Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
105 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: Drakkenstrike's 3rd Components Breakdown Video CONTEST *** WINNER ANNOUNCED *** rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Salinas
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
Drakkenstrike's Components Breakdown Video Review Series in HD
mbmbmbmbmb
*** UPDATED - Nov. 1st, 2010 ***

Reading through 300+ Comments and trying to discern one that stood out from the others was far more difficult than I realized it would be. Usually I've had my winner posted the night the Contest ended, this one though took me quite a bit longer than I expected by doing the Contest in this manner.

There were a lot of great entries, some were funny, some were critical or suggestive of things I might wish to change, while other were more appreciative of the Video Series as a whole.

I tried to read through them all as open minded as I could, but in the end, it came down to two entries.....

One from the Norenberc Video....and one from the Isla Dorada Video. In the end though, I had to go with my gut feeling and pick the comment that spoke the most true to what the "Components Breakdown Video Series in HD" experience is all about to me.

Therefor, I chose the entry below which can be found in the Isla Dorada Video thread. I chose it because he described exactly what I was attempting to do with my Video Series, and that is to create a movie like "experience" for the viewers. Some may like it, some may not, but it is who I am and what "I" enjoy, so that's why I spend so much time with the VFX and the Editing and the Music, etc.....to produce something that I am not only proud of, but something that the Designers can hopefully say, "Wow, that's a great representation of my game":

Drakkenstrike's Isla Dorada Components Breakdown in HD

Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"One of my favorite things about a Drakkenstrike video review are those first few seconds, the ones that make me feel like I'm sitting in a movie theater with my popcorn, ready to see the new release!

To put a backdrop on it, I am the parent of two young ones, and most of the night is dedicated to them. After bathtime and stories, they get dumped in bed and these days, drift off in about 10-15 mins. Now, my wife is currently home on leave ready to give birth to our third (and last!), but just a week or so ago she was still working as a night nurse, and there were several nights that I did the above process re: kids and then had no significant other around to spend time with. On these particular nights, and after the 10-15 minute obligatory wait required above, I was in the kitchen grabbing a healthy snack and a big mug of a tasty beverage, full attention focused on getting back to the back room, sitting down in front of the widescreen HD monitor, and pulling up your newest video reviews.

Let's explain why this excites me so much that it becomes my first non-kid activity of the evening. You see, earlier that morning I had logged into BGG like usual, and noticed that there were new Drakkenstrike videos on my subscription tag. At this point, with the amount of videos you had been (and still are) producing, this was a pretty common occurrence, and it's also pretty darn sweet! So I went through my day with this in mind (I don't care how geeky that sounds) -- cares of the day floating away, safe in the knowledge that I would have new Components Breakdown videos to watch later on. I'm a bit of a component whore myself, and also a big fan of a brief description of the rules of the game to see if I want to purchase/play it. As much as I love The Spiel, the descriptions are a bit too detailed -- I just want a brief glimpse to get the idea. I find that I get just enough out of your videos to know whether I want the game or not. Very handy skill you have there, sir!

Anyway, on to Isla Dorada, one of my most-anticipated games at Essen this year, both for the look of the game and for the designers. Great intro as always, I'm excited! Tomb Raider music, YES! Flashbacks to that beautiful butt! So, I was a bit nervous seeing this that Fantasy Flight picked this up, because they tend to bog down games a little bit too much for my liking with five-billion cards and chits to organize. Fortunately, this doesn't seem like too much of a problem. Of course, the thing I love and respect about FFG is that they can make a gameboard. I wish Defenders of the Realm looked like this, and it's a good example of why I have been outspoken on the board in that game. You're a great game explainer. I'd like to be at the table when you explain a game. The game seems like fun, although I'm not sure I'm completely sold on all the blind information, and all the point handing-out at the end. I'm pretty sure this is going to have to be a 'try' right now for me -- I love some things about it, and some things I'm not sure about. I LOVE strange, unique games though -- creativity is a big deal for me in board games right now, and so this is solidly on the Try list.

Anyway, I better stop watching these new Drakkenstrike videos, shake the popcorn off my shirt, and get back to the pregnant lady. Thanks a bunch, Jeremy!"

I also wanted to give very special props to this entry, which is just creative in so many ways....I will have to think of someway to reward you for this....it's pretty cool (P.S. Kevin you need an AVATAR !!):

Kevin Garnica
United States
Buena Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"Hey Jeremy, I don't know if you've heard, but they have discovered deep in the annals of Mythology an ode written for a great reviewer called Drakkenstrike.

Yeah, seriously, I was stunned, too. I thought those stories were only legend, but we now have archaeological evidence which suggests the actual existence of this grander-than-life figure. Apparently, it was written by a lowly peasant of the time who really wanted to be the recipient of the great Drakkenstrike's generosity.

Fortunately, due to my status within my own imagination, I was able to acquire the only surviving copy of the ancient document. And in the spirit of giving, I thought I would share my precious finding with you and with the rest of the BBG community.

So, without further ado, I give you......

Ballade of the Drakkenstrike

There once was a gamer named Jeremy,
Whose spirit of giving was merry.
And such did he prove,
With all doubt removed,
Through a contest for someone like you or me.

Some video reviewers will fall down,
While others will layeth the smack down.
But along comes Salinas,
To show what the king has –
A series of Components Breakdown.

He has a collection to envy,
With brand-new releases aplenty.
From modest beginnings,
To numerous viewings,
Polished and fine is each entry.

They’re thorough and full of detail,
Yet brief and succinct without fail.
But to others, take note:
He’s not one to gloat,
So bow down and shout out: “All hail!”

From K2 to Gosu and Haggis,
He also does classics like Caylus.
But deep down inside
He has nothing to hide,
And parties by playing Lords of Vegas.

His games are of all different genres,
From fillers to fantasy sagas.
But crappy inserts,
And Jeremy resorts
To purchasing of Plano boxes

He tells us which games are a must,
Like owning the Tactics of Dust.
With pre-painted toys,
For all girls and boys,
We’ve come now to give him our trust.

He uses some awesome film soundtracks
For intro effects used to THE max
From films popular
To movies obscure,
For this I commend you, “congrats!”

The babbling stream of the brooks
Shall whisper his name in the books.
To ladies – he’s cute
With glasses to boot,
He’s also got dashing good looks

His image should be in the cinema.
His voice should be heard in the media.
If not for the better,
Then we should consider:
His name, at least, in Wikipedia

Your views are indeed the most helpful;
Expression of speech is most thoughtful.
With each episode
I’m likely to hold
My breath, as you make me more grateful.

So thank you for all of your hard work.
Without your reviews I’d go berserk.
Don’t ever stop this
You camcorder wiz.
(I really, really want Norenberc!)"

Kevin, I will figure out some way to give you something for this...just give me some time please !!

I will be posting a winner as soon as I've had a chance to read through all the comments !!

I wanted to once again personally thank those whom have supported my work and gave suggestions regarding all my "Components Breakdown in HD Series" Videos that I have been producing for the better part of the past three months.

Drakkenstrike's Components Breakdown Video Series in HD

After the huge amount of responses and overwhelming success of my first Two Contests, I wanted to move forward with a third Contest and give everyone who enters a chance to win a FREE Game of YOUR CHOICE - WHAT?.

Drakkenstrike's 50th Components Breakdown Video in HD CONTEST - 1st CONTEST

Drakkenstrike's 2nd Components Breakdown Video in HD CONTEST - 2nd CONTEST

This year I was lucky enough to have an INCREDIBLE Husband and Wife Team here on BGG gather 10 Games for me at Essen 2010, and ship them to me. What a wonderful and generous gesture from one family to another, and it reinforces my beliefs that BGG is one of the nicest communities out there. In the spirit of giving, I too intend to continue providing quality Videos while trying to give away whatever products I can when afforded to me. I have spent alot of time catching up with rules since my Essen 2010 games arrived, so I am behind the curve just a bit.

Therefore, this contest will involve something a little different, yet the same in a way.

I will be giving away ONE (1) BRAND NEW, SHRINKWRAPPED Game to celebrate the spirit of giving. This time though, there is a catch....the winner decides what game he wants from a list of mine.

The Rules of the Contest are this, please make sure you read through them carefully:

1 Only one entry per person
2 You must post a comment in THIS thread with two different items. The first item is: Pick the top 3 games that you WANT to see added to my Components Breakdown Series from a list of games below that I received at Essen. The second item is: List ONE Game that you WANT from a list of Games that I am giving away (Also can be viewed below)
3Next, you must go to my Geeklist at Drakkenstrike's Components Breakdown Video Series in HD and pick any of the Games that I have presented in my Video Series from number 51-62. Next, click on their individual Video Link for that game and watch the Video. thumbsup the Video only if you enjoyed it and make a INSPIRING comment about the video (good/bad/constructive, doesn't matter).
4 The winner will be determined from the best COMMENT on Videos #51-#62. This is MY opinion, so make your comments count.

My Essen 2010 Games that have YET to be Reviewed in my Series:

London
Sid Meier's Civilization
Dakota
Era of Inventions
Grand Cru (Wooden Box Edition)
Merkator
Mousquetaires du Roy

My NEW-SHRINKWRAPPED Games that I am giving away:

Defenders of the Realm
Battles of Westeros
Norenberc
Inca Empire

I do not want to hold this Contest for more than just a few days. I know the type of person that I am, and waiting out long, overdrawn Contests is always a chore for me personally. So I want this to be quick and painless so whomever wins can start enjoying their NEW game ASAP.

Therefore, the Contest will end on SUNDAY, OCT. 31st at 10:00 PM, so enter ASAP if you want to have a chance at winning.

One final note:
Again, similair to my first and second Contest, I sincerely apologize for having to charge for the Shipping Costs, but please realize that I am NOT a Corporation or have unlimited funds, I am a one man band here and am just trying to help out the community as best I can. Please no comments on Shipping Costs, I would like this to be a fun event for all whom participate.

Good Luck and Happy Guessing !!

Jeremy D. Salinas
Drakkenstrike's Components Breakdown Video Series in HD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Salinas
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
Drakkenstrike's Components Breakdown Video Review Series in HD
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Drakkenstrike's 3rd Components Breakdown Video CONTEST *WIN FREE GAME OF YOUR CHOICE*
Example of HOW to enter - make sure you thumbsup the videos and make comments where you deem necessary. Below is what your entry here should look like !!

Games I want to see Reviewed:
1. XXXXX
2. XXXXX
3. XXXXX

Game I want to win:
1. XXXXX

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Drakkenstrike's 3rd Components Breakdown Video CONTEST *WIN FREE GAME OF YOUR CHOICE*
1. London
2. Era of Inventions
3. Merkator

Game I want to win:
1. Norenberc (Your video sold me on this game that I hadn't even been tracking, planning to watch the Inca video later tonight)

Edit: Wow, Never been the first posting on anything!
Edit: Made my, hopefully creative, comment on the Norenberc video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. London
2. Sid Meier's Civilization
3. Grand Cru

Game I want to win:
1. Battles of Westeros

Thanks for the contest! I am leaving my comment on your breakdown of The Resistance now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
1. Sid Meier's Civilization
2. Mousquetaires du Roy
3. Dakota

Game I want to win:
1. Battles of Westeros
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Drakkenstrike wrote:

My Essen 2010 Games that have YET to be Reviewed in my Series:

London
Sid Meier's Civilization
Dakota
Era of Inventions
Merkator
Mousquetaires du Roy

My NEW-SHRINKWRAPPED Games that I am giving away:

Defenders of the Realm
Battles of Westeros
Norenberc
Inca Empire

Review in this order:
Merkator
Grand Cru
Era of Inventions

If I won one...
Defenders of the Realm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
Raiko & Agnes Forever! Feel the Love and Feel the Warmth. Happiness is 2 hugs plus 3 kisses every hour...:D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
badge
Addicted Estonian gamer with big heart and direct winning attitude. Need any help with something, just ask. Need some GG for something, just ask. Need something to be translated, just ask. Meanwhile, behave! :D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
mbmbmbmbmb
Era of Inventions
Mousquetaires du Roy

Game I want to win:
Norenberc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hobday
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2. London
3. Mousquetaires du Roy

Game I want to win:
1. Battles of Westeros

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Y
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games I'd love to see reviewed:

2. Era of Inventions
3. Merkator

Game I'd love to win:
Battles of Westeros

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Siple
United States
Eagle River
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2. Merkator
3. Grand Cru

Game I want to win:
1. Defenders of the Realm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Merkator
2. Grand Cru (Wooden Box Edition)
3. London

Game I want to win:
1. Norenberc

After your video, it's been made a 1 - Must Have. Thanks for the info. NOW... I need to know more about Troyes and Merkator

thanks

Jugg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grue
United States
SF East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Civilization
2. Grand Cru
3. Mousquetaires du Roy

Game I want to win:

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Foerster
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games I'd like to see reviewed:

1. Merkator
2. London
3. Grand Cru

Game I'd like to win:

Norenberc

Thanks, your videos are great, and this is very generous of you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaniris Arif
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Another contest! This is huge, Jeremy, your generosity that is

Games I would like to see reviewed:
- Dakota
- Grand Cru
- Era of Inventions

Game I would love to win:
-Norenberc

Also, if you ever get the chance, would you please consider doing a review of Troyes (maybe borrow it from a friend) you do a superb job on all your reviews, thanks!

Good luck everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morriss
England
Loughton
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. London
3. Era of Inventions

Game I want to win:
1. Inca Empire

I've already watched your Inca Empire video - it helped me really want the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.R. Shoenberger
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Games I want to see reviewed:
1. Merkator
2. Era of Inventions
3. Dakota

Game I want to win:
Inca Empire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
.. fan
badge
I say: Bow Chicka Bow Bow...
mbmbmbmbmb
EverRavenSky wrote:
Yay! Another contest! This is huge, Jeremy, your generosity that is

Games I would like to see reviewed:
- Dakota
- Grand Cru
- Era of Inventions

-Norenberc

Also, if you ever get the chance, would you please consider doing a review of Troyes (maybe borrow it from a friend) you do a superb job on all your reviews, thanks!

Good luck everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Festus
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Era of Inventions
2. Dakota
3. Mousquetaires du Roy

Game I want to win:

Thanks for doing this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Arbuckle
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Civilization
2. Dakota
3. London

Game I want to win:
1. Norenberc (Beerples? Sold.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Charney
United States
Saint Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2. Dakota
3. Merkator

Game I really, really want to win:
1. Inca Empire

Thanks a lot...very generous of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Baughman
United States
Moses Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games that I would love to see reviewed are:
1. London
3. Grand Cru

The game that I would love to win is:
Defenders of the Realm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2. Era of Inventions
3. Grand Cru

Game I want to win:
1. Norenberc

Thanks for yet another opportunity to win! I played the Betrayal that I won 3 times now, and I can't believe I was going to pass it up for having games that were "similar". And although I already had Castle Ravenloft, my FLGS is letting me trade the new one in for a new copy of Cyclades that I've wanted forever (thanks in part to your video). So even if I never win again, you've already given me many hours of gaming! Doesn't mean I won't keep trying though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ross
United States
Winfield
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sid Meier's Civilization
Dakota
Era of Inventions

Game I would love to see in my mailbox:
Defenders of the Realm

Pat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onion Knight
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1.London
2.Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game
3.Mousquetaires du Roy

The Game I want to win:
Defenders of the Realm

Thanks again for the great reviews and the generous contests!
I am going to leave my comment on the Martinique video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sid Meier's Civilization
Era of Inventions
Mousquetaires du Roy

Inca Empire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.