fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mbmbmbmbmb
About 6 months ago I suffered back to back defeats in the Bunker Hill scenario... TO A GIRL! This stuck in my craw for not less than every time afterward that I would think about this game. So this evening CfaC was hauled back out (for the 1st time since "the incident"), and once again THE GIRL and myself matched wits in ye olde Battle Of Bunker (or Breed's, if you're a stickler for accuracy) Hill.

So she's the Americans, and I'm the British (same positions we were in when I suffered my 2 ignominious back-to-back defeats.) Starts off innocently enough, the British have to approach the American forces who occupy the hilltops. I decide my best shot is to target the American militia at I4, hopefully with one of my Elite infantry and one regular infantry. This takes a few turns, but ultimately works, and I finally have a unit on the hill! It's a bit dicey however, as she can now unload from both adjacent hilltops, with no terrain penalties.

I weather the storm well enough, but then encounter what I believe to be the 2nd half of the equation for the Brits in this scenario: how best to keep the battle raging on the hill whilst still bringing up troops from the rear to solidify your forces. I concentrated on the battles, and I believe this was to my detriment. VP's were followed closely by VP's for the opposite side. I had more ready (and qualitatively superior) troops to the rear, but had spent so many Action Points hacking and slashing that I wasn't getting them to the action in good time.

I finally pour enough Redcoats up the hills to have my presence felt, but their smaller numeric presence makes them easy targets for multiple angle attacks. I need reinforcements, but don't have the AP's to get them here quick enough. I decide to move up the Light Infantry from the flanks to engage in close combat, which I am fortunately able to pull off, with the final VP coming when my Light Infantry takes out an American artillery piece for the final British VP. And it concludes a very close 7 to 5.

IMHO the British have an uphill battle (get it?!) here which I'm not sure is warranted. American forces can simply hold ground & maneuver forces slightly to attack the weakest Redcoats among them. You, as Howe, need to break through enough to capture the hills, as well as continue to bring troops up, without causing troop movements to end up as one constant meat grinder. Realizing the British did indeed lose a fair amount of troops at the Hill, I can see creating a bit of a tough slog for them, but perhaps the troops held in reserve could be somewhat more closely aligned with their frontline counterparts.

At any rate, i love this game. And my manhood has returned to me! Long live my manhood!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I agree on both counts:

1- Bunker Hill (really Breed's Hill) is a tough one for the Brits.

2- Clash for a Continent/Hold the Line is a fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.