Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I introduced this game to my family this weekend and my 10 year old sister really liked it. She kept requesting to play over and over even after everyone else was finished. Not wanting to deny her I came up with a quick variant to make a 2-player game a little more interesting.

In the vein of my other variants I've created (Lost Cities and For Sale) there is a ghost player you are playing against. Let's call this guy George.

Rules:

Players take their turns as normal with all rules applying per the regular game. George goes third. On George's turn, draw three chips one at a time. If George draws a chip that matches another player's top chip, he will steal it. Any player with a matching animal must give it to him. However, if George draws a Cheeky Monkey, he will only steal other monkeys, he will never trade for another type of animal. After you draw George's third chip, place them on his stack in order with the lowest value animal(s) on the bottom. George never draws more than three chips. All duplicate copies of animals will stay next to each other. If George draws a duplicate animal his turn is over. Put all chips he collected on that turn back.

At the end of the game calculate George's score as normal. If he won, shame on you!

The reason you might want to use this variant is that it gets more chips out of the bag resulting in a quicker game, provides more opportunity for players to steal animals (another stack to take from), and also provides more opportunity for players to be stolen from which makes the game a little more interesting.

When we tried it today it worked very well. It was easy to remember to do and easy to implement. I think the game will still be better with more people, but if you are stuck having to play it with two I am confident this will improve it for you.

Any feedback is always appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
kvenosdel wrote:
I introduced this game to my family this weekend and my 10 year old sister really liked it. She kept requesting to play over and over even after everyone else was finished. Not wanting to deny her I came up with a quick variant to make a 2-player game a little more interesting.

I like the two-player game as is. You know that every chip not in your stack will end up in the opponent's, so you fight harder for majorities in animals. If you're good at counting, you can track such things and play to the odds when drawing or deciding to swap with a monkey.

Cheeky Monkey is vastly different when played with two, four or six, but I think in all cases the game works great under the published rules. You just need to adjust your playing style to account for how many opponents you face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.