England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Google 'NinjaDorg Fantasy Quest'
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just finished the card decks for my coop version of Descent and here's a little taster:

There rest are hosted on my blog: http://ratdorg.blogspot.com.

The rules are based heavily on Angus Bull's own solo adventure kit which can be found here so all credit due there. Just tried to streamline them, jazz the cards up some and add some extra bits and bobs I thought might help.

FYI Gelatinous Cube also has a great coop variant "Descent Quest" which many may find useful. That incorporates lots of expansion stuff but my rules use just the base game for now. Although Road to Legend bits may get used soon.

EDIT 1 - rules are now prettified here:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TGfI7jlgMzI/AAAAAAAAAN...

EDIT 2 - CLARIFICATIONS:

QUEST OBJECTIVE

There are doors on every exit to every tile. When you open a door for 2 MPs and place a new tile, each player draws one Encounter card from the Green Deck for that tile.
Once a player beats a Green Deck card which rewards him with a Bronze Treasure, he may only now draw from the Bronze Deck.
Once a player beats a Bronze Deck card which rewards him with a Silver Treasure, he may only now draw from the Silver Deck.
Once a player beats a Silver Deck card which rewards him with a Gold Treasure, he may only now draw from the Gold Deck.
The middle lowest card in the Gold Deck of 9 cards is the Quest Objective:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TE8mSy-8lDI/AAAAAAAAAG...

When you draw this card, draw another Gold Deck card to see what the final boss monster is. Replace one of the doors from this tile with the Red Rune door. Once you defeat the boss you gain the Red Rune and you may leave by the Red Rune door. If you do this, you have won the game!

PRINTING

To summarise you’ll need to print one of everything starting with the rules (above)...

The Gold Deck backs:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TE8oKZSwUGI/AAAAAAAAAH...
Go on the back of the Gold Deck cards:

The Silver Deck backs:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TE8oKPBChcI/AAAAAAAAAH...
Go on the back of the Silver Deck cards:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TE8mTYr-2iI/AAAAAAAAAG...

The Bronze Deck backs:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TE8oJfMj4zI/AAAAAAAAAH...
Go on the back of the Bronze Deck cards:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TE8mSBhQ1QI/AAAAAAAAAF...

The Green Start Deck backs:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TE8oJttXDAI/AAAAAAAAAH...
Go on the back of the Green Start Deck cards:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TE9ZUVq_IjI/AAAAAAAAAI...

And these are the Map Deck backs, you will need to print this image 3 times to have the right amount of backs to build the Map Deck:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TE8o1zUvMNI/AAAAAAAAAH...
They go on the back of the Map Deck cards:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TE8nilrASoI/AAAAAAAAAG...

If you print every image from this thread below (20 sides of A4 total if you print the "Map Deck backs" image 3 times) you will have everything you need to play. I’ve found it’s best to print onto card, cut out, and place the backs and fronts of each card together in regular sized card sleeves (usually 99p for 100), but you might be a bit more handy and be able to glue the backs and fronts together.

I do have them all in one PDF file but it is nearly 100 megs and so won’t fit on BGG. But if you PM me your email address I will send it to you using transferbigfiles.com.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These look awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spacehulk wrote:
These look awesome.

Thanks mate, about to post the rest of the stuff now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
COOPERATIVE DESCENT

SETUP

Each hero chooses a character card randomly and equips normally. Start on a cross-road tile, attach one dead end with a portal on it and place your heroes adjacent to it. Then remove all 2x2 pieces and 2x1 pieces from the game.

OBJECTIVE

If any hero is killed the game is over and the heroes have lost!
If the heroes make it to Gold Level, draw the Quest Objective, successfully beat the final boss and then all leave safely through the Red Rune door they have won the game!

GAMEPLAY

Each round consists of a Heroes phase and then a monsters phase. During the monsters phase, all monsters are activated and may move and have one round of Combat. Monsters with the highest number of movement points will move first, Masters move before minions.

1. All Ranged or Magic attack monsters will move to within 1 space and attack then move away as far as possible.
2. All Melee monsters will move adjacent to the hero and attack then move away as far as possible.
3. Ogres, Giants and Nagas will move adjacent to the hero and attack and stay there until he or they are dead.
4. If all heroes are in town, monsters will move to surround the Town Portal closest to them

NB. Large monsters can smash 1x1 blocking obstacles with 1 attack.

EXPLORING

At each exit to every area is a door that cannot be closed once opened - it costs 2MP to open (stop placing them if you run out of doors, but it still costs 2MP to discover the next area). Whenever a character opens a door to an unexplored area draw one map card from the Map deck and place the indicated tile however fits best.

Then each hero draws 1 Encounter card from the Dungeon Encounter deck equivalent to his highest treasure (everyone starts on green, reshuffle the relevant discard pile if there are none left) places that card in front of him. Resolve these Dungeon Encounters - and place monsters as instructed - in clockwise order starting with the hero who uncovered the new area. If there are no relevant monsters available to place discard the card and redraw instead. Monsters or card effects target only the hero with that card until he or the monsters are dead. Monsters move on to the next nearest hero if they cannot reach their target hero on any turn.

If after opening a door the hero still has movement or combat actions available he may continue his turn as normal unless any Encounter cards say otherwise.

SURGES

Unless otherwise specified for the monster, every 2 surges rolled by a monster adds 1 damage to the total against the hero.

REWARDS

If there are no active monsters on the board immediately resolve the REWARD of each Dungeon card (reward applies only to the hero who possesses the card) and then discard it.

THE POWER DIE

If there have been no monsters on the board and no Encounter cards have been drawn after one full heroes phase roll 1 power die: immediately draw and resolve an encounter card on the roll of a Blank.

If all heroes are in town at the same time roll 1 power die: immediately draw and resolve an encounter card on the roll of a Surge.

LONE HEROES & VILLAGERS

Lone heroes and villagers cannot trade, carry items, or reveal new areas. Lone heroes always start with full Fatigue and may use Fatigue for extra power dice/movement, etc but have way to replenish Fatigue when it is gone (unless otherwise stated, e.g. character ability).
To claim the reward for returning a Villager or Lone Hero to town, the hero in control of them must move himself to town and then that character to town in the same turn. Lone heroes and villagers will only ever be targeted by monsters if no heroes are reachable in any turn.

HINT - Lone heroes are very useful for combat as they give you an extra attack each turn, so be careful about 'cashing them in' straight away!

RAGING AND AIMING MONSTERS

Monsters Raging or Aimed "on their first turn" means their first successful attack. Similarly any monsters’ Dodge applies to the first turn in which they are attacked.

UNUSED SKILLS

It may be best to remove the following skill cards from the game before starting: Divine Retribution; Boggs the Rat; and Mata and Kata if playing solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the card decks are all finished too!

You can find them all here:

http://ratdorg.blogspot.com/

Here are some more samples:

Silver Encounters deck 2 of 2:

Map deck 1 of 4:

There are 17 jpegs of about 9 cards each in total and the PDF is over 100megs so I'm very leery of uploading them to the geek and pissing everyone off (I'll post a couple more though). Anyone any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Cheers for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BitTorrent would be one way, so people could share the load instead of relying on one server. Something like OpenBitTorrent.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Glenshaw
Pa
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering why you called it "cooperative descent". It has always been a cooperative game. I understand the changes as in if anyone dies you lose it just seems like a misleading name....

Or am I just being dumb? lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, here comes the whole "definition of a coop game" argument. Some folks think of Descent as a team game (the OL is a team of one.) In THIS case, coop means all players work together...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
Ah, here comes the whole "definition of a coop game" argument. Some folks think of Descent as a team game (the OL is a team of one.) In THIS case, coop means all players work together...

I couldn't believe it took that long for someone to say it.......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Okay, I thought this might happen. Help me out, what would be a better, clearer title for this variant please, people?
DM-less Descent? Random Descent? All Against The Dungeon Descent? Overlordless Descent? RanDescent? (Too dirty). Simple Coop/Solo Descent? "Descent Quest" has already been taken of course.

1 GG for the best title.

Also, how do I change the title of a thread once we get a new name?

Cheers for any help!

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:

Okay, I thought this might happen. Help me out, what would be a better, clearer title for this variant please, people?
DM-less Descent? Random Descent? All Against The Dungeon Descent? Overlordless Descent? RanDescent? (Too dirty). Simple Coop/Solo Descent? "Descent Quest" has already been taken of course.

1 GG for the best title.

Also, how do I change the title of a thread once we get a new name?

Cheers for any help!

ninja

Autodungeon Descent Variant?

Heroes of Descent

Solo/no Overlord Descent Variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Glenshaw
Pa
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:

I see what you mean by this.. but I did not mean anything offensive by or was my goal to start a debate that would get another forum thread locked.. ninja
I was merely confused because I consider Descent a team game. Heroes vs The Overlord.
Not really sure how else to classify it.. If you play against each other in anything beyond who killed the most monsters you will lose against everyone except the most incompetent of OL's.

ninjadorg wrote:

Descent: Horrors in the Cave.

What Lurks Beyond the Darkness?

Last Night in the Cave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I kinda expected this to just be a link to this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Co-op is perfect. The only games we have that are co-op are "everyone vs. the board". That's what you're making here, a game where the opposing "team" is the mechanics of the game, not an actual player, so everyone is working together to defeat the game.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
Heh, I kinda expected this to just be a link to this...

Yeah, I've been working on this a while since playtesting Angus Bull's Adventurer kit - see this thread from January

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4488094

- but now it seems pretteh pretteh timely considering how many dungeon crawlers are coming out soon. It's all very exciting.

Hopefully this offers something different. Or at least allows players who can't decide on an Overlord to go and bash monsters together instead...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Descent: Horrors in the Cave.

What Lurks Beyond the Darkness?

Last Night in the Cave

Nice. What about Descent Horror?

FYI anyone still with us, the rules are now uploaded in a prettified printable format here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I think Co-op is perfect. The only games we have that are co-op are "everyone vs. the board". That's what you're making here, a game where the opposing "team" is the mechanics of the game, not an actual player, so everyone is working together to defeat the game.

-shnar

Yeah, I sometimes play the base game with just two players, which makes it anything but cooperative! I enjoy not having to be the Overlord all the time so this is a nice way of getting to be a hero too.

In its current form it's pretty hard with only a couple of scraped victories. Been playtesting it quite heavily recently, running to an hour or two per session, so I'll post the results of that soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:

Thanks for nipping this in the bud so quickly. Feel like I've known you for years now, dude - from back in the day in the old Arkham Horror forums on FFG!

V late now.
Beer.
Bed.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the other card decks linked from my blog:

Green Encounters deck 1 of 2:

Bronze Encounters deck 1 of 1:

Silver Encounters deck 1 of 2:

Gold Encounters deck 1 of 1:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Green Encounters deck 2 of 2:

Map deck 2 of 4:

Map deck 3 of 4:

Map deck 4 of 4:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bronze Map Deck backs 1 of 1:

Green Map Deck backs 1 of 1:

Silver Map Deck backs 1 of 1:

Gold Map Deck backs 1 of 1:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misc Final Backs 1 of 2:

Misc Final Backs 2 of 2:

Map Deck Backs 1 of 3 (print 3 times):

There! If you print everything else once, you will need to print this last one 3 times and you'll have everything you need to give it a whirl ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some design notes
Honestly, I'm really not a fan of print and play or build it yourself stuff, I'd much rather have quality prints that look official or are done professionally but who can afford that?

So for this variant, short of printing them on Artscow or something the best solution I found was to print them in colour onto card, buy some regular sized card sleeves (FFG or similar fit nicely and they're about 99p for 100 sleeves), and cut them out separately putting the backs and fronts in together in each sleeve.

They look nice and shuffle well, and they've been a blast.

The key issue for me with the variant is that I don't want to add too many extra rules - keep it nice and simple and stick to the Descent core rules whilst keeping all the good stuff in so that anyone can just shuffle the cards and get going. Also, the decks have to be compatible with just the base game. Having said that I'm going to add a Road to Legend expansion in soon - an overland trip to 'find the dungeon' as it were.

I'm going to post some sessions and stats in this thread soon, I'll put the solo and coop stuff separately as they play out rather differently but I've had some cool and sometimes brutal discoveries.

I’ve already received a series of suggestions for optional rules, variants, harder/easier games so thanks for your input and thumbs and I’ll repost the best of these soon.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo sessions report - first 10 recorded games
Looking back since recording game details, my feeling is that it’s pretty hard (like, early level Warhammer Quest hard). I’m playing through with the 20 base game characters one by one and in 11 recorded games I only have 2 victories:

1. Andira 3C - wild talent, prodigy, inner fire - DIED BRONZE vs. RAGING BEASTMEN
2. Trenloe 4C - parry, battle cry, unmovable - DIED GOLD vs. DEMON KING
3. Grey Kerr 3C - Blessing, master archer, RAPID FIRE - VICTORY: 250GC + Elven Bow + Ring of Quickness + Greater Healing
4. Jaes 4C - Mighty, wild talent, telekinesis - DIED BRONZE vs. RAGING BEASTMEN
5. Silhouette 3C - Swift, skilled, acrobat - DIED BRONZE vs. large room with SPIDERS, RAZORWINGS + SORCERORS
6. Carthos 2C - Blessing, inner fire, vampire blood - DIED GREEN vs. first room with needles, cave-in + SKELETON AMBUSH
7. Bogran 2C - Tough, skilled, RAPID FIRE - VICTORY: 200GC + Death Scarab + Platemail + Scorpion Helmet
8. Ispher 3C - relentless, ambidextrous, master archer - DIED GREEN vs. SKELETON AMBUSH
9. Astarra 2C - vampire blood, holy aura, wild talent - DIED BRONZE vs. RAZORWING AMBUSH
10. Red Scorpion - cleaving, wild talent, master archer - DIED BRONZE vs. RAGING BEASTMEN
11. One Fist 4C - cleaving, rapid fire, skilled - DIED GREEN vs. BEASTMEN SCOUTS + SPIDER SWARM

A few observations:

1. Do monsters swarm portals or hide when you’re back in town? I had them down for swarming but then it’s easier for you to use Fatigue to port back to the dungeon and Battle to clear the monsters down. If they just run off into the dungeon you’ll have to track them down instead.

2. I’m thinking of bumping Starting Wounds for some characters too - since Conquest Points are irrelevant in Cooperative Descent, any hero starting with less than 12 Wounds may immediately bump his starting quota up to 12 Wounds.

3. I’ve made a coop variant where each player has 1 life potion which can bring back 1 hero at the end of a round in which he was killed - I’m wondering if solo heroes should get this option too, given the difficulty.

4. I’m thinking of nerfing some of those early Raging Beastman cards which will kill you unless you can really thin their ranks immediately.

5. You really dread pulling those larger rooms with the extra encounters.

6. It plays more quickly than I expected and is good fun.

I hope some of you find the time to give it a try and enjoy it as much as I'm doing!

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morten01 wrote:
Hi.

I really find your Co-op Descent idea interesting, but I have a few questions:

- In your rules you mention (under Objective) that if the heroes make it to gold level, draw the quest objective, beat the final boss, etc - you win. I can't get this to fit with the cards and the other rules. Is there something missing? (I can only find one page of rules)

- The backs for the different cards: How do they fit together, and especially the green, yellow and red ones? I can't find it anywhere.

- I have a bit of trouble printing them out. Any chance you have it all in one document to print?

Hope to hear from you.
Thx.

Morten

Hi Morten,

Thanks for your interest and sorry for any confusion, in my efforts to be brief I guess everything could have been laid out more neatly. I’m replying in the main thread to hopefully clear things up for everyone else too.

QUEST OBJECTIVE

There are doors on every exit to every tile. When you open a door for 2 MPs and place a new tile, each player draws one Encounter card from the Green Deck for that tile.
Once a player beats a Green Deck card which rewards him with a Bronze Treasure, he may only now draw from the Bronze Deck.
Once a player beats a Bronze Deck card which rewards him with a Silver Treasure, he may only now draw from the Silver Deck.
Once a player beats a Silver Deck card which rewards him with a Gold Treasure, he may only now draw from the Gold Deck.
The middle lowest card in the Gold Deck of 9 cards is the Quest Objective:

When you draw this card, draw another Gold Deck card to see what the final boss monster is. Replace one of the doors from this tile with the Red Rune door. Once you defeat the boss you gain the Red Rune and you may leave by the Red Rune door. If you do this, you have won the game!
This is all inferred in the rules but obviously needs clearly restating.

PRINTING

To summarise you’ll need to print one of everything starting with the rules:

The Gold Deck backs:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TE8oKZSwUGI/AAAAAAAAAH...
Go on the back of the Gold Deck cards:

The Silver Deck backs:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TE8oKPBChcI/AAAAAAAAAH...
Go on the back of the Silver Deck cards:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TE8mTYr-2iI/AAAAAAAAAG...

The Bronze Deck backs:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TE8oJfMj4zI/AAAAAAAAAH...
Go on the back of the Bronze Deck cards:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TE8mSBhQ1QI/AAAAAAAAAF...

The Green Start Deck backs:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TE8oJttXDAI/AAAAAAAAAH...
Go on the back of the Green Start Deck cards:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TE9ZUVq_IjI/AAAAAAAAAI...

And these are the Map Deck backs, you will need to print this image 3 times to have the right amount of backs to build the Map Deck:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TE8o1zUvMNI/AAAAAAAAAH...
They go on the back of the Map Deck cards:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TE8nilrASoI/AAAAAAAAAG...

If you print every image from the thread so far - excluding this post (20 sides of A4 total if you print the "Map Deck backs" image 3 times) - you will have everything you need to play. I’ve found it’s best to print onto card, cut out, and place the backs and fronts of each card together in regular sized card sleeves (usually 99p for 100), but you might be a bit more handy and be able to glue the backs and fronts together.

I do have them all in one PDF file but it is nearly 100 megs and so won’t fit on BGG. But if you PM me your email address I will send it to you using transferbigfiles.com.

Phew, I hope that clears things up for you!

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.