and developed. Can anyone help?

Here you go:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/6326536
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Roth
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
My daughter (11) and I have been fooling around with ideas for the "Treasure Powers". (It's an obvious idea, as noted earlier in this thread, since they are *supposed* to be magical in the first place!)

One approach is to treat the Treasures as special one-time events. (Anybody read Diane Duane's "A Wizard Abroad"? Something very similar going on there.) We're experimenting with the list below. Each one requires that the player holding the treasure stop and use all 3 actions in a turn to activate the Treasure. Each Treasure may be activated ONLY ONCE! After that they're discharged, so to speak.

Earth -- "Lock" this tile into the Earth's mantle. It can never sink. (Fools' Landing is probably the obvious choice.)

Water -- LOWER the water level by one.

Fire -- Choose a sunken tile spot adjacent to your location. Creates a mini volcano and RAISES a sunken tile back to the surface. Probably have to pick a tile at random, unless you've kept track of what was where when it sank. (This tile can flood or sink again in the usual way.)

Air -- The "Moses Effect". Parts the waters along all sunken tiles, for one complete round thru all players (including activating player's next turn). So you can walk on the rock deep below where the water was. Pilot cannot fly during this round (too windy!), nor do helicopter lifts work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Roth
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Alternately, for less powerful, but reusable abilities, we've been tinkering with these. Can be used once per turn, no action cost.

Earth -- creates a temporary (mud?) bridge over a sunken tile. The bearer can walk "over" the sunken spaces.

Water -- can push water around. E.g. blow water on a flooded adjacent tile to the NEXT tile in the same direction. The originally flooded tile is now shored up. But if the NEXT tile was flooded, now it sinks. Basically a free shore-up, if you're willing to sacrifice another tile.

Fire -- "burn down" a tile. Basically removes trees, jungles, whatever. Now anyone can move thru this tile for 1/2 action point. Rather like the effect of the Navigator. Need some way to mark a tile as burned. If we were realistic, a burned-down tile should flood easier, but that just gets complicated.

Air -- fly, as in Pilot or helicopter lift.

Side note -- elemental magic rules apply, e.g. if Earth and Air are in the same tile, neither of them work. Ditto Fire and Water. But that's just a minor nuisance (or bit of fun).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of these are pretty interesting - going to have to give them a shot on this weekend's 'Hurricane Watch Night'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katilyn Dayok

Michigan
msg tools
My friend and I played this game and had a blast, but we thought that the treasures should have powers too. One idea of ours was to connect the treasure tiles with tunnels. The treasures would be under ground, so one of the treasure cards that you could get would be a shovel, or as soon as you get four of the same treasure cards. I mean, like, you can go on the treasure tiles even if you don't have all the cards, right? So, who would miss a powerful, magical, wondrous, object that has to do with one of the four elements, unless it's very well hidden or underground.

Another idea was to have the treasures have powers, but with a down side. so, like, the fire object could evaporate all the water on top of a sunken tile, but on the flip side, the steam coming off of the tile would make it to hot to cross for one or two turns. Earth object: would create a crack in the earth and all the water from adjacent flooded and/or sinking tiles would pour down into the crack, but that tile would sink. (we were thinking of the earthquake in Virgina) Air object: would create a tornado (thinking of Irene) and blow all the off a sunk tile, but then flood two adjacent tiles. Water object: the chalice would suck up all the water from adjacent tile, but then creates a whirlpool on that tile making it unsafe to cross for one or two turns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
So there's an Artscow sale, 25% off through Dec. 1st. I'd like to get some kind of deck available with the alternate setup cards and some of the other variant roles and things... Does this work for the treasure powers, with the suggested changes?

I think I like these powers the best. Simple, but within the theme and useful without being over powered. Although the Chalice taking 2 less flood cards seems a bit over powered. At least in the early game. Maybe 1 less flood card in level 1-3, but then 2 less at 4 up.

The idea of using the treasure locations as underground tunnels sounds good too. Only as long as you have that treasure though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.