Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
191 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 

Thunderstone» Forums » General

Subject: Thundermaster: The intelligent Thunderstone randomizer that works on any computer or smart phone rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Astartus wrote:
Well, the Mammoth is, it is "Evil Druid - Familiar" instead of "Evil Druid - humanoid".

But how should I determine if I should add these cards to the respective groups? Should I throw a die?

I thought it might be possible to mark them as promos and have some sort of algorithm:

If "Traps - deadly" is selected, check for "Promo" (only if "Promo" is enabled). If matching promocard is found generate a random number. If number is smaller or equal to 5, don't include the promocard, if not, show it under "Traps - deadly" in the output.

Don't you think you might be making it too complicated? Just add the new cards to the groups and enjoy them every time their group comes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:

Don't you think you might be making it too complicated? Just add the new cards to the groups and enjoy them every time their group comes up.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to consider the following:

If setting Dragonspire is picked, either manually or via randomizer choice, max thunderstone should move to 2 if not already set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, making settings 'work' is on my to-do list.

Unfortunately, my day job's gotten a lot more hectic lately and really killed a lot of my enthusiasm for hobby projects like this. I do keep a list of all the improvements I want to make for that day when I finally get the time and inclination, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
there's a setting card that adds an extra monster as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Two, actually. And the other one is the one that makes 'settings' require a major overhaul to get going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Laisure
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was noticing that the Randomizer would never randomly pick Ooze, so I tried crossing off all monsters except Ooze and 3 others, and it still wouldn't pick it! And it wouldn't even work with only 3 if it was one of them. It will choose it if required, but other than that I don't think so. I haven't noticed any other cards it ignores like this, but I haven't actually checked them all.

Anyway, other than that I really like the Randomizer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It picked ooze for me just fine. You sure you didn't disable ooze?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Laisure
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've checked again...no Ooze. Are you sure you didn't have Ooze underlined as a required pick?

Incidentally, I've checked both Heroes and Village (separate tests) using the same method - randomizing and then disabling the selections until none are left - and all of those cards worked fine......just not the Ooze.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can confirm. On my second attempt (without changing any settings) I got Ooze as the third monster.

guess you are just unlucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Laisure
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think it has anything to do with luck. Just tried again and when I got down to 3, and Ooze was 1 of them, I clicked Randomize - dozens of times - and just as before, nothing happened. No randomizing, nothing. Then I set it up exactly as in Ian's pic., Horde, Ooze, and Orc Humanoid...nothing, no randomizing no matter how many times I clicked Randomize. Then to double-check I added Enchanted (not underlined), clicked Randomize and presto, it spit out a selection, no problem (no Ooze of course). Anyway, glad it works for some people, but apparently not on my computer (which makes no sense).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated Thundermaster with the cards from Thornwood Siege.

Also fixed the following two bugs:

1. Magic Aura is no longer flagged as providing magic attack
2. Sidhe is now flagged as requiring special disease

For those keeping score at home, this is what I've got on my to-do list, that unfortunately have no ETA.

1. Make settings work.
2. Allow for multiple dungeons (prerequisite for number 1)
3. Allow village cards to have requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grn9t wrote:
Don't think it has anything to do with luck. Just tried again and when I got down to 3, and Ooze was 1 of them, I clicked Randomize - dozens of times - and just as before, nothing happened. No randomizing, nothing. Then I set it up exactly as in Ian's pic., Horde, Ooze, and Orc Humanoid...nothing, no randomizing no matter how many times I clicked Randomize. Then to double-check I added Enchanted (not underlined), clicked Randomize and presto, it spit out a selection, no problem (no Ooze of course). Anyway, glad it works for some people, but apparently not on my computer (which makes no sense).

So as long as I was updating it, I went and had a look and there was indeed an irregularity (Ooze had an extraneous comma, if you're interested). I'm kind of surprised it worked at all, I would have expected that to throw an error.

Hopefully it should work now. Let me know.

Also, what browser (and version) are you using?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Laisure
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Works great now! Ooze came up just fine. Thanks for looking into it and finding the problem (excellent cartoon - quite apropos). Anyway, it's nice knowing I'm not (completely) crazy.

Browser - Windows Internet Explorer 8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated it so that...

If Doomgate is selected, an extra monster will be chosen.
If Dragonspire is selected, an extra monster and an extra thunderstone will be chosen.
If Dreadwatch is chosen, a disease-destroying hero is chosen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave NP
United States
PRINCETON
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
I just got my first Thunderstone set (Dragonspire) and I'm in the process of figuring it out. Someone pointed me towards this randomizer, and it seems fantastic - thanks!

I had a quick question about how it works, if you don't mind. Whenever I generate a game with it, I always get some flavor of Dungeon Feature. If I'm understanding the rules correctly (is that a terrible rulebook, or is it me?), in a Dragonspire only game, there should be 3 copies of the Dungeon Feature Randomizer card in the Monster Randomizer deck. I don't know from probability calculations, but it seems like a Dungeon Feature wouldn't come up in EVERY game, would it? Does Thundermaster adjust the number of Dungeon Feature Randomizer 'cards' in it's calculation depending on the number of sets/expansions selected? Come to think of it, does it also adjust the make-up of the Dungeon Feature deck by set as well (if I'm understanding the rules right, the Dungeon Feature deck in a Dragonspire only game is only 6 cards)?

I found the relationship between the Dungeon Feature deck and the Monster Randomizer deck a bit confusing initially, which is why I'm thinking about it. I had to look up a detailed card list online before it started making sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thundermaster doesn't use the same rules as the cards. Using the default values for each item (0-1), there's a 50% chance of getting one of those.

If you had a range of e.g. 0-2, you'd have a 1/3 chance each of 0, 1 or 2 of those items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just used this for the first time (on my brand new Eee Pad Transformer. Yay Honeycomb!), and have a request that I can't believe no one has made yet: Please, for the love of god (and those of us who are red/green colorblind) make the colors for Dragonspire and Wrath of the Elements more distinct.

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gabe, I do apologize for the trouble, but I'm not sure why it's such a problem for you. The colors don't actually matter at all. I usually end up using this on my Kindle, which is black and white, and can't tell the difference between most colors.

Is this actually causing problems for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is, as an obsessive game logger, I can't easily look at the generated card list and tell which sets to log between WotE and DS...

Not a loss of functionality, just a major annoyance.

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I... see.

I do apologize for any inconvenience it's causing you, but I don't think I'm going to change the colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Cherry
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
I love this.

HOWEVER: Since there are 3 separate promos (and more coming) might it make a bit more sense to have each promo separate on the 'set' header?

(Currently it's not unwieldy for someone who has, say, just the FTD promo, to go through and mark everything else 'no.' But eventually, it might be.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lxndr wrote:
I love this.

HOWEVER: Since there are 3 separate promos (and more coming) might it make a bit more sense to have each promo separate on the 'set' header?

(Currently it's not unwieldy for someone who has, say, just the FTD promo, to go through and mark everything else 'no.' But eventually, it might be.)

I think it would be more onerous to try and toggle each promo pack individually. Plus, I think it's going to be a fairly small subset of people who will acquire some promos but not all. AEG's good about making the promos available. So I think it makes sense to keep it like it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently there was a new promo pack released at GenCon, which someone was kind enough to post pictures of in the Dragonspire forum. I've added the new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.