Norway
flag msg tools
Sample comments in the Android App store for various Checkers apps:

rad 9/17/2010
Purely idiotic ... it obligates u to attack when u want to play defensively

Dominic 10/5/2010
Rubbish you don't choose your move half of the time pointless don't download

Andrew 10/8/2010
Not being funny, but why can't I move the piece I (YES ME) want to move instead of being told the only pieces I can move. Crappy game, uninstalled, 1*

sara 10/24/2010
It forces you to capture. It allows for no fun. only those who are uncivilized and barbaric with no tact will enjoy this game.

raffaele 7/25/2010
Another checkers app that force captures. When will they learn. Purchased and removed. Rubbish.

bakari 10/16/2010
It sucks you have to capture uninstall and delete waist of time

Amber 7/9/2010
dont like this game at all. BC it will not let you move if you can up one even if you dont want 2 make that move!

Tim 10/18/2010
Best checker game on the market this one doesn't force jumps. Difficulty is ok I beat the hardest lvl on my first try though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The one and only (but one of two in BGG)
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games are not movies or stories; they're vehicles for creative decision making.
badge
"Desire makes everything blossom; possession makes everything wither and fade." (Marcel Proust)
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsk tsk.
shake

Sadly, I've heard the same comments IRL all too often. Every time I teach someone the game (or remind someone how it's played), I have to deal with that remark and gently correct the misconception.

Next time, I plan to start by setting up a problem where the newcomer can win by choosing the right move. That right move will involve a sacrifice, of course. And it ought to make the player see how cool it is to be able to force the opponent to make certain moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mb
Those comments remind me of the all-too-true xkcd comic http://xkcd.com/202/ ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Same kind of ratings here on BGG, sadly.

I call BS on anyone who rated Checkers under a 2.

Almost all "1" comments are:

"I hate this game"

"This game is boring"

and

"Solved" (like that matters, good luck with memorizing all solutions)

'1' is supposed to mean the game is broken, which Checkers clearly is not. '2' ('extremely annoying game, won't play this again) is where the level of 'I hate this game' comes in.

Ah well. People too lazy to play checkers (boooring!) probably are too lazy to read the bgg ratings system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes the whole Monopoly thing with no auctions and free parking money that breaks the game look like nothing in comparison.

I've played games of checkers without being forced to capture. It's a dull game. There's a reason you can force an opponent to move, it's what adds much of the strategy to the game.

Clearly the game gets poor ratings because people don't actually know how to play but are sure that they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Polaris
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Judging by most of the posts on the other threads, checkers gets no love on this site for one reason: because nobody here knows even the first thing about playing it. Nobody would love chess if they thought trading queens for rooks, never using the castling move, and trying to achieve checkmate with their king was all they needed to "know" about it. And for perspective, that's actually a very good analogy to what "jumps shouldn't be required, going to the sides is a good strategy, and it's easier than chess" is for checkers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lack of theme.

I had about 9 paragraphs supporting that statement, delving into ancient games like The Royal Game of Ur and Senet to more modern games like Monopoly. I discussed Chess history and its re-themeing, etc.

Then, the BGG server glitched and it all vanished. I'm not typing it all again. I'm so frustrated with that happening all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
APolaris wrote:
Judging by most of the posts on the other threads, checkers gets no love on this site for one reason: because nobody here knows even the first thing about playing it. Nobody would love chess if they thought trading queens for rooks, never using the castling move, and trying to achieve checkmate with their king was all they needed to "know" about it. And for perspective, that's actually a very good analogy to what "jumps shouldn't be required, going to the sides is a good strategy, and it's easier than chess" is for checkers.

Why don't you offer some strategy tips in the Checkers Forum? There is a whole thread dedicated to that.

So far, I am the only one that bothered to even try and you jumped on my meager "contribution" with both feet.

I challenged you there and I'll challenge you again...

Submit your sage advice for all to read. Put your strategies and tactics on the Strategy Forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Complete & Sufficient Statistician
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Checkers is one of the most underrated games on the Geek.

Forced captures make this game. Without forced captures, the game deserves its low rating. Players who hate the idea of forced captures should give it a try.

The first move advantage is smaller than in many other abstract board games.

The fact that it is solved by computers is irrelevant. Are you a computer, or are you a human with very limited memory?

Between experts, play is very patterned. Often two experts will play the same exact game over and over again. However...

1. Most of us aren't experts.
2. The three-move restriction, common to tournaments, largely fixes this problem.

Frequent draws can be a problem, and that's my only real complaint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Anonymous
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I think it is fair if people don't like the game. That is their right. What I find amazing is the number of people who seem to implicitly insult those who do like to play checkers.

Amongst the other weird comments already noted in this thread is the one where someone complained that perfect play leads to a draw, therefore it is broken. As far as I can see, in any two person game, there is only two possible results, a forced win by one player or a forced draw. Of the two, the forced draw suggests a better balanced game.

Also, find it interesting that quite a few people who gave it 2's and 3's then give comments that make it seem like it is a 4...

I am rubbish at checkers so far, but recently downloaded an app for my smartphone and am learning to appreciate this game. I agree it is under rated... by a wide margin. I am still thinking about it, but I would say 6 is the absolute minimum rating I would give it and probably a seven.

--
Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.