Subject: Geek of the Week #261 - LennyS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: gotw [+] [View All]
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmb
It is time to pass the torch, and I have chosen...

Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb

Here are a few of the reasons why I decided to choose Lenny out of the very large list of truly great candidates that I started with:

-He has been around here a while (his 5th year anniversary as a registered BGG user is coming up in 2 months).
-He is more of a "behind the scenes" guy around here than a well-known contributor, and I think he needs to spend at least a week in the spotlight!
-He is such a warm-hearted, kind-hearted, generous dude who has shown me a great deal of support over the past couple of years.
-We have never met in person (although he was the first BGG user who I realized I would love to hang out with some day), and until such a day comes, I’d love to get to know him better.
-His philosophy and approach to life seems to parallel my own in a lot of ways, and I’m quite sure that I have some things to learn from him.
-His taste in games seems to be completely different than mine, which makes me intrigued to learn more about the games he enjoys.
-Seeing his avatar next to mine is just so perfect!

Even if you don’t know Lenny, I’d really encourage you to ask him some questions and get to know him better. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed!

So without further ado, it is with great pleasure that I introduce Lenny...

Quote:
Whoa-shimana! Geek of the Week? Me? It hardly seems possible! Honestly I never expected this would be me, as my contributions around here are limited, but I am truly flattered. I humbly accept this honor bestowed upon me by my brother Josh, as fine a virtual fellow as I’ve never met!

So, here’s me in a nutshell:

I was born in Greenville, South Carolina on 21 May 1963 and was adopted at birth by Donald and Mary Scovel of Cedar Falls, Iowa - the place I consider my ancestral home. I’ve known my whole life that I was adopted, and apart from childhood fantasies of rich, exotic birth parents (mostly when my parents were punishing me for this transgression or that,) I’ve been quite OK with it. Two things have always been missing though: a medical history, and a cultural/ethnic heritage. I think the absence of the latter has drawn me into communities my whole life.

I was a more or less happy kid growing up, although my parents never adopted again so I was an only child. Gaming was definitely part of childhood pastimes: Monopoly, Clue, Go For Broke were favorites. I also have memories of a 3D haunted house roll & move game called Which Witch? with dangers around every corner, randomly decided by a marble dropped down the chimney activating traps and pitfalls. My father was a Social Studies teacher at the university high school in Cedar Falls, and I remember finding a Risk game in the closet of his office that he let me keep. I don’t recall if there were rules with it, and to this day I’ve never played an actual game of Risk, but I remember getting out the board and the wooden cubes and having fun with it nonetheless.

Speaking of my father, as a Social Studies teacher he also had a great interest in history (he was quite the Anglophile) and trains. I remember when I was quite young him getting me up in the early morning hours and taking me and a friend to ride on the final run of some Midwestern passenger train, possibly the Illinois Central. Part of his career at the university lab school was curriculum development, and I remember play-testing an Iowa history train game he was developing as a teaching tool.

Fast forward to the 21st century: my adult life has been spent in Colorado, and Fort Collins has been my home for more than half my life now. I’m married to a beautiful woman, Eleanor
Together we have a thirteen year old daughter Samantha and two young adults from her first marriage, Mimi & Will. My father died when I was 17, and my 84 year old mother lives with us. I am a ten-fingered woodworker by profession and an actor by avocation. I'm also a road cyclist and committed bike commuter. It was a fellow actor who first introduced me to The Settlers of Catan sometime around 2003. I had been playing some games with my young adult friends including some of the old 3M Bookshelf games, but this...this was wonderful! I especially liked the aspect of social interaction. A modern-day gamer was born (perhaps to my wife’s chagrin!) Since then I’ve created a modest collection of ~225 games. I’ve enjoyed the math trades and auctions here on BGG. Several years ago I started a game group called the Worthy Gamers - we meet every Sunday afternoon for fellowship and gaming. I’ve been in the Secret Santa exchange, the Christmas/Holiday card exchange and the dreaded B.O.B. exchange. When I can I hang around Chit Chat as I find the people there clever and engaging. And I continue to support BGG annually because I can’t imagine any gaming magazine subscription that would give me what I get here.

My Core Values are:
Relationships are the only things of lasting significance that we create. Make each one count.
The power of love transforms.
Life should be fun; humor abides.
Honor your commitments.
Say what you mean and mean what you say.
Service to others adds meaning to life.

I try to live up to these although I'm often disappointed in my success rate. But hey - I'm a work in progress!

So - let the questions begin! I promise to answer everything as soon as I can!

P.S. As an inadequate tribute to Josh's awesome song, here's a little sumpin' sumpin' from Kermit:

Poll: LennyS - 2 truths and a lie
Which one is the lie?
I've been held captive in Lebannon.
I've been shot, stabbed, poisoned and hit with a battle axe.
I've been asked to personally consult several Heads of State including President Obama and former British P.M. Tony Blair.
      123 answers
Poll created by squash

And now I’ll get us started with 10 questions:

d10-1 One of my best friends lists Goa as his favourite game and it’s near the top of your list, but I’ve never played it. Why is it such a good game? Would someone such as myself, who generally isn’t into the heavier "Euro-style" games, enjoy it?

d10-2 Unless you’re behind in your ratings, you haven’t played any of my top 17 games. Why the hell not??

d10-3 What game in your collection that you haven’t played yet do you most want to play?

d10-4 What is your favourite New Belgium beer, and when will we drink one together? What about your favourite scotch?

d10-5 Do you have any intuitions regarding your cultural/ethnic background?

d10-6 Of the productions you have acted in, what has been your favourite?

d10-7 What era of history do you most enjoy reading about?

d10-8 How much do you like the Beatles (and what is your favourite Beatles song)?

d10-9 How do your souvenir pennies get smashed?

d10-1 d10-0 [Disclaimer: This is rather an unfair question since I generally refuse to discuss RSP issues in public forums, so feel free to skip this question and respond to it privately at some point, if you prefer.] I am quite interested in many things related to spirituality, so when I saw that you identified yourself as a Unitarian Universalist, it prompted me to read a little bit about it. What does being a Unitarian Universalist mean to you?

As for your 2 truths and a lie, here's what I think.

1) Lie! You were there of your own accord, and there's no denying it!

2) True! Who hasn't been shot, stabbed, poisoned and hit with a battle axe?

3) True! If I were a Head of State, I would certainly consult you!

Enjoy your week, my friend!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this honor Josh, and great questions to get started with! I have a commitment at the moment that I need to tend to, and I want to give your questions the attention they deserve, so I will return as soon as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to go Kermit. I will ask my standard question and then think of more later.

If you could play any one game, with whoever you wanted, who would you play with and what would you play. Please explain as completely as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Congrats, Lenny!

Hope you enjoy your week in the spotlight!

What's your favorite Muppet-filled TV Show? Mine's Fraggle Rock, but it's tough to not consider the original Sesame Street and Muppet Show.

How about Movie? The only one's I liked enough to watch repeatedly were the original Muppet Movie, Muppets Take Manhattan and Muppet Treasure Island. To this day I'll occasionally find my self humming "Moving Right Along", "Somebody's Getting Married", "Cabin Fever" or "Sailing for Adventure"

I just wanted to throw at least one question for you to chew on while I come up with others and attend to the plumbing work that needs to be done on our toilet that sprung a leak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A great choice for GOTW.

Congrats Lenny!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done Lenny, my birthday buddy.

Have a great week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
d10-1 One of my best friends lists Goa as his favourite game and it’s near the top of your list, but I’ve never played it. Why is it such a good game? Would someone such as myself, who generally isn’t into the heavier "Euro-style" games, enjoy it?

Goa is perhaps my favorite all-time game, although it is hard to choose. Why is it a good game? It elegantly balances several mechanics, is rich in theme and has deliciously difficult choices to make throughout. I don't know if someone who is not into "heavier" games would enjoy it, but I think it would really depend on who else is sitting at the table.

squash wrote:
d10-2 Unless you’re behind in your ratings, you haven’t played any of my top 17 games. Why the hell not??

You've outed me on being behind! I have very much enjoyed Mr. Jack - I like deduction games (I also like Timbuktu from your list, which I recently acquired in an auction.) A "funny" story with War of the Ring: a good friend of ours was trying to find Risk: LOTR for his young son for Christmas one year. He couldn't find it, but did find WOTR and bought it instead. Understand, this friend of ours is not a gamer and has no patience to muddle through complex rules, so his young son (maybe 6-7 at the time) wound up just playing with all the cool pieces. Shadows-Camelot is a favortie co-op game in our group - I just haven't been at that table in awhile.

Bottom line: you & I just need to get together for a fortnight of gaming!

squash wrote:
d10-3 What game in your collection that you haven’t played yet do you most want to play?

blushThere are so many!modest Probably Die Macher followed closely by Hamburgum

squash wrote:
d10-4 What is your favourite New Belgium beer, and when will we drink one together? What about your favourite scotch?

Not only is Biere de Mars my favorit NB brew, it is one of my favorite beers ever, from anywhere. Sadly, it only comes out on a sporadic basis. My favorite scotch so far would be a Mccallan cask strength. As far as "when we will lift our glasses together"....I'm quite thirsty now!

squash wrote:
d10-5 Do you have any intuitions regarding your cultural/ethnic background?

Well, I have very little body hair (TMI?) and can't grow facial hair to speak of, which might suggest Native American, but I have no other physical characteristics to suggest that. I am about as "white bread" as you can be, so I'm likely of that American mutt strain that is Brittish Isles/Scandanavian. One day soon I'll have a DNA test done that will at least place me.

squash wrote:
d10-6 Of the productions you have acted in, what has been your favourite?

There are many that stand out certainly (I've done 53 roles in the past 35 years!) I have a sentimental fondness for the role of Starbuck in The Rainmaker. Perhaps my favorite role though has been that of Kerry Max Cook in The Exonerated, which is a remarkable piece of theatre that tells the true stories of six people convicted of capital crimes, who spent time on death row, only to be exonerated. Kerry was on Texas death row for 22 years! In preparing for the role, I wound up contacting Kerry, and through my own efforts of fundraising, was able to bring him to Fort Collins where he did talk-backs after the show and gave a formal presentation in our community. Powerful stuff.

squash wrote:
d10-7 What era of history do you most enjoy reading about?

I inherited my father's love of anglo-history. British history of the Middle Ages is especially interesting to me. I love the books of Edward Rutherfurd.

squash wrote:
d10-8 How much do you like the Beatles (and what is your favourite Beatles song)?

Wow - how to quantify the love of something... Not as much as my wife and daughter...more than hamburgers...

squash wrote:
d10-9 How do your souvenir pennies get smashed?

How do you know about my smashed pennies? wow In many "touristy" places they have these hand-cranked machines into which you put 0.51 and penny is rolled flat with an image of that place imprinted. We look for them everywhere we go!

squash wrote:
d10-1 d10-0 [Disclaimer: This is rather an unfair question since I generally refuse to discuss RSP issues in public forums, so feel free to skip this question and respond to it privately at some point, if you prefer.] I am quite interested in many things related to spirituality, so when I saw that you identified yourself as a Unitarian Universalist, it prompted me to read a little bit about it. What does being a Unitarian Universalist mean to you?

I'm glad you asked this, because being a UU is a hugely important part of my life. I was brought up Catholic, but as a young adult began questioning matters of faith, particularly something as dogmatic as Catholocism. It was the early days of my actor training, and one of the things we were studying was Tai Chi. This led me to a deep appreciation of a more mystical cosmology. For most of my adult life the theatre was my church. If that sounds outrageous, just remember that Greek theatre was a religious ritual, and even modern theatre carries rituals and sacred space and community building traits.

My wife was brought up UU, and around 2000 was hired by our Ft. Collins church as Director of Religious Education for Children & Youth. I started just being around the church a lot, and was for many years considered the Utilitarian Universalist for my ability and willingness (like I had a choice, right?) of setting up tables and chairs, lifting heavy things and being generally helpfull.

A funny thing began to happen, though: I found that I was in relationship with these Unitarian Universalists. I still had hang-ups about being a "church" person, but eventially began to feel ashamed of myself for denying my association with these people who I love and respect. I was also discovering a new way of being that was more intentional then just trying to be a good person. There is great value in sharing a spiritual journey with others. I discovered that not only do I long for intimacy in my life, I also long for ultimacy. My transformation has been so complete that I actually considered seminary last year, although for practical reasons I probably will never travel that path. But, I've got ministry to perform right here in my church, and I am quite content with that.

Thanks for these great questions Josh! I can tell this is going to be really fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
I've been offline from BGG for the last couple of weeks, but I'll be back very soon!
badge
I'm that weirdo that keeps track of how many badges Kaffedrake has sold prior to yesterday
mb
Josh, how predictable can you get?... (great choice!)

Congratulations Lenny, have a great week!

Lenny, as one who is quite fuzzy myself, I'm curious: Why a Muppet and Kermit in particular?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
Way to go Kermit. I will ask my standard question and then think of more later.

If you could play any one game, with whoever you wanted, who would you play with and what would you play. Please explain as completely as possible.

Thanks Lance! I love your videos!

I would play an 18XX game with my father - I think he would have loved that. As a Social Studies teacher he also taught government, business and economics. And he was a huge train fan.

I miss you, Dad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
Congrats, Lenny!

Hope you enjoy your week in the spotlight!

What's your favorite Muppet-filled TV Show? Mine's Fraggle Rock, but it's tough to not consider the original Sesame Street and Muppet Show.

How about Movie? The only one's I liked enough to watch repeatedly were the original Muppet Movie, Muppets Take Manhattan and Muppet Treasure Island. To this day I'll occasionally find my self humming "Moving Right Along", "Somebody's Getting Married", "Cabin Fever" or "Sailing for Adventure"

I just wanted to throw at least one question for you to chew on while I come up with others and attend to the plumbing work that needs to be done on our toilet that sprung a leak.

Thanks Brian! My favorite muppet-filled show is definitely The Muppet Show. It was the Simpsons of its time because it was obviously prestigious to have a guest spot. I also remember (vaguely) muppets on the first season of Saturday Night Live, who were much more off-color than what we've come to know.

I love The Muppet Movie most I think, with Muppet Treasure Island a close second (Tim Curry is a muppet!) Muppet Christmas Carol is also very popular at our house.

Good luck with the toilet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
solove wrote:
A great choice for GOTW.

Congrats Lenny!!!

Thanks James! Hope life is GLEE-ful for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
Well done Lenny, my birthday buddy.

Have a great week.

Thanks John! You're all thumbs! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bail Organa wrote:
Josh, how predictable can you get?... (great choice!)

Congratulations Lenny, have a great week!

Lenny, as one who is quite fuzzy myself, I'm curious: Why a Muppet and Kermit in particular?

Thanks Bail!

Muppets in general, and Kermit in particular, belong to that cultural lexicon of representing our best selves. Like Charlie Brown, Dilbert and the inhabitants of The Far Side they are the gentle reminders of the wonder and fragility of being human. Kermit is so earnest and earthy - he has always been a hero of mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to the new Geek of the Week ! Don't forget to have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
West over water I fared bearing poetry's waves to the shore of the war-god's heart; my course was set. I launched my oaken craft at the breaking of ice, loaded my cargo of praise aboard my longboat aft.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to you sir! Did you really live in Wisconsin?

I've lived here all my life. I'm basking in the reflected glory of your win even if you merely had a cup of coffee in this state (or a lager).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
Congratulations to the new Geek of the Week ! Don't forget to have fun.

Thanks Leonie - I knew I was forgetting something!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
Congrats to you sir! Did you really live in Wisconsin?

I've lived here all my life. I'm basking in the reflected glory of your win even if you merely had a cup of coffee in this state (or a lager).

Thank you, Chrisitian! Yes, I did live (briefly) on Lake Superior's Chequamegon Bay between growing up in Iowa and moving to Colorado. Also, we had "family" that lived in Wisconsin when I was growing up so I've spent much time there. One of the most beautiful places I've been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Dushay
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, Lenny is definitely a worthy choice! Congrats!

Fun fact: Lenny is one of those game-pieces-stored-in-tiny-compartments-in-plastic-boxes guys. And I love to tease him about it!

Beautiful fact: When I left Fort Collins, Lenny surprised me with an amazing wooden chess board that he *made* for me. I was absolutely speechless -- which, as Lenny can tell you, is a very rare event. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2129876#2129876

Irrelevant fact: Lenny's hair is really thick.

Lenny - I miss you more than I can say. I've found gamers here, and they are worthy, but it just isn't the same. It was obvious from your Kermit avatar that we were going to hit it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geekette wrote:
Oh yes, Lenny is definitely a worthy choice! Congrats!

Fun fact: Lenny is one of those game-pieces-stored-in-tiny-compartments-in-plastic-boxes guys. And I love to tease him about it!

Beautiful fact: When I left Fort Collins, Lenny surprised me with an amazing wooden chess board that he *made* for me. I was absolutely speechless -- which, as Lenny can tell you, is a very rare event. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2129876#2129876

Irrelevant fact: Lenny's hair is really thick.

Lenny - I miss you more than I can say. I've found gamers here, and they are worthy, but it just isn't the same. It was obvious from your Kermit avatar that we were going to hit it off.

Naomi - *miss* does not even begin to describe your absence! Thanks for sharing these "facts" - however, I think you need corroboration before they can be deemed true!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Dushay
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Things I forgot to say:

Lenny introduced me to Goa, and I recently bought a copy on ebay because I enjoyed it so much.

I was going to out Lenny on Mr. Jack because he and I played it. I recall that he stomped me.

My cousins had Which Witch and I played it when we visited.

I was going to guess the pennies got smashed by trains, because Fort Collins (a small town) has THREE sets of train tracks and they are in active use. (yay trains! boo noise!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mb

Whoooo Hooooo!!!
CONGRATS FROG!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Iole

Fort Collins
Colorado
msg tools
These facts, *CAN* in fact be corroborated by me. (mmwahhm, haha, haaa)
I am a "worthy* gamer and have Lenny and a few others to thank for helping me pull out my inner geek/gamer self. PS - we really do miss you Naomi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
2015: The year of the wargame!!!
badge
Again with the negative waves!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on your geek of the week of honor. I used to know someone who lived in Ft Collins, his name was Bob, do you know him? Ahh probably not, he moved years ago...never mind.zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet!

Its the frog!

Whats your favorite game mechanism.
If you could adapt any book/movie into a game what would it be. What would the mechanism of that game be.
What game do you love, but hate that you love?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fire Lord
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Lenny!!

As an unworthy Worthy gamer, I have to ask:

What makes one worthy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.