Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony barrett
United Kingdom
st neots
cambs
flag msg tools
mb
Although not an expert in this field (I have 4 or 5 plays of HOS, R3, Liberty and Julius Caeser) I have found this the most satisfing of the block games I have played and also the most tense, I am 2 of the 3 games I have played have come down to the last battle after a slow build up over the 3rd and 4th years.

Do people agree?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was a very good game and one of Columbia's best as far as a shorter easier game goes, but I still like Liberty the best of what I have played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
I still like Liberty the best of what I have played.

(pssssst. The original poster's country lost that war!) devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it better than both Crusader Rex and Hammer of the Scots. And Hammer of the Scots used to be one of my highest rated games. But the narrow front and winter/surge dance of HotS grew tiresome. JC has more scope for strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as i am concerned yes, the play balance is SUPER to say the least. Before this game came along Quebec 1759 was the best short game i felt. This game has greater depth, and replay value, though it takes almost twice the time of Quebec 1759, it still plays under 2 hours once you know where everything on the map is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bazzer52 wrote:
Do people agree?

No!

It is still a fine game, that I enjoy. But after three plays I begin to see what is missing in this game for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Karlsson
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell us! What is missing in this game for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andre Heller
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
TGov wrote:
I still like Liberty the best of what I have played.

(pssssst. The original poster's country lost that war!) devil

Don´t mention the war!whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon Karlsson wrote:

In short: there is not enough connection with this history for me.

In my games Caesar stays in Italy, while Pompey dug in on Sicily. In fact he travelled / campaigned around a lot. And what is the use of the Cleopatra block?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
"Texas Glory" is my favorite. It is highly asymmetric, has high drama, and is surprisingly realistic. "Julius Caesar" and "Liberty" are competing for second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Northey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
anemaat wrote:
Jon Karlsson wrote:

In short: there is not enough connection with this history for me.

In my games Caesar stays in Italy, while Pompey dug in on Sicily. In fact he travelled / campaigned around a lot. And what is the use of the Cleopatra block?

I haven't found anything like this happening in any of my games. Caesar usually ends up in the east, Pompey can literally end up anywhere, Rome, Byzantium, Athens, Gaul.

Last game I had an army from Utcia eventually make it into Cisalpine Gaul (not on purpose, slowly over many turns, due to opponents keeping the Spanish coast defended well). I then made a quick pincer attack on Rome. The tactics seem pretty fluid because of the diversity in starting hands and the lack of units in the east.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.