Recommend
55 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Strategy Games» Forums » General

Subject: Ancient map of Germany discovered rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,720513,...

The article includes a quote from the Roman historian Tacitus, stating that the inhabitants of the area spent their time "indulging excessively in dice games".
40 
 Thumb up
0.15
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dweeb wrote:

The article includes a quote from the Roman historian Tacitus, stating that the inhabitants of the area spent their time "indulging excessively in dice games".

Interesting article! Thanks! thumbsup
Barbarian geeks playing dice, another bad habit picked up from the Romans...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
They even had a 'primitive version' of "YAHTZEE!" with their "UGGWURST!"
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacitus wrote:
people {in Germany} lived in thatched huts and dugout houses, subsisting on barley soup and indulging excessively in dice games.

New commercial tagline for Essen:
Eurogaming. That old.

On a related note, recent study from Munich University has shown that the German term for 'tacked-on theme' was already used in the early Middle Ages.

15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Planet
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
Tacitus wrote:
people {in Germany} lived in thatched huts and dugout houses, subsisting on barley soup and indulging excessively in dice games.

New commercial tagline for Essen:
Eurogaming. That old.

On a related note, recent study from Munich University has shown that the German term for 'tacked-on theme' was already used in the early Middle Ages.


Can't be Euro... because of the dice. These Germans were wargamers.
22 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, and we can figure out what "living on barley soup" is really a code for!

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are!
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Yeah, and we can figure out what "living on barley soup" is really a code for!


What is that? I can't find it in my German dictionary. Is it like FUBAR again?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Rosenau
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
kduke wrote:
Yeah, and we can figure out what "living on barley soup" is really a code for!


What is that? I can't find it in my German dictionary. Is it like FUBAR again? :what:


Graupensuppe, quite like Scotch broth I reckon. Or maybe Tacitus could not place beer.
6 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zickzack wrote:
sullafelix wrote:
kduke wrote:
Yeah, and we can figure out what "living on barley soup" is really a code for!


What is that? I can't find it in my German dictionary. Is it like FUBAR again?


Graupensuppe, quite like Scotch broth I reckon. Or maybe Tacitus could not place beer.


In my region it's called "Gerschtesupp".

The "Gerschtesupp" or "Graupensuppe" (in englisch simply "barley-broth"), was a meal for the poor people.
In the dark ages, e.g., it was common among the poorer people, because it's cheap and saturating. Maybe comparable to porridge.

This meal was also popular in ww2 prison camps (cheap and saturating).
So, you could say that "living on barley soup" is a term for a bad situation (in the sence of food supply).

But, I wouldn't underestimate the barley-soup.
My grandma had a great recipe with bacon and vegetables.
12 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
konsum24 wrote:
Zickzack wrote:
sullafelix wrote:
kduke wrote:
Yeah, and we can figure out what "living on barley soup" is really a code for!


What is that? I can't find it in my German dictionary. Is it like FUBAR again?


Graupensuppe, quite like Scotch broth I reckon. Or maybe Tacitus could not place beer.


In my region it's called "Gerschtesupp".

The "Gerschtesupp" or "Graupensuppe" (in englisch simply "barley-broth"), was a meal for the poor people.
In the dark ages, e.g., it was common among the poorer people, because it's cheap and saturating. Maybe comparable to porridge.

This meal was also popular in ww2 prison camps (cheap and saturating).
So, you could say that "living on barley soup" is a term for a bad situation (in the sence of food supply).

But, I wouldn't underestimate the barley-soup.
My grandma had a great recipe with bacon and vegetables.

bacon Bacon! bacon

Tipped for baconiciousness
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Actually, within the POW Camps, then it was usually: "barely soup!" robot
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
Actually, within the POW Camps, then it was usually: "barely soup!" robot

No. I think the catering in allied prison camps was far better than that of the germans, (I excluded russia here).
My grandpa (paternal) had luck that he was in US war imprisonment and he was in very good shape.
That not only comes from barley soup.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice that they have it in English as well
I like the fact that those cities on the map are in the middle of nowhere nowadays^^
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, thanks to the OP for the link. Fascinating article.

Secondly, the snark in the follow-ups is first rate. This thread delivers the goods.

Thanks to all for brightening an otherwise crummy afternoon.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Aspley
Queensland
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
konsum24 wrote:
My grandma had a great recipe with bacon and vegetables.


What did the vegetables have to do with it?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
konsum24 wrote:
My grandma had a great recipe with bacon and vegetables.
Friendless wrote:
What did the vegetables have to do with it?
wow sssssh! and don't mention the WAR! or you'll bring up & out with the "Soup NAZI!" surprise
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
konsum24 wrote:
My grandma had a great recipe with bacon and vegetables.


What did the vegetables have to do with it?

Fresh vegetables are very important!
Like carrots: They give a nice tasty sweetness. A very good contrast to the hearty taste of the bacon.
Leeks (I hope this is the right english term) are also important: It adds a mild spicy taste.
And not to forget the nutrients.

Formidable!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lester
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
NO SOUP FOR YOU!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
konsum24 wrote:
Friendless wrote:
konsum24 wrote:
My grandma had a great recipe with bacon and vegetables.


What did the vegetables have to do with it?

Fresh vegetables are very important!
Like carrots: They give a nice tasty sweetness. A very good contrast to the hearty taste of the bacon.
Leeks (I hope this is the right english term) are also important: It adds a mild spicy taste.
And not to forget the nutrients.

Formidable!


I'm cooking with friends tomorrow. I shall endeavour to describe all my food as formidable.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really amazing how detailed a picture scholars have of what went on in "Germania libera" (free Germany). Especially a book called "Im Inneren Germaniens", which is an excellent recent survey, provided invaluable demographical information when I worked for a time on a game covering the events round 9 AD.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Yes, and they'd "haul GROK" from their enslaved 'minds' with such as THIS conveyance. robot

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Dweeb wrote:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,720513,...

The article includes a quote from the Roman historian Tacitus, stating that the inhabitants of the area spent their time "indulging excessively in dice games".

WRONG FORUM.....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.