$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
191 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [8] | 

Thunderstone» Forums » General

Subject: Thundermaster: The intelligent Thunderstone randomizer that works on any computer or smart phone rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, Vasilis. I have no desire or intention to try and mimic the official randomization process. There are plenty of other Thunderstone randomizers out there that will probably suit your needs better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Sorry, Vasilis. I have no desire or intention to try and mimic the official randomization process. There are plenty of other Thunderstone randomizers out there that will probably suit your needs better.

Fair enough. Unfortunately yours is the only one that I've found that works with my Nokia offline which is the only reason that I need one in the first place.

I'll just google a bit more, see if I can find another that works as well as yours.

Thank you for the quick answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a completely random setup, why not just use the randomizer cards that come with the game(s)?

I didn't like the random setups because you'd end up with 8 piles of food and 4 clerics, or even worse no ability to do magic damage, and enemies that are immune to anything else. The "intelligent" setup thing makes the game more fun, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
For a completely random setup, why not just use the randomizer cards that come with the game(s)?

Because I've managed to fit every expansion that I have in a single box but all the randomizers are left out. In order to avoid carrying a 2nd box wherever I go {most of my gaming happens away from home} it would be really nice to have a randomizer on my phone. I could leave all those randomizers home.

Quote:
I didn't like the random setups because you'd end up with 8 piles of food and 4 clerics, or even worse no ability to do magic damage, and enemies that are immune to anything else. The "intelligent" setup thing makes the game more fun, in my opinion.

My group enjoys having a challenge and we don't necessarily feel that all cards should be useful. The challenge comes from recognizing which cards are most useful in any given situation even if that means having 4 out of 8 Village cards that are totally useless.

Moreover, I've played many many Thunderstone sessions and we never had an "all-food" Village or anything similar. Also having no access to magic attack or card destruction or disease removal is part of recognizing which are the best cards too. Not all cards should be useful in any given setup.

Finally another problem with this "intelligent" randomizer is that it gives WAY too much probability of appearance to Traps/Treasures/Guardians and Settings. Way above normal.

The problem is that I haven't found any randomizers that are going to work with my phone. There is one for android and one for iPhone but nothing for Symbian phones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
Finally another problem with this "intelligent" randomizer is that it gives WAY too much probability of appearance to Traps/Treasures/Guardians and Settings. Way above normal.

Well, my feeling (and you're more than welcome to disagree) is that whether or not a particular type of feature is present is a terribly uninteresting decision. It would be one thing if you didn't know whether there were traps or not and it was a surprise when they came up. But by the nature of the game, you need to build the deck and thus know ahead of time whether traps, treasures, etc are part of the setup.

So I don't really see much point in making it a random possibility of them being there or not. In fact, the whole idea that it is a random chance is a compromise since I'm sure there are some who disagree with me. Personally, I'd rather just choose in each game whether I want dungeon features or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor, great work and thanks for sharing. It had completely passed me by that this could also be used offline. Simply brilliant stuff.

Do you think you might update to include TS:A when it is released?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Boom04 wrote:
Asmor, great work and thanks for sharing. It had completely passed me by that this could also be used offline. Simply brilliant stuff.

Do you think you might update to include TS:A when it is released?

Absolutely, though depending on how much they change the setup it might take a little longer than usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a question: how does one make it run offline?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it just does. So long as I load the page while online, it remembers my settings and randomizes cards while offline. So I just leave the page open on my iPhone and its always there, ready to go!

EDIT: As noted by @asmore here is no need to leave the window open so long as it was opened once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You shouldn't need to leave the page open. As long as you've loaded it once while online, it should just work offline. Simply navigate to it as you would if you were currently online.

Obviously, you'll need to have a bookmark to get to it if you're offline (that or memorize the address ).

EDIT: Just want to add that I just verified this is working on my own phone (running Android). I checked by putting the phone in airplane mode, verifying that I couldn't get to other websites, and opening Thundermaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this is the same on the iPhone but with iPad/safari using the "add to reading list" option seems to work perfectly offline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boom04 wrote:
Not sure if this is the same on the iPhone but with iPad/safari using the "add to reading list" option seems to work perfectly offline.

Works on the iPhone as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the explanations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I'm listed in the rulebook for Advance as a special thanks! Woohoo! Also, Thundermaster will soon be hosted on AEG's website in addition to my own.

2. Via http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8553686
InfoCynic wrote:
leshrac55 wrote:
InfoCynic wrote:
Or use an app.

Would be nice if AEG released an official (free) one... =)

The unofficial free one works fine, although it lacks being especially pretty on a tiny screen, it meets the definition of functional. A nice mobile CSS would probably help, get those columns down to a nice 480px or so instead of 800+. Works offline too, thanks to HTML5.

http://asmor.com/scripts/tsrand/

What phone are you using? The columns resize automatically, to a minimum width of 435px. On my phone (Android, default browser, 800x480 res), it didn't look right at first, but it turns out there's a default zoom set to medium. I set it to "far" (which I'm guessing is 100%) and it works perfectly in portrait mode, which was my goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, I have an HTC (TMobile) MyTouch 4G (Android). Under a default setting of medium, it does not work correctly, as noted. I can change it to far, but that setting doesn't just affect your site, so that's not really a good solution. I can zoom in but not out.

There should be a CSS media queries fix for this, I think, I'm just not quite sure what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did some research last night. The short story is that regardless of the physical resolution of the device, almost all phones will render as if they had 320 pixels of width in portrait orientation.

So in the next version, it should work better in portrait mode without having to change any settings on your phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the OK from AEG to upload the newest version with Towers of Ruin cards!

Also adds in the fix for mobile devices I just mentioned. Not perfect, but should be better now. Can't believe no one brought that up before, I always just figured it was a problem with my phone. lol.

As a reminder, you'll need to load Thundermaster, and then reload it! The same stuff that makes it able to be used offline also makes it so you see the old version the first time you load the page after it's updated. There is a way to fix that, but I haven't managed to get it working yet. :/ One of these days.

EDIT: Also, got a list of levels for monsters from older editions, so all monsters have levels now and will work with the option to select monsters of levels 1, 2 and 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, on my Android phone, I had to clear the cache (Menu button, More..., Settings, (scroll down to) Clear Cache) but yeah, looks and works great now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
paschott wrote:
Great job. The only thing that may be missing would be the Avatar promo cards. I say "may" because I really don't know much about how they affect the game. Looks really good right now.

Is there a way not to go back to the top of the page when clicking the various options? Not a big deal on a desktop browser, but on my mobile it kept bouncing me up to the top of the page and I had to scroll down again to the area I was in. Totally understand if that's not possible - just asking.

I doubt I can prevent it from scrolling back up, but I might be able to scroll it back down automatically. I'll see what I can do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff Asmor!! Looks like you were working on it before I asked earlier

Just wondering for the monsters could there be a toggle to show the monster level for situations where the users as turned of the 123 setting.

I guess in time it might be nice to be able to select how many at each
Monsters are randomised at each level, but then again might be too complicated to build in.

Also, and I haven't thought about whether this is a good or bad thing, what about randomising basic card set ups, initially between classic and advance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Boom04 wrote:
Great stuff Asmor!! Looks like you were working on it before I asked earlier

Indeed. Was under an NDA, though.

Quote:
Just wondering for the monsters could there be a toggle to show the monster level for situations where the users as turned of the 123 setting.

That's something I thought about. I worry about the clutter it might add to the interface, but on the flip side if you're going to set up the dungeon by level then you need it for the older cards.

Quote:
I guess in time it might be nice to be able to select how many at each
Monsters are randomised at each level, but then again might be too complicated to build in.

Yeah, that's not happening. Sorry. The way it works right now is it adds 3 requirements, one for each level. If you end up getting more than 3 monsters, the extra monsters' levels won't be considered at all.

Quote:
Also, and I haven't thought about whether this is a good or bad thing, what about randomising basic card set ups, initially between classic and advance?

Definitely not. The new starting deck is almost strictly better (both in terms of power and being more fun). The only real material difference is that the Thunderstone shard isn't food, but if you're using Thundermaster and get something that needs food, there will be food in the village. I'd also recommend treating Regulars as Militia for any cards that mention Militia specifically. As far as I know, there's only one card (one of the oozes, I think?) which references daggers specifically, so those don't really matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just updated.

Special diseases are now part of Doomgate Legion instead of Dragonspire.

Monster levels are displayed in the game setup if the option was turned on.

You can now generate links to share favorite configurations. It also generates a QR Code, so you can make the configuration on your computer and easily send it to your phone.

In the future, the program will prompt you when an update's available automatically. This is the last version that you'll need to do the stupid double-refresh thing. That said, this is the last version you'll need to do that, so... you still need to do that. Last time. Promise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got an email that it wasn't working for someone. It's working for me on Firefox, Chrome, and my Android phone... Asked the guy for details, but was wondering if anyone here was experiencing problems with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't work for me in Chrome, IE or Opera on iPhone. IE gave this error report:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; InfoPath.3; BOIE8;ENGB)
Timestamp: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 09:02:18 UTC

Line: 16
Char: 79567
Code: 0
URI: http://asmor.com/scripts/tsrand/scripts/main.min.js

Line: 1
Char: 100
URI: http://asmor.com/scripts/tsrand/scripts/execute.min.js

Line: 20
Char: 1
URI: http://asmor.com/scripts/tsrand/

Line: 20
Char: 1
URI: http://asmor.com/scripts/tsrand/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:

Indeed. Was under an NDA, though.

Quote:
Quote:

That's something I thought about. I worry about the clutter it might add to the interface, but on the flip side if you're going to set up the dungeon by level then you need it for the older cards.

Just seen the latest version. Thanks for including I think this will be really useful. If space/presentation is tight, might an option be to say use "#1" rather than "Lvl 1".

Quote:

Yeah, that's not happening. Sorry. The way it works right now is it adds 3 requirements, one for each level. If you end up getting more than 3 monsters, the extra monsters' levels won't be considered at all.

Yeh that was my thinking too. Just wanted to throw it out there in case you (or others had any ideas). For me it works fine just having the option of random (i.e. non 1-2-3) selections. Thanks.

Quote:
Quote:

Definitely not. The new starting deck is almost strictly better (both in terms of power and being more fun). The only real material difference is that the Thunderstone shard isn't food, but if you're using Thundermaster and get something that needs food, there will be food in the village. I'd also recommend treating Regulars as Militia for any cards that mention Militia specifically. As far as I know, there's only one card (one of the oozes, I think?) which references daggers specifically, so those don't really matter.

Understood. I think I will still be testing out mixing up basic cards.. if only to satisfy myself that classic base cards are not the way forward. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.