Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Diane H
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Allright, this game here doesn't seem to have too many big supporters. It was a game I bought as a Christmas present for a 4 year old, and before I knew anything about games outside of Toys R Us. Please forgive me that, I am wiser now. And poorer.

If you expect a marvelous game to keep YOU entertained, then you will be disappointed, and if you think you should play this quietly sitting at a table, it won't work. You have to get into it, count out loudly as the button by Daddy's bed is being pushed, and then shout out when he 'wakes up'. By gosh, then it becomes fun.

I have to say the game is actually made pretty decently. The flat board is about the same size and quality of the standard Candyland or Chutes and Ladders board. It has 20 numbered and colored spaces that run along the perimeter of the board, with a space in the center of the board to put the big plastic Daddy in his bed piece. And I have to admit they made the Daddy in the bed nicely too. It has been working without problems for me. It doesn't appear flimsy or cheap.

The object of this delightful game is for a player to move their little person token from start to finish without waking up the Daddy. The board has 20 spaces, all either red, blue, green or yellow. 16 of those spaces have a picture on them with a number. The remaining four spaces are a single color with no picture and are considered safe spaces. There are also 16 playing cards to match the spaces with pictures. These playing cards are dealt out evenly to the players. So when 3 people play , they each get 5 cards and the extra card is set aside to indicate another safe space. Now for movement there is a spinner with 5 spaces around it, a yellow space, red space, green, blue and a star space. Say the first player spins the spinner and it stops on yellow. They then move their token to the first yellow spot on the board. That happens to be a baby in a crib with the number 4 on it. That player then checks to see if that same picture card was dealt to them. Note, you don't have to hold the cards in your hand, they can be laid out in front of you as it doesn't matter if the other players see them.
Now, if you have the same matching card to the space you are on, you are safe and don't have to see if Daddy will wake up. It is then the next players turn.
But if someone else has that card, you then have to push the button down on Daddy's bed 4 times (the number that is printed on the space). If Daddy pops up, you woke him up and go back to start...but you also collect the matching card from the player who had it so if you land on that space again, you are safe. If Daddy stays sleeping, you stay on that same spot and the next player goes.
The star space on the spinner gives hope to those far behind, if your spinner stops on the star, you move your player one space in front of the leader token. If you are already the leader, you just spin again.

That is pretty much how the game progresses until somebody makes it to the end, where there is a picture of an open refrigerator.

To be honest, I would much rather play this game than Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, or Memory. For the $8 it cost at the time, it is well made, although they were chintzy on the moving tokens. Those consist of cards (picturing little boys or girls) that you stick in a holder and they are just too big in my opinion. Little plastic movers would have been just fine, but I could switch those out on my own if I were so inclined.

I babysit an 8 and an 11 year old boy frequently and they have happily played this game with the 4 year old. Can you consider it a teaching tool?? To a small extent, my 4 year old did/does have problems getting the colors right for some reason, so I make her tell me the color she spins, and I have tried to get her to tell me the number printed on the board spaces. They range from a 2 to an 8. It helps to reinforce what she knows, but won't be the sole teaching tool. If your kids startle easy and don't like loud noises, then I would skip this, the Daddy popping up can make them a bit jumpy. But we play it loud (and quickly) so it isn't painful for anyone. I have recently purchased the Gulo Gulo game and Dawn Under, and those are great for young kids....but do cost 3 to 4 times as much. I would say my daughter enjoys this game just as much as those other ones.
If you can get this at Toys R Us during one of their sales, or buy 1 get 1 free deals, I don't think you can go wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D'Andrea
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a decent review of the game. Honesty here on the Geek is rare. I really enjoy the adults rating these games 1's and 2's because they forgot what it was like to be a kid. I for one would buy most of the kids games at TrU on a BOGO sale then spend 4 times as much on a trendy game. My kids are under 4 so this will hold their interest for a couple of minutes. I have found the best game for the under 4 crowd is Cranium Caraboo. A MUST have for children
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girls started to play Catan and Carcassonne when they were 5 and 7, and did quite well at it. Snakes and ladders and games like don't wake daddy really have a small window: 3-5 years. No reason to continue to torture yourself after your kids hit 5!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.