Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Math Trade Video Tutorials rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Math-Trade-Info [+] math_trades [+] mathtradevideo [+] helpful [+] [View All]
Jim Stevens
United States
Oshkosh
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been involved in quite a few Math Trades since joining BGG. I had to learn by asking questions and reading a lot of "how to" postings. Lately, I've been working on video tutorials for my real life job and I wondered if video tutorials would work for something like Math Trades. I was actually surprised that no one had done this before, given the amount of questions that arise from new traders in each Math Trade. So, I humbly submit my tutorials on "How to Math Trade."

Part 1: How to find Math Trades and adding items

Part 2: Adding items via the OnLine Want List Generator (OLWLG)

Part 3: Editing your want list in the OLWLG

Part 4: Duplicate Protection in the OLWLG

I hope you find them useful!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should do the rest of the steps. Like how to find and use the results. How to setup trades after and how and when to ship etc.

I haven't watched the videos yet but I think it's a great idea. Do you also include important things like reading the rules of various math trades and knowing what is and isn't appropriate? I think stuff like that would be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Summers
United States
Ammon
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very, very nice job. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that was awesome - nice work! This is definitely a little boost to give me the courage to try a math trade. Thank you for doing these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant! Thanks for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Barnes
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just participated in my first MT and this could not have come at a better time.
Now I feel that in my next MT I will feel more confident in submitting more items...now that I know how to correctly run the Duplicate Items...Thank you!
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Schoonmaker-Gates
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job on the videos! They are very clear and informative. Thanks for taking the time to do this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mennillo
Canada
Cote St-Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great tutorials... I have participated in multiple Math Trades and I didnt know you can add items from previous math trades in the OLWLG. I was manually adding in the items every MT...
And yes to all the nay sayers, I HAVE read the instructions on math trading but there is something about following a video that makes thing alot easier. Thanks a lot. If I had any GG, I would give you some.

You should consider doing these videos for other aspects of BGG... To help all the noobs like myself use BGG to its full potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really, really helpful. It's probably the best of the math trade guides - no disrespect intended to the others who worked so hard on their guides - and it needs to be pinned.

Any mods out there agree?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stevens
United States
Oshkosh
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses! I'm glad that these have been so helpful. I am planning on doing a 5th for 'after the trade' and perhaps a few more on BGG in general, though I'm not really sure what else I'm qualified to teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
fwiw I created a page in the olwlg embedding Jim's 4 youtube vids but with an object size of 960x745 for folks like me who want to view them larger (for me it also ends up also playing them by default in 720p, ie. HD)

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/mathtradevideos.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colleen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great videos Jim! I was always confused with duplicate protection and would ask Karl to set it up. Now I understand it better! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sturm
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding videos, Jim. Wish these had been around during my early MT's. These should be a standard link on any MT header.

Not that you need to improve these, but here's a couple of ideas if you wanted to expand them a little.

Regarding the warnings in duplicate protection: if you simply wait until you've added all your wanted items before you check any boxes in step 4, you won't see the red warnings about items wanting themselves. A mention of this at the end of the video might help users adopt a stronger "best practices" approach to using the OLWLG.

Also, the dummy-item/real-item relationship concepts you outline in the duplicate protection video go about 80% of the way toward explaining how to manually create dummy items, too. Seems like you could build off what you've taught in that video to show folks how to make dummy items manually instead of just using the automatic function.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Boses
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boathouselooper wrote:
Thanks for all the responses! I'm glad that these have been so helpful. I am planning on doing a 5th for 'after the trade' and perhaps a few more on BGG in general, though I'm not really sure what else I'm qualified to teach.

As a total noob I found these so much more helpful than the written guides. I think that videos of general BGG things would be great too!
Good Job and Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Pike III
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking to do a math trade for a long time and I think these videos have given me the confidence to go through with it. Thank you so much for creating these!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incubus wrote:
I've been looking to do a math trade for a long time and I think these videos have given me the confidence to go through with it. Thank you so much for creating these!!

Same here. I may put up a few items this time just to see how it goes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker Derby
United States
Ishpeming
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These were very comprehensive, thanks a ton! I've just tossed 4 games into this years 'It's that time of year' math trade. I'm really excited, couldn't have done it without you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
farah naz
Pakistan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
wow these are nice informations so thanks for sharing with us in this forum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelė B.
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very great videos thumbsup
Helped me a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Campbell
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only made it thru first three so far, but suddenly MT are a lot less daunting than they were 20 minutes ago. Very nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erica
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for this! I was totally lost before watching these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schwenker
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You... Are... A... Savior!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Pearon
United States
Potsdam
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schwenkstar wrote:
You... Are... A... Savior!

Here here!!! Would not have made it through this first math trade without these videos!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a quick question about the boxes next to the games in the want list? What are these for and how to use them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kinunen
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just entered my first math trade thanks to you. I would have never figured it out without these short concise videos. Thanks heaps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.