Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
52 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Heroes of Graxia» Forums » Rules

Subject: Heroes of Graxia Q&A Update rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathew Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
oobydoob wrote:
I have another question. Suppose I am attacked and I use 4 of the 5 cards in my hand to defend myself. When it comes around to my next turn am I just stuck with the one card and two actions...which is how we've been playing...or do I get to pick up other cards somehow? Because having so few cards to do anything makes me a prime target for the next player again.


You always get UP TO five cards at the beginning and end of your turn, so in this case you'd be able to select more cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Berek Halfhand wrote:
You always get UP TO five cards at the beginning and end of your turn, so in this case you'd be able to select more cards.


Hmmm.... I must've missed that. Can you quote that in the rulebook for me? The only times I remember drawing cards happening is:

a) at the beginning of the game; or
b) when you are attacked and have less than 5 cards; or
c) if a card power triggers; or
d) if you spend actions on your turn to draw cards; or
e) after discarding your hand at the end of your turn's actions

Either I've missed a major rule of play (possible) or you've introduced a new rule here about refilling your hand at the beginning of the turn.

Per the original question, whenever I've been attacked and defend, on my turn, I often have fewer than 5 cards and have to play a pretty crippled turn if I played any spells or mercenaries during combat. Would that it were otherwise, but I can't find the rule that says so. Since I have some visual impairment, I'd appreciate the help finding the rule that Mathew is quoting.

Lee
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P
United States
St Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You always get UP TO five cards at the beginning and end of your turn, so in this case you'd be able to select more cards.


I must be either playing wrong or missed a rule as well...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Zdanio
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. That would really change some of the games we have played.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, to echo the others: I wish it WERE as Mathew describes; but I can't find anything in the rulebook which supports it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Bit of a clarification... at the beginning of your turn you draw up to five cards or to whatever limit you are allowed by your legion’s specials. If you had one card originally, you would draw at least 4 more cards at the beginning of your turn. It is the same as you do when you are attacked, you draw up to your limit before the combat.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Berek Halfhand wrote:
Bit of a clarification... at the beginning of your turn you draw up to five cards or to whatever limit you are allowed by your legion’s specials. If you had one card originally, you would draw at least 4 more cards at the beginning of your turn. It is the same as you do when you are attacked, you draw up to your limit before the combat.


Wow, this completely changes how the game is played. Mulligans are no longer a risky proposition and playing Spells during combat in which you have been attacked has almost no downside either.

This change, among other things, pretty much warrants a V1.1 of the rules, not just a FAQ entry.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
houjix1138 wrote:
Wow, this completely changes how the game is played. Mulligans are no longer a risky proposition and playing Spells during combat in which you have been attacked has almost no downside either.

This change, among other things, pretty much warrants a V1.1 of the rules, not just a FAQ entry.


I agree with Casey. This is a massive change to game strategy. Before you had to be cautious about defending.

Mathew, is your answer this time direct from the designer?

Lee
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:
houjix1138 wrote:
Wow, this completely changes how the game is played. Mulligans are no longer a risky proposition and playing Spells during combat in which you have been attacked has almost no downside either.

This change, among other things, pretty much warrants a V1.1 of the rules, not just a FAQ entry.


I agree with Casey. This is a massive change to game strategy. Before you had to be cautious about defending.

Mathew, is your answer this time direct from the designer?

Lee


Yes, this is the way the designers have been playing the game... however, together you guys probably play it more than they do .

If we need to tweak something for all other players to enjoy the game more, then that advice often comes from you guys in this way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mathew, since they are drawing hands at the start of the turn too, do they just do mulligans on hand draws only at the end of the turn, or at the beginning of the turn as well? I presume only just at the end of the turn.

Lee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FAQ wrote:
Q: What is the timing on Lord Vezin's heal effect? Does he heal all at once at a specific time or does he heal in response to each individual burst of damage (i.e., per spell AND per attack exchange)?

A: He heals at the end after Wounds are placed In Combat.
Quick question: say a legion is taking enough damage to kill it, but Lord Vezin's heal effect goes off.

Is there a gap for Vezin to heal after the wounds are applied but before the units die - or can Vezin only heal someone who hasn't taken fatal damage?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
FAQ wrote:
Q: What is the timing on Lord Vezin's heal effect? Does he heal all at once at a specific time or does he heal in response to each individual burst of damage (i.e., per spell AND per attack exchange)?

A: He heals at the end after Wounds are placed In Combat.
Quick question: say a legion is taking enough damage to kill it, but Lord Vezin's heal effect goes off.

Is there a gap for Vezin to heal after the wounds are applied but before the units die - or can Vezin only heal someone who hasn't taken fatal damage?


Hi Ryan,

I have a correction on the Q&A. Vezin can heal at any time during the battle sequence and also just before a fatal wound is delivered. I'll update the Q&A...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mathew, can you provide the answer to my question about mulligans? Also, can you provide a couple of examples of Lord Vezin's power using different activation times, situations, etc.

Lee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, this is getting a bit ridiculous.

Can we get a new rulebook? Please? The rules are starting to change so much, I don't recognize the game I played in light of some of these rulings.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Dave41fan wrote:
Honestly, this is getting a bit ridiculous.

Can we get a new rulebook? Please? The rules are starting to change so much, I don't recognize the game I played in light of some of these rulings.


We're working on one, though please treat this FAQ as the core document right now for any clarification to rules that may come across.

If you have any other questions to help us clarify some of the existing, please ask!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Berek Halfhand wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
FAQ wrote:
Q: What is the timing on Lord Vezin's heal effect? Does he heal all at once at a specific time or does he heal in response to each individual burst of damage (i.e., per spell AND per attack exchange)?

A: He heals at the end after Wounds are placed In Combat.
Quick question: say a legion is taking enough damage to kill it, but Lord Vezin's heal effect goes off.

Is there a gap for Vezin to heal after the wounds are applied but before the units die - or can Vezin only heal someone who hasn't taken fatal damage?


Hi Ryan,

I have a correction on the Q&A. Vezin can heal at any time during the battle sequence and also just before a fatal wound is delivered. I'll update the Q&A...


Thanks for the response, but I am still kind of confused as to how this works from a timing perspective.

How can you "heal" a wound that is taking place at the same time as the "heal"?

Maybe it'd just be easier to say that in the stage in which both players calculate wounds, Vezin can either reduce the # of wounds taken by half of the # of wounds his legion is dealing, or if no wounds are being taken, heal existing wounds in the same amount.

That also makes him kind of broken against monsters, since they have no defense. Against monsters he's an automatic increase of 50% of your attack as armor.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Vezin, there's also the question of when the healing occurs relative to damage causing spells that occur early in the combat.

Lee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Zdanio
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Berek Halfhand wrote:
Dave41fan wrote:
Honestly, this is getting a bit ridiculous.

Can we get a new rulebook? Please? The rules are starting to change so much, I don't recognize the game I played in light of some of these rulings.


We're working on one, though please treat this FAQ as the core document right now for any clarification to rules that may come across.

If you have any other questions to help us clarify some of the existing, please ask!


How about this one:
Quote:
Scratch and Griney give you a reward that allows a purchase that is "...up to..." an amount of Gold. Grax, Grog, Reliz the Claw,Tivix and Zookie allow a purchase "...for a total cost of...". We just wanted to make sure these were worded correctly. It can be real evil when you get one of the latter monsters, can not find a correct combination of cards and you are forced to take none as your Reward.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Zdanio
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I hate to harp on this question but I have asked it about 5 times and still haven't had an official answer. Any chance of getting one this time?

Quote:
Scratch and Griney give you a reward that allows a purchase that is "...up to..." an amount of Gold. Grax, Grog, Reliz the Claw,Tivix and Zookie allow a purchase "...for a total cost of...". We just wanted to make sure these were worded correctly. It can be real evil when you get one of the latter monsters, can not find a correct combination of cards and you are forced to take none as your Reward.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Rorik36 wrote:
Okay, I hate to harp on this question but I have asked it about 5 times and still haven't had an official answer. Any chance of getting one this time?

Quote:
Scratch and Griney give you a reward that allows a purchase that is "...up to..." an amount of Gold. Grax, Grog, Reliz the Claw,Tivix and Zookie allow a purchase "...for a total cost of...". We just wanted to make sure these were worded correctly. It can be real evil when you get one of the latter monsters, can not find a correct combination of cards and you are forced to take none as your Reward.


Hi Kurt, sorry about that! To answer your question, the two phrases essentially mean the same thing, "up to"... the latter cards you suggested do state this, but give a card count component to it.

The game won't force you to completely abandon purchasing of cards if the numbers don't like up just right . Sorry about the wording being a bit ambiguous in this regard.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Zdanio
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing that up. We were having fun forcing people to keep the count/cost exact so now I guess we can loosen up a bit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mathew, since you changed your answer on Lord Vezin, there's been confusion with a couple of us. Can you address this with a couple of examples? The first example should be dealing with a unit that would otherwise take lethal damage at the end of combat if he's not healed. The second example should involve Vezin's army and his opponent's army exchanging a couple of direct damage spells each prior to the fight, at least one of which would cause lethal damage to a unit on Vezin's team.

Thanks,
Lee Valentine
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to figure out exactly how the timing of healing works. The Q&As above include the following:
Quote:
Q15: What's the difference between healing allowed in combat vs. healing only outside of combat?

A: Healing "In Combat" allows units to be saved from direct damage spells.

Q39: Can you use a in combat heal to save a unit that already has damage just before they take damage from a spell.

A: No, the unit will die. When a card is played it's entire ability and it's effects are finished before the next card is played. In this scenario your unit would be lost. If, however, you had an ability that reduced wounds, as opposed to healing, that would save them.

Probably I'm misunderstanding something, but aren't these two Q&As saying opposite things? (see also the questions in this thread about timing of healing in combat.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Berek Halfhand wrote:
oobydoob wrote:
I have another question. Suppose I am attacked and I use 4 of the 5 cards in my hand to defend myself. When it comes around to my next turn am I just stuck with the one card and two actions...which is how we've been playing...or do I get to pick up other cards somehow? Because having so few cards to do anything makes me a prime target for the next player again.

You always get UP TO five cards at the beginning and end of your turn, so in this case you'd be able to select more cards.

Berek Halfhand wrote:
hudarklord wrote:
houjix1138 wrote:
Wow, this completely changes how the game is played. Mulligans are no longer a risky proposition and playing Spells during combat in which you have been attacked has almost no downside either.
This change, among other things, pretty much warrants a V1.1 of the rules, not just a FAQ entry.

I agree with Casey. This is a massive change to game strategy. Before you had to be cautious about defending.
Mathew, is your answer this time direct from the designer?

Yes, this is the way the designers have been playing the game...

This is a very important point (because it has significant implications for gameplay). Lest future readers get misled by these posts, it should be explicitly mentioned that these statements have subsequently been retracted. For details, see the post by Chuck Kroegel in this thread, where he acknowledges that drawing cards at the start of your turn is an optional way to play (only together with limitations to prevent mulligans from being exploited), and that it is not the official way to play:

Drawing cards at the START of a turn
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/597617

It seems that the official Q&As above have also been edited to reflect this change as follows:
Quote:
Q2: Suppose I am attacked and I use 4 of the 5 cards in my hand to defend myself. When it comes around to my next turn, am I just stuck with the one card and two actions, or do I get to pick up other cards?

A: The official rules are you draw cards at the end of the turn and replenish cards as necessary at the beginning of combat as the defender.

You can optionally draw cards at the beginning of your turn if agreed upon at the start of the game.

As others have pointed out above, allowing players to draw up to a full hand at the start of a turn would defeat the purpose of mulligans, and has the potential to create other game-play issues. It is worth noting that a player is disadvantaged by being a defender in combat - personally I wonder about the merits of a house-rule where the defending player may draw up to a full hand immediately at the end of combat.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Berek Halfhand wrote:
Q39: Can you use a in combat heal to save a unit that already has damage just before they take damage from a spell.

A: No, the unit will die. When a card is played it's entire ability and it's effects are finished before the next card is played. In this scenario your unit would be lost. If, however, you had an ability that reduced wounds, as opposed to healing, that would save them.

I have a question about the section I have bolded. I gather that spells and effects do not "stack" the way that they do in Magic the Gathering, for instance. But how can it be true that the entire ability and effects of a card are finished before the next card is played? Cards like Magic Shield ("Cancel any card that has just been played and discard it") otherwise become unplayable, and their whole point is to take effect before the previously played card comes into effect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.