Subject: First time teaching/playing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked this up at Gencon this past week, and it came with the expansion. The situation is that i had only played a demo game (about 30 minutes or so before called), and i'm not sure if its better to have the first full game be with either or both of the expansions, and i'm lookig for input since nobody in the group has played a full game.

thank you
Q

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd always play just a base game without expansion to learn it. Keeps things simpler, less rules to learn, less things to screw up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Gould
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you want to add just the Investor cards, that would not complicate the first game too much. They don't really affect game play, as they only add money at two points during the game.

And with first-timers, an injection of money may be welcome.

- Kris Gould
Wattsalpoag Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you.

I gave the option to the players to add the investor cards and they all opted not to use them.

Another question I have is more gameplay related but it seems that both times i played i ended up with a final flight and little to no support in the flight cards both low and high value. is that normal?

also I noticed one very short final flight that's nearly a straight line down the center of the board. i thouht that was odd as well as not having a single flight that consists of london to paris. and that the game seemed to end quickly once things started moving.

just some observations.

Q

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quohog wrote:
Another question I have is more gameplay related but it seems that both times i played i ended up with a final flight and little to no support in the flight cards both low and high value. is that normal?

What do you mean by no support in the flight cards?

quohog wrote:

also I noticed one very short final flight that's nearly a straight line down the center of the board.

I don't see any I'd call a straight line. Most are out and back, finishing up in a city that was near your starting city, IE Copenhagen to Rome to Hamburg.

Note that you can't do Hamburg on the way down, you have to visit them in order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what i meant by no support was having a final flight that was berlin to edanburg to seville. (roughly a 90degree route). there was only one single cost flight card that fit along that plan. my other final flight was on the other end of the board with no beginning flights to build towards. through out the game i receiveid 2 others that helped me complete my final flight. but i had to spend several turns building on links with no flight cards available to help me reach my final goal. so endgame happened i had only 10pts in flight cards and 20 from the final flight. where 3 of my 4 opponents were getting 3,5 and 7 point cards that fit into their final flight plans.

i know some of this is random chance but has this happened to anyone else before? where you have the choice between shooting for fast larger victory points or your final flight?

or an i missing something and perhaps getting things wrong somehow

oh and the straight line final flight was probably about 160 degrees in terms of the angle. i'll have to see if i can pull that one up and post it tonight. it was really a simple final flight

Q

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't be sure, but it sounds like something may be off somewhere. Just 10 points from "normal" cards before heading to the end game seems quite low.

In a 4 player game, there's around 30 flight cards that have to get to the table before anyone can even attempt to go for their final flight. And cards can still be claimed after that, as no one may be able to go for it as soon as it's available. All it takes to get 10 points is 4 cards, a 5, a 3, and two 1's.

Were you playing that you could only take routes along your final flight? You can take any route that you have planes on to claim a card, doing so just for income purposes is often an excellent idea, even if the route isn't going to be useful at all later. It's still points, no matter what.

Also, make sure you realize you can claim cards without owning all (or any) of the routes yourself, all that matters is that you have planes there. So, you can put a plane on player A's route of Paris to Berlin, and player B's Berlin to Hamburg, and then later claim the Paris to Hamburg card.

Same thing on your final flight card, you don't have to own all the routes to complete it, just have planes in the right spots.

One final note about the Final Flights, even if it was a literal straight line and back again (mythical example of Oslo-Madrid-Oslo), note that you could not complete this with just 4 links:

1) Oslo-London
2) London-Madrid
3) Madrid-London (illegal)
4) London-Oslo (illegal)

This is illegal because you can only use each link once in your final flight. The first two steps are ok, but you'd have to fly back up to Oslo using a different route.

You can use the same city more than once, but not the same link. For example, the return trip would have to be something like Madrid-Lisbon-Dublin-London-Copenhagen-Oslo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it may be a low scoring game but it was a 5 player game. but my score was 10 with 3,3,1,1,1 and 1.

i was trying to get flight cards that were relitive to my final flight but was willing to branch out to something that would either add revenue or wasnt' something that was contested either by not owning the route or having an opponent with several planes on that route.

once i saw that one person had about 20 points (with no planes on board) and i was at ten with my final flight built and ready for endgame i was about to change gears and go for just 3/5/7 cards but when i refilled the flight cards (short) vacation 2 poped up and i immediatly played my final flight and hoped for the best and that 30 poitns would hold. the same turn the other low scoreing opponent (12 points) played his final flight. two were out of contantion, and the player with most points played out to claim a 7 pointer before the last plane went onto my card making the final score 30/30/27/x/x and i squeaked on the tiebreaker

if i had a list of cards available i'd look it up, but the rout in question didn't double back it was like
oslo to berling to rome. rather simple and straight there was no link used twice. i'll have ot break out the game in the evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolai Broen Thorning
Denmark
Ebeltoft
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have only ever played 2 player games (and then one 3 player) so I cannot comment on scoring in those situations.

Concerning the final flights, then I am very certain that all flights can be done in 6 legs. I think the card being mentioned here is Rome - Frankfurt - Copenhagen. It does seem to be a straight line but Frankfurt is not all that accessible...

If you have access to those optimum legs is another matter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taibi wrote:
Concerning the final flights, then I am very certain that all flights can be done in 6 legs. I think the card being mentioned here is Rome - Frankfurt - Copenhagen. It does seem to be a straight line but Frankfurt is not all that accessible...

If you have access to those optimum legs is another matter...

That is true, all final cards can theoretically be done in as few as 6 legs. As well, all the seven cards can be done in 4 legs, the five pointers in 3 legs, three pointers in 2 legs, and 1 pointers in 1 leg.

quohog, I guess it was just the way you played that made it a low scoring game. It can win, as you showed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i didn't think about counting the links, but i'm not questioning if you are right or not as y'all have more experience with the game.

It does look to me as if i may have had a different way of playing or different thoughts/theory on how its played. Perhaps a session report or strategy article would be helpful as well in due time. but i guess in general more experience would be better, as one of the games i played i got no 7 point flights and was a close second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread might be interesting to you: short-route strategy seems very strong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great Idea because for new people who may not be gamer gamers They don"t have to stress as much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.