1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » West

Subject: New Game Day Venue in Santa Cruz, CA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: game_day [+] [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Through an arrangement with the Louden Nelson Community Center, we've got a large space dedicated to board games! In what may turn into a monthly gathering, we've been provided the space for most of the day. The center is curious what kind of turnout the event will bring, so if more people show up, the more likely they'll want to make it a regular event. So bring your games and your friends!

Details:
Saturday, October 2
1pm - 9pm
Louden Nelson Center
301 Center Street, Santa Cruz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Can't really commit 1.5 months in advance, but am excited about this and will put it on my calendar.

What are your expectations in terms of group who will be attending? Serious gamers? Social gamers? Long games? Wargames? CCG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
subscribed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Luub
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, we used to have SlugFest there back in the early 90s. Life size Wiz-War! Good times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan K
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I'll see if I can make it.

You should definitely post something at Game-A-Lot advertising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:

What are your expectations in terms of group who will be attending? Serious gamers? Social gamers? Long games? Wargames? CCG?

As a community center, the Louden Nelson folks want to provide a social venue for the senior and teen programs, so I understand that they would like to see a welcoming atmosphere where people new to eurogames and such could feel comfortable trying something new out. Many of the local gamers that have been meeting at various venues are also interested in coming. So I imagine we'll have a mixed crowd and would hope that the experienced players will be happy to teach the news folks. I'd actually like to employ some kind of system to facilitate people easily joining games, like the orange cones I've seen at conventions to indicate that the game is looking for more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first day went really well! Check out the geeklist here: Santa Cruz Louden Nelson Game Day (October 2, 2010)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news! After hearing of the great turnout from last weekend's event, the Louden Nelson Center would love to have us on the first Saturday of every month!

Here are the upcoming dates for future game days:
Nov. 6
Dec. 4
Jan. 15* (Closed Jan. 1 and Fungus Fair Jan. 8)
Feb. 5
March 5
April 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick reminder that the next game day is coming up this Saturday! Here's a photo from the first event:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Unfortunately that conflicts with the Los Altos gamesday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Unfortunately that conflicts with the Los Altos gamesday.

Where's a link to Los Altos Gamesday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Bay Area Games Day this Saturday, November 6, in Los Altos, CA

It is roughly every 6 weeks, opens at 10:00, closes at 23:00, & runs around 60-70 players for most of the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In fact, unfortunately your next 3 events conflict with Bay Area Games Day. I try to avoid scheduling BAGD to conflict with other local events, but it is difficult these days given how many other local events there are. Plus, we don't own the room and have to manage it with the other groups who want the space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its okay. This was the agreement we were able to make with the center so we have to stick with that. I'm sure we'll both have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
There are currently 4 gamesdays in the larger Bay Area:

1) Los Altos -- roughly every 6 weeks
2) Santa Cruz -- unsteady schedule but currently conflicts with Los Altos
3) Boardgame Addicts (of the Peninsula) aka BAP -- last Saturday of each month
4) Endgame Oakland - last Saturday of each month (conflicts with BAP)

I'm sure a better arrangement is possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, just a reminder the next game day at the Louden Nelson Center is this Saturday. Hope to see y'all there!

Here are the upcoming dates for future game days:
Dec. 4
Jan. 15* (Closed Jan. 1 and Fungus Fair Jan. 8)
Feb. 5
March 5
April 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jensen
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a quick update: I've talked to a coworker, and he's planning to bring some Check Your 6 stuff. I'm kind of excited, as it's a blast to play.

I'm bringing at least Martin Rails (picked up a copy after the first game day (that's me in tan puzzling a move)). Also Tales of the Arabian Nights. We were going to try that at Wookstocks Pizza last Monday, but it was too loud in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
January's Game Day is this Saturday. Here's the list for the upcoming dates:

Feb. 5
March 5
April 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Aarghh, conflicting with the Los Altos games day again. If you do manage to get a non-conflicting schedule some time, I'll see about popping over the hill with a stack'o'18xx for any that are interested in learning or playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
February 5 is definitely not an impact. I will try to schedule Games Day to not conflict with April 2, but cannot guarantee this as we must work around the site's scheduling with other groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl M
United States
Norwalk
CA
flag msg tools
Are you still having this event on the 5th?

And what games do you guys usually play there? I currently have SCBG+ brood war Exp, I can bring that along if there's people interested in playing it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately there is a large contingent that plays different types of minatures games and Magic. Plus at least a couple tables of us who play more euro style games.

All dates are planned - I'll post here if they ever get rescheduled or canceled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
If there is interest in 18xx (a teaching game or for experienced players), give me a shout. It would be easy enough to wander over the will some month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
February's Game Day is this Saturday. Here's the list for the upcoming dates:

March 5
April 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The March gameday is this Saturday. The Louden Nelson Center has also scheduled in future gamedays for the rest of the year, all on the first Saturday of the month:

April 2
May 7
June 4
July 2
August 6
September 3
October 1
November 5
December 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.