Hide
3 Posts

Keltis» Forums » General

Subject: Balancing issues? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Papadopoulos
msg tools
I play Ra - The Dice game a lot and I like the fact that the second player starts with +1 score, the third +2 and the fourth +3. This is due to some reasons and one of them is that the fourth player will likely play 1 turn less than some of the others.

I sense that this thing happens on Keltis also. The starting point allocation shouldn't be like Ra - Dice? The starting player has chance to play 1 full turn more, he can rush to get a diamond... And I think the +1 would be enough for every player, starting from the second.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yegor Sadoshenko
Ukraine
Dniepropetrovsk
Dniepropetrovsk region
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played Ra, so can't compare. But I don't see the need for +1 score in Keltis. There are 5 pathways, so if you can't get ahead on one, you could, probably, on the other. It's the cards that decide the game here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sutured wrote:
I play Ra - The Dice game a lot and I like the fact that the second player starts with +1 score, the third +2 and the fourth +3. This is due to some reasons and one of them is that the fourth player will likely play 1 turn less than some of the others.

Those numbers are actually at their best with 4 players. Assume a turn is worth 4 points (I'll come back to that). Then assuming a random finish player (which is a reasonable assumption) then the extra turns relative to the last player are, on average, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 and 0. Or 3, 2, 1, 0 points. Which is what is done. Given that there is randomness in the game (it is, after all, a dice game) that's appropriate. Let's put it this way, on those assumptions I don't have a preferred position.

You may note that the balancing is less good with 2 or 3 players. With 2 players it would be better to give the second player 2 points. But simplicity of a single rule beat that out. With 3 players the best simple handicaps would be 0, 1.5, 3 assuming a 4.5 point average turn, but half points are messy.

As for the value of a turn, if you play the game and keep track of your turns and scores you'll come back saying "that's too high". But you have to consider for example what is the value of your first civilization? It's not 0, it's actually 5 as it spares you from -5. To work out the true value of a game to assess handicaps you need to assess civilizations nor as scoring -5 to 15 but 0 to 20, and similarly for pharaohs. This incidentally is also how to assess whether the four areas are comparable in value. As for the 4 figure, results were above 4 when we tested, but that wasn't final rules. Changes will have reduced scores a bit, so 4 is probably not a bad value, close enough to use to base a handicap on. Reiner probably has numbers in his files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.