Subject: Kid tested. Mother approved. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canadian Dave
United States
Lehi
UT
flag msg tools
Wise men say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
mbmbmbmbmb
My mother's idea of good games include abstract ones that don't require too much thought, including 10 Days in the USA, the original in this series. We sat down to play this and she gave it a definite thumbsupthumbsup.

Components:

4 sets of two wooden tile holders (each with 5 days)

56 destination tiles

21 transportation tiles including ships, planes, and railroads

1 map board

Game Play:

Take turns drawing a tile and putting them somewhere on your 10 Days tile holders until you have 10 tiles. You can't move them once they're in place until the game is about to begin.

Turn three tiles over so that there are three discard piles.

Now, take turns drawing one tile from any of the three face-up discard piles or from the draw pile. Replace one tile in your tile holder and discard it in any of the three discard piles (you may discard the tile you drew).

The game is over when you create a trip with 10 connected days using country and transportation tiles.

You must start and finish with a country tile.

How to connect tiles:

Walking: If two countries share a border or if there are a solid/dotted line connecting, you can place the destination tiles next to each other.

Flying: Each plane must be placed between two countries of the same color as the airplane.

Railways: A new feature for this game. There are a few railway lines that connect countries. Two countries on the railway line may be placed between a railroad.

Ships: There are two ship tiles; Indian and Pacific. A ship tile may be placed between two tiles bordering (or in) that ocean.

Analysis:

Definitely more thought involved with this one in planning tile placement. There is definitely a high level of luck, but there is also a higher factor of probability. The railroads and oceans connect many more tiles than previous editions. There is also the fact that several of the large countries that border numerous countries have two tiles. This allows for better strategics. Overall, I like this version the best of the three I own (USA, Africa, and Asia) and as a stamp of approval, so does my mom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good, simple review! We should game more with moms...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canadian Dave
United States
Lehi
UT
flag msg tools
Wise men say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well put by a fellow hockey fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.