Josh
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRonimo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Noticing that the rules to this mini-expansion have been put up on the website, I see that it specifically mentions that the Necromancer Island itself is placed in the central lake of whichever board is used, and that the lake is immune to Seafaring race attacks.

Clearly this weakens Seafaring. It removes a nice central "adjacent" attack space, plus of course the VP that remains indestructible during decline.

Recommendations on re-balancing Seafaring when the Necromancer is around?
Suck it up and deal?
Remove it from the pool? (Again, no pun intended )
Reserve it as a Necromancer choice only?
Rely on the self-balancing nature of the game regarding weak race/power combos and gold?

Am I overly concerned?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Tritons suffer even more.
It doesn't say so specifically, but since the lake is not a lake any more, I think they can't conquer the areas near the lake at -1.

But I think the race-choosing mechanism should balance it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raviv wrote:
It doesn't say so specifically, but since the lake is not a lake any more, I think they can't conquer the areas near the lake at -1.

But I think the race-choosing mechanism should balance it out.

I can't see why the lake stops being a lake. Without anything to rule it out, tritons are a very good race against the necromancer, as he has to start conquering coastal regions.

As for seafaring, it's been seriously nerfed. Not only you can't conquer the lake, the road from one sea to the other is at least 2 regions longer, which makes getting 2 unconquerable declinable regions way harder, almost impossible. I'd still leave it in, it *will* have a nice pile of coins on it when anyone gets it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miloboy gogogo
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pygmie suffer from Necro too(Token was capture)
Goblin will be our Hero deal with him

I see that Goblin and elves(force to decline)
will be necro first target

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRonimo!
mbmbmbmbmb
raviv wrote:

The rule sheet for NecroIsland specifically refers to it as a "lake region". I don't think it kills the Triton special.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is Necromancer Island. So there's still a lake there. So Tritons are not affected, but yes, Seafaring gets hosed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Seafaring gets hosed - its in the rules. However this is Small World where such changes autobalance themselves.

I love you Small World.

Thinking for a second that Tritons would be effected is just an overactive imagination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Eddie is correct on all points. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Marcus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
It does seem pretty clear from the rules that no other Seafaring race can conquer the Lake region surrounding Necromancer Island. What if the Necromancer is Seafaring? That seems like much more of a grey area (based on the phrasing in the rulebook) to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ballou
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
osirun wrote:
It does seem pretty clear from the rules that no other Seafaring race can conquer the Lake region surrounding Necromancer Island. What if the Necromancer is Seafaring? That seems like much more of a grey area (based on the phrasing in the rulebook) to me...
I think the Necromancer will just pass on buying Saefaring as it does little for him, and removing it from the pool is a win for the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hruza
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gavanized Yankee wrote:
osirun wrote:
I think the Necromancer will just pass on buying Saefaring as it does little for him, and removing it from the pool is a win for the other players.

Wouldn't Seafaring Ghosts (in water) be immune to conquests?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Marcus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
bigfriendlymike wrote:
Gavanized Yankee wrote:
osirun wrote:

Wouldn't Seafaring Ghosts (in water) be immune to conquests?

In our game, where the Necromancer player whined and pleaded that he should be allowed to conquer the Lake region surrounding his island using Seafaring until we gave into him, he did REALLY well out of having two Ghost-occupied regions that none of us could attack. If it had been one region (a long way from his island, and hard to get to), it clearly wouldn't have been worth his while buying Seafaring.

I'd really like an official ruling on whether, while playing with the Necromancer Island expansion, there is no central Lake region, under any circumstances!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
osirun wrote:
What if the Necromancer is Seafaring? That seems like much more of a grey area (based on the phrasing in the rulebook) to me...

That's a cool question!

But to me the answer is pretty clear-cut:

Quote:
2. Conquering Regions
The Necromancer uses the Ghosts he has on the map to conquer new Regions, following the same Conquest rules as other players (placing lost tokens into the Well of Souls, etc...). His Border Regions are those surrounding the central Lake Region, and no Ghost needs to remain on Necromancer Island, whose Lake Region is immune to other players (even Seafaring ones).

The Ghosts start on the Island, and their bordering regions are the ones adjacent to the Lake. The strong implication is that the Lake becomes synonymous with the Island for all game purposes -- there is no additional Lake region to conquer. Otherwise, the Lake region would be the bordering area to start the conquest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Meh, I'm not sure I like the default rules because it is less than interesting for trying to use Seafaring to slow down the Necromancer. I think I shall add a house rule:

The Necromancer island borders the lake shore regions like the rule states, but either he, or another player who takes Seafaring, can conquer the lake without impeding the adjacency of the island to the shore regions.

That way seafaring isn't gimped, and it doesn't impede the Necromancer (because ghosts float over the water).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.