Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, I recently decided to check out isotropic to see what it's all about. I usually don't like to play 2 player games, but online that seems to be the most common. I was invited to play a game with this setup:

Bishop, Chancellor, Chapel, Counting House, Masquerade, Monument, Saboteur, Sea Hag, Shanty Town, and Steward.

I'm a sucker for the chancellor so I open with it. I also have loved the bishop in my prosperity setups so far, so I bought that as my second buy. I immediately realized this wasn't a good choice as I would probably never really see my bishop, and this ended up being the case. My opponent opened bishop/silver. I was able to get to some golds with my chancellor and after I bought my first province my opponent started hitting the saboteurs. I fairly quickly lost my province into a gold due to a saboteur play.

At this point my deck is pretty decent for buying provinces, but my opponent, due to heavy bishops, monuments and shanty towns has a 20 point vp token advantage on me. That along with the 3+ saboteurs he had I realized that going for the provinces wasn't going to help me. I'd probably lose some to the saboteur and he was going to make me buy them myself and just rack up the vp tokens to win the game.

I recalled a tactic a guy in my work gaming group tried out one day and decided it was my only chance to pull this one out. So, trashing off his bishops, not replacing sabotaged cards and using my own bishop I got my deck down to a bishop, 2 gold, a silver and a province. My opponent kept playing his saboteurs off his shanty towns, mostly so he could draw off his next shanty town play, but he must have been trying to figure out what I'd do next with a 5 card deck. He just happily continued to get points off his bishops and now more frequent monuments.

With my deck ready I proceeded to bishop off the province for a total of 5 points, and then buy back the province. I did this until there were only 2 provinces left. I knew his deck couldn't get a province buy, so I wasn't too worried. I left it at 2 in case he did get a miracle hand and I'd be able to just buy the last one. Then I used the bishop on a gold for 4 total points and bought back the gold. I kept doing this and thought he would figure it out soon and try to end the game. I also was fighting a bit of an uphill battle since he was still generating points of his own. He proceeded to drain two stacks as well as hitting the duchies. He finally got the duchies down to the last one and at this point I had a 20 point vp token lead which I figured should be good enough to cover his 6 duchies. So I purchased outright a province, figuring he'd just buy the last duchy on his next turn. I was also hoping that he wouldn't get one of his saboteurs. To my surprise he didn't get a saboteur and he didn't have enough cash to buy the last duchy. I also had my normal hand, with a single province in my draw pile, and proceeded to bishop off the province and bought the last one to end the game. Okay, I realize now I should have just bought the last one for a 1 point gain, but oh well. Here is how it turned out.

The game is over! (All Provinces are gone.)
You have 91 points (79 ▼ and 2 Provinces) and took 41 turns.
jonah has 81 points (54 ▼, 6 Duchies, a Province, and 3 Estates) and took 41 turns.

There were definite mistakes on both our parts, and I didn't think I'd be able to pull it off. However, it was fun to be able to completely change my strategy, setup my deck, and pull off a great come from behind win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
That's very cool, and I wouldn't have thought of it in a million years....you know, I thought I was pretty good at Dominion when there were 25 cards, but the more the game grows the more I feel like I have a lot to learn. Pretty cool when a game that I've played 600 times keeps sucking me in for more!

This does beg the question, though--if you had been on the other side of the equation, what would you have done to try to hang on? Trash the saboteurs and race for Provinces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From the other side it is just a matter of recognizing it fast enough. He had the lead pretty much up until the last few hands. If he had realized sooner he could have burned through piles faster. I think part of it comes down to needing to find your own way to end the game. Sometimes people get powerful decks and have the attitude that they'll just keep pounding the points and then let their opponent find a way to end the game just to stop the bleeding. This works in mst cases, but it's always good to set yourself up so that you can easily end the game yourself quickly if you need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Johnson
msg tools
mb
monkeyboy157 wrote:
Okay, I realize now I should have just bought the last one for a 1 point gain, but oh well.

I actually did the exact same thing when I found myself in your position. I was bishoping my province every turn and just instinctively did it on the last one and I was like "wait... that was totally uneccesary!" Still won though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew from the title that this was going to be a Bishop/Chapel story. One of my regular opponents on the Isotropic site LOVES doing this.

I only see one card in this setup that could've beat the Bishop/Chapel strategy: the Masquerade. If I was playing this setup, I would've bought a Masquerade first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TrojH wrote:
I knew from the title that this was going to be a Bishop/Chapel story. One of my regular opponents on the Isotropic site LOVES doing this.

I only see one card in this setup that could've beat the Bishop/Chapel strategy: the Masquerade. If I was playing this setup, I would've bought a Masquerade first.

Masquerade isn't that painful. You only need 4 cards to make it work, the fifth card is just fluff. It's nice to make it a province so you can get that extra point from the bishop, and to help you control the end game a little better, but it could have been anything. If he had bought a masquerade I would have kept something relatively worthless sitting around, and then on every masquerade I'd just pass whatever I got passed the time before.

Also, part of the point of the post is that I wasn't really going for the strategy up front. It wasn't until he started hitting me with saboteurs that I switched. I have seen this before and it hasn't been fast enough with the other 3+ players draining the provinces, so I didn't really think about it. However I have realized it can be very powerful in a 2 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
I SEE YOU!
mbmbmbmbmb
Militia+Saboteur may destroy this approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
Militia+Saboteur may destroy this approach.

I agree, there are several things that would break it, but nothing in the setup we had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Die Scholle
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great article! I really enjoyed reading about your strategy and the reasoning which led to it. And it's so nice to see a Dominion session report which for once isn't just a ctrl-c, ctrl-v from Isotropic + "oh, look, I won!" job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.