BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming

Subject: Reiner Knizia's Lost Cities Solo is live on Facebook! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chairman Moo
United States
California
flag msg tools
San Francisco, CA – Zabu Studio, Inc., a social gaming company, has partnered with Reiner Knizia to release a new line of games designed exclusively for the Facebook platform. The first title is a solo version of “Lost Cities”, the award winning card game originally designed by Knizia in 1999.

The Facebook version on “Lost Cities Solo” will be available to Facebook users for free (http://apps.facebook.com/lost-cities-solo/), and is available now.

“Lost Cities” is often noted as the best two player game in its genre. “Lost Cities Solo” on Facebook, preserves much of the strategy and tactics of the original game, but adapts the game play from player versus player to player versus system. The player has to make agonizing decisions about whether to commit to an expedition among unknown lands with incomplete information.

Players earn “gems” by completing stages of the” Lost Cities Solo” game. Gems earned may be used in any of Zabu Studio’s stable of games to purchase useful powerups and items to improve a user’s gaming experience. All Zabu games also contain the social elements that are indispensable in today’s Facebook games; including, the ability to compare all time high scores and weekly high scores against friends, inviting friends to share the joy, earning achievement badges, or earning experience points and gaining levels to earn free items.

Quote:
We are really excited to bring this classic Eurogame to Facebook users, and to turn a traditional card game into an engaging, interactive experience. So many people grew up playing “Lost Cities”, and now is there chance to reengage with one of their fondest gaming experiences in a whole new way.
said Milton Soong, CEO, Zabu Studio, Inc.

Quote:
Seeing my original card game come to life in the social gaming format is a thrill. The team at Zabu really understood how to capture the excitement and competitive spirit of the original game, while incorporating all the best practices in today's social games.
said Reiner Knizia.

“Lost Cities Solo” is the first of many elegant Facebook casual games from Zabu Studio, Inc. Upcoming titles include, Knizia’s “Ra Solo”, “Pickomino Solo”, Peter Burley’s “Take it Easy”, and many more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony T
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I don't like is the "energy to play". I dropped it from wherever it was to 18 in like 10 minutes... I've already killed it from Facebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see anything when I go to the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chairman Moo
United States
California
flag msg tools
Quote:
he only thing I don't like is the "energy to play". I dropped it from wherever it was to 18 in like 10 minutes... I've already killed it from Facebook.

The energy recharges hourly so if you come back the next day you'll have a fresh 24 to play with again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chairman Moo
United States
California
flag msg tools
Quote:

That looks like a bug. What browser and systems are you using?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chairman wrote:
Quote:

You are probably blocking javascript from cloudfront.net - after reenabling it, a flash app appeared for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried it both in IE 8 and Google Chrome 7.0.517.44. I am on Windows XP SP3.

fateswanderer wrote:
chairman wrote:
Quote:

You are probably blocking javascript from cloudfront.net - after reenabling it, a flash app appeared for me.

That is a potential. I do have a large custom hosts file.

The app uses javascript from: d2gwqbicrmiixa.cloudfront.net. While I did have a mapping for a d3....cloudfront.net, I did not have a d2... mapping and I can manually request those *.js files.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chairman Moo
United States
California
flag msg tools
jearles wrote:
I've tried it both in IE 8 and Google Chrome 7.0.517.44. I am on Windows XP SP3.

Did you try what andrew P suggested? If still does not work please ping us at support@zabustudio.com and we'll look into it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see the lower bar with the Xs. The app seems wrongly sized on my computer. Thoughts?

A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
alexanderbanning wrote:
I can't see the lower bar with the Xs. The app seems wrongly sized on my computer. Thoughts?

A.

I had the bottom cut off a couple times, I just relaunched the app and it was fine.

I like the implementation so far, nicely done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to do this, but I am always hesitant to 'allow' things on my Facebook. Thoughts on this and this particular program?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
There doesn't seem to be an easy way to toggle back and forth between Classic and Basic mode. You have to reload the entire app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to be a little too easy, but I've only played the first 9 levels. If you get any of the handshake cards you should automatically put them down. Starting all five expeditions is rarely a good idea in the regular game, but here it's almost like getting free points!

I'm assuming it gets harder the further you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chairman Moo
United States
California
flag msg tools
jtakagi wrote:
Seems to be a little too easy, but I've only played the first 9 levels. If you get any of the handshake cards you should automatically put them down. Starting all five expeditions is rarely a good idea in the regular game, but here it's almost like getting free points!

I'm assuming it gets harder the further you go.

Your total score if the cumulative score of all successful "stages". So all it takes is a bad game to "end" your streak...

If the consensus is that the scoring criteria is too easy we can always tweak it to be harder :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Walker-Harding
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've really been enjoying the game! More quick and brainless than a 2 player game, but still scratches that Lost Cities itch!

I came across a funny bug though. If you are lucky enough to get a full set of a colour up to 9 (* * * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9), the 9 card is so low down in the row that it obscures the play button! In my case, this prevented me from playing the yellow 10 to complete my set. Still, I had to laugh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chairman Moo
United States
California
flag msg tools
Phil81 wrote:
I've really been enjoying the game! More quick and brainless than a 2 player game, but still scratches that Lost Cities itch!

I came across a funny bug though. If you are lucky enough to get a full set of a colour up to 9 (* * * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9), the 9 card is so low down in the row that it obscures the play button! In my case, this prevented me from playing the yellow 10 to complete my set. Still, I had to laugh!

Oops, will get added to the front of the bug queue! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chairman Moo
United States
California
flag msg tools
JohnnyDollar wrote:
There doesn't seem to be an easy way to toggle back and forth between Classic and Basic mode. You have to reload the entire app.

We are adding a button that'll let you return to the main splash screen. Coming soon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Jacobs
Belgium
flag msg tools
I don't ever have the bottom =S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chairman wrote:
ping us at support@zabustudio.com and we'll look into it...

When I first read this, I thought someone had "discovered" the app on facebook.

But you're part of the company and this is really a press release, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This solo game is crap and very easy to exploit. Just pick one color and discard every other color. No skill or strategy at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magrot wrote:
This solo game is crap and very easy to exploit. Just pick one color and discard every other color. No skill or strategy at all.

Sorry to tell you (unless you were just trolling in which case you already know) but that doesn't work, out of curiosity I tried it just now: won the first goal (stage 5) but lost the next one (stage 6)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Works for me everytime. Infact in one game I had more than 3 times the minimum requirement doing it this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
alexanderbanning wrote:

A.

Ah, so that's what happened to me as well! When it got to the part of the tutorial where it told me to discard a card, I spent like 5 minutes clicking on everything trying to figure out how the heck to discard! However, no matter how many times I reload it, I don't have the discard symbols.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magrot wrote:
Works for me everytime. Infact in one game I had more than 3 times the minimum requirement doing it this way.

Up to what stage did you try this? I think the earlier stages are easier hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does work. Just made it to stage 8 with more than enough extra points. Could have kept going even more but I ran out of electric lighting stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.