Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1. Keep your back row (King's row) full for as long as possible. This will both prevent your opponent from getting "crowned" and hold valuable reserves for the end game.

2. Control the sides of the board. Checkers that are placed on the sides of the board cannot be directly taken. They are able to exert pressure from a "safe" square. This is a good way to conserve your forces for the end game.

3. Use possession of the side squares as an anchor for defending your pieces in the middle.

4. Use the "forced jump" by sacrificing one of your checkers in order to create an opening for a multiple jump counterattack. This requires preparation and careful positioning before springing the trap.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Rosenau
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is reasonable advice for the stage right after learning the rules. At higher levels, however, placing Checkers on the edge is compared to boxing with one arm only. If you want to progress, try the texts here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much! I will indeed take a look. It was kind of you to point them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Polaris
United States
New York
flag msg tools
... Honestly, most of this isn't very good. You should probably learn the game before advising people on it.

Sticking pieces to the side is the most common amateur mistake. It's also why amateurs lose 90% of their games online against a halfway decent player. A piece on the side might not be jumpable, but it's also not playable. It can't move anywhere, it's not preventing any opponent's piece from moving anywhere, and until you can use it to make a shot, it might as well not even be on the board. Center control is vital to any decent game.

What you describe as "capturing several pieces in exchange for one" is called a shot, and it is the most basic aspect of checkers strategy. Shots are important to having a rudimentary understanding of opening and midgame play, and occasionally to endgame.

There are many other aspects of checkers strategy to consider. Avoiding "breeches" with your kings in the endgame. Playing from the single rather than double corner. Avoiding complex sacrifice-shot combos. Who has "the move" in situations where nobody can reach the double corner. And that's not even getting into the complex stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. What else can I say to that except...when are you posting your strategy tips for Checkers APolaris?

I'm sure we would all like to read them.

I would like to hear your sage advice as well, Patrick Caroll.

It's wide open here. So far, my poor offering is ALL THERE IS under the strategy thread for Checkers. So, get busy folks. You can do better, so do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.