Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Mirkes
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Papa was a rollin' stone...
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently picked up a copy of Score Four (1971 Lakeside Games version) second-hand, and it appears to be complete. This confuses me somewhat, as there is a single large reddish bead (which may or may not belong in the set; I can't tell) and 4 "dice cups", for lack of a better descriptor. Two of them are shown in this picture, which is the exact version I have:

The dice cups appear to be part of the game, as the box insert includes a place for them.

I, however, cannot fathom what they are used for. I initially thought they would be used for holding each player's beads, but the board has a moat-like tray surrounding it which is where I would presume the beads go during play (as the above image demonstrates).

I read the rules, looking for some suggestion of a variant game or some other modification of the usual setup or play style that would use these cups, but the game's mum about why these cups are there.

So what are the cups used for, I wonder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slashes-With-Claws Slashes-With-Claws
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
When I play we use them for the beads. Fill two of your cups with beads then put the rest in the tray. When your part of the tray runs empty pour a cup of beads into it. Main reason is to keep them from rolling around all over the try and getting mixed up. Putting more than a cups worth of beads on your side of the tray causes them to roll over the little lip inside and run to your opponent's side. Having all the beads in there means you have a big mix of both colors rolling in the side trays.

Basically it is just for neatness and organization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Other ideas:

1. They are for enjoying drinks while you play, if you don't mind a leathery aftertaste.

2. Wear a cup as a fez while playing. Especially if your head is small.

3. The stronger player must wear them over their ears as a sort of aural handicap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mirkes
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Papa was a rollin' stone...
mbmbmbmbmb
SlashesWithClaws wrote:
Basically it is just for neatness and organization.

That does make sense. I had a chance to fiddle with the game a bit yesterday after work, and those little dividers do seem a bit small for the beads they're meant to contain. I can see how this makes sense.

russ wrote:
Other ideas:

1. They are for enjoying drinks while you play, if you don't mind a leathery aftertaste.

2. Wear a cup as a fez while playing. Especially if your head is small.

3. The stronger player must wear them over their ears as a sort of aural handicap.

Oddly enough, I have no problem believing that my game group will gladly institute any and all of these while we play. I'm not sure if that says more for the game or for my gaming group...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Rae

Virginia
msg tools
"Basically it is just for neatness and organization"

"That does make sense. I had a chance to fiddle with the game a bit yesterday after work, and those little dividers do seem a bit small for the beads they're meant to contain. I can see how this makes sense."

I appreciate the logic but my sister, brother, and I disagree (strongly ). We've been playing for about 25 years and have zero problem with the beads jumping their sides. We have two ajoining moats with one color and the remaining two with the other color. The cup question has vexed me for YEARS and I was very happy to find this important issue addressed.

Sadly, I still don't have a good answer. The best we can come up with is that some marketing person analyzed and decided that the game needed some image work and that leatherette cups made it more intriguing, adult, reminiscent of green felt tables, visors and cigars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Fat Tony
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here specifically to find out what the cups are used for. I was thinking that there may be a missing, second instruction page that reveals a variant in which the cups are used. I have the 1967 edition and it has 4 cups made from card board with metal rims at the top and metal bottoms. So, at some time between 1967 and 1971 the decision makers of the company decided to upgrade the cups. We have no problem using the tray to keep the beads seperated. My instructions do not mention a red bead, I bet you have a stray from another game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 4 cups?Y
The tray is only used at the end of the game after someone's won. You lift out the pegs and let the beads scatter and collect in the tray. Then you put them in the cups to play another game.

It's tradition!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.