Hide
3 Posts

Mykerinos» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about 2 player games passing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Papadopoulos
msg tools
Last night we played a 2p game of this excellant board game. But we came up with a problem.

The rulebook states:

'When there is one player left (that is, when the other players have passed), the player may only carry out one action.'

We were in season 4. At the start of the season I had more cubes than my oppenent. I have kept some from previous rounds plus I used Lady Violet several times to extend this advantage.

So suddently my opponent passed eventhough he had a few cubes left I had a lot more and he strategically chose to pass. I didn't have that advantage anymore because I was the only player left as rulebook states and I had to play only my final turn and lose the excess subes.

If we were playing 3 or even 4 players I'd have more chances to place the rest of my cubes but in 2 player I just lose them due to an early pass.

Did we play it correct? Is this fair the fact that a player gets more cubes so that he can play stronger the last seasons but he loses them due to a pass? Or is it a part of a strategy not to get a lot more cubes than your opponent because you can lose them easily this way?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Willis
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you did play correctly.

There is a great deal of strategy (especially in 2p Mykerinos) in maintaining your cube supply. In 2 player when you pass you know your opponent only gets one more move AND you still get to place with the "dummy" neutral player if you have any neutral cubes left. If you pass smartly you can win various regions through tiebreak, BUT your opponent often gets to choose which tie they want to break using their last action.

In 3 or 4 player it is true that you would have had more opportunities to place cubes, however, you also would have had more people to contend with placing those cubes.

Think of the cubes as the potential for making actions, but not guaranteed actions themselves.

Edit: corrected by Joel (see thisthread. No neutral cube placement is allowed after passing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Moots
United States
Riley
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think once you've passed, you can't place any more neutral cubes. It's even more obvious in the French rules..

-joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.