Subject: Family Review: Sequence is a fantastic family game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sequence is easily the most played game in our family board game collection.So I guess it almost goes without saying that it's also one of our most highly rated family games.

Can the whole family enjoy Sequence?

Absolutely! It's perfect for family game time.
Here are just a few reasons why we love Sequence:

* Simple and easy for everyone to play
* Playing in teams heightens the anticipation and fun
* Plenty of luck makes it great for all ages to join in
* Scales fantastically and playes equally well with a wide number of players
* Can still keep you on your toes
* The end is always close
* Easy to chat with others while playing

Is there really strategy involved in Sequence?
Some may say that there isn't any strategy in Sequence. But we disagree. Sure you can't control what cards you draw. But the trick is making the most of the cards you do have. And with two spaces on the board for each card, you do need to choose your position wisely.

Now that doesn't mean that we haven't been beaten by a youngster just randomly throwing down cards. But that's very rare. Of course, it's also very funny when it happens. Their eyes light up like crazy as if they planned it that way the whole time.

How many people can play Sequence?
While the game rules say it can be played with 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, or 12 we haven't held back from playing with even more. As long as the number of players is divisible by 2 or 3, you can split into even teams. And it's the whole team aspect that makes it such a fun game.

Since you already have to deal with the luck of the draw on what cards you get, adding a teammate heightens the luck and anticipation of what's to come even more. As the game progresses, the anticipation continues to build as well. While hoping to get just the right card to complete a sequence you're also nervously hoping that your opponents don't block you, or worse, remove one of your pieces.

And the more players there are, the longer you sit anticipating that nothing bad happens before your next turn. But that's what makes it so fun.

How does Sequence score on the "Let’s Play Again" meter?
Sequence scores super high on our "Let’s Play Again" meter. Once we get started playing a game of Sequence, we'll always play multiple games. It may be just a simple game, but that's why it's so accessible for everyone to play.

We've played for hours on end for a few reasons. The first is that inevitably when a game ends, the non-winning team/s are close to winning as well. And who can sit still and not call out for a rematch? The second reason is that Sequence lends itself well to visiting while playing. So it's perfect for family gatherings when you're just sitting around the table taking it easy.

Sequence is also a game that people can leave or join throughout the night. If someone wants to join in or someone has had enough, it's easy enough to rearrange the teams for the next game and keep rolling right along.

We highly recommend you get a game of Sequence going and enjoy the company.

Follow The Board Game Family:
A list of all our family board game and card game video reviews can also be found on BGG in this Family Video Reviews GeekList.
www.TheBoardGameFamily.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/BoardGameFamily
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheBoardGameFamily
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Pleasant View
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree with this review. I think Sequence is a bit underrated on the BGG. And what you say about the tension is spot on.

Thanks for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
It's not that the game lacks strategy...the OP's point has merit. What the OP fails to understand is that we are in the middle of a golden age for boardgaming. And whatever strategy the OP feels he can dig up out of this Ameritrash game, There are 100 other games that are deeper, better, and more awesome than this one.

I draw a random card and must decide one of two places to play it. Big whoop.

Play a game of Medina

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/167270/medina-second-...

It has everything sequence has and so much more. There is not a single aspect of sequence that is superior to this game. And that is why Sequence is in the sewers.

With that said, I'd rather play sequence than Monopoly. And compared to other Ameritrash, it does rise up...but in the end, it is pure rubbish once you and your family have experienced a real game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Riedy
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schmoo34 wrote:
It's not that the game lacks strategy...the OP's point has merit. What the OP fails to understand is that we are in the middle of a golden age for boardgaming. And whatever strategy the OP feels he can dig up out of this Ameritrash game, There are 100 other games that are deeper, better, and more awesome than this one.

I draw a random card and must decide one of two places to play it. Big whoop.

Play a game of Medina

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/167270/medina-second-...

It has everything sequence has and so much more. There is not a single aspect of sequence that is superior to this game. And that is why Sequence is in the sewers.

With that said, I'd rather play sequence than Monopoly. And compared to other Ameritrash, it does rise up...but in the end, it is pure rubbish once you and your family have experienced a real game.

What a useless, insulting post you squirted out there. Why don't you do the community a favor and delete it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schmoo34 wrote:

It's too bad that you haven't see the other 250+ game reviews we've done then.

We definitely know that we're in a golden age of board gaming. And we love it all.

And as part of that, you should also know that the Best game to play completely depends on the group you're playing with.

There's no way I'm going to play my favorite game (Power Grid) with grandma, my sister, and my brother in-law and their family. Nor do they have any interest in many of the others that we write about. But when we find a game they enjoy, you can bet we'll play it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.