Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Henry
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game with the expansions yesterday and had an interesting problem pop up.

First race in the queue was Cursed White Ladies. Needless to say we had spent a lot of tokens by the end of the game passing this combo, and it's measly two tokens, over.

And we spent a fair amount of time debating if you could take those poor Cursed ladies for their massive VP pile and instantly decline. IE don't try to conquer anything and grab a new race next turn.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Round Lake Beach
Illinois
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
fatetwister64 wrote:
We played out first game with the expansions yesterday and had an interesting problem pop up.

First race in the queue Cursed White Ladies. Needless to say we had spend a lot of tokens by the end of the game passing this combo and it's measly two tokens over.

And we spend a fair amount of time debating if you could those poor Cursed ladies for their massive VP pile and instantly decline. IE don;t try to conquer anything and grab a new race next turn.

Thoughts?

No. You have to choose to decline an active race at the start of the turn. Since your race isn't active at the start of the turn, you may not immediately decline them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Why would you think you could?

Cursed White Ladies is a rare and unfortunate combination -- the only way you can get just 2 race tokens. But there is nothing in the Cursed special power or the White Ladies racial power that lets you buy a race and decline it immediately. In fact, there is nothing in the base game or any expansion that lets you do that. Even Stout requires you to be active a turn before declining at the end of it.

You are getting used to these new powers. That sometimes can be confusing -- I find that a few of the cards in Small World: Tales and Legends are a bit ambiguous, myself. But in general, go with the plainest meaning of what's written, even if it seems odd. (Asking questions in places like BGG is usually pretty good, too, so I don't mind the question.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henry
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I think our rational went something like this.

A) You can decline a race that has no tokens on the map.
B) It dosn't say in the rule book that a dog can't play basketball.
C) It was a stupid fun situation, I'll allow it!

Quote:
In fact, there is nothing in the base game or any expansion that let's you do that.

But there isn't anything that says you have too. The rules are we were reading them was, in the simpilist terms . . .

Quote:
On your turn you have two options, Attack or Decline

"Well, I sure as heck can't (logically) attack with this race, so I'll decline them."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fatetwister64 wrote:
Quote:
In fact, there is nothing in the base game or any expansion that let's you do that.

But there isn't anything that says you have too.

The rules state that in your first turn, you choose a race, do conquest, and get coins; the option to go into decline doesn't appear until subsequent turns. You don't have to conquer any regions, but you are not allowed to go into decline immediately. Turns in which you choose new races are treated like your first turn as well.

See this thread for a more detailed discussion of this issue -- which also was prompted by Cursed White Ladies!

Quote:
The rules are we were reading them was, in the simpilist terms . . .

Quote:
On your turn you have two options, Attack or Decline

"Well, I sure as heck can't (logically) attack with this race, so I'll decline them."

Sure you can attack. It may not succeed, but you can try, adding the die if you don't have enough for even a first attack. But, attack or not, the second option doesn't appear until your 2nd turn with any race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.