United States
Clayton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Squadron cards:

Weather cards:

Edit #2:

Thanks to Flogiston, I now have the text for the Weather cards as well. See above for the newly created card prototypes.

----

I recently picked up a full set of planes (minus Black Swans) off of eBay. In reading about the game online, I found references to a set of 55 promo cards that were released on a limited basis. Apparently, these included 16 game-affecting cards, including Squadron Abilities, Weather Effects, and Scenarios.

Seeing as how the game is long out of print, and that these cards are quite rare, I was wondering if anyone who has these would be willing to post up the rules text for the Squadron and Weather cards.

Thanks in advance!

----

Update #1: After scouring the web for information, I have managed to piece together the original 6 squadron ability cards. I couldn't get the original text for all of them and I didn't like the templating on the ones I could find, so I redid the wording to make the cards more readable.

Here are some quick mockups:

These will be getting a major graphical overhaul soon, but I thought I would share the text as soon as possible.

I have also found the names of all the weather cards, but I still haven't found the effects for all of them:

1. Clear Skies
2. Snowstorm
3. Cold Snap
4. Hailstorm
5. Heat Wave
6. Heavy Winds
7. Gusting Winds
8. Brewing Storm
9. Full Moon
10. Cloudy Night

----

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Jimmy
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weather Cards
Yeah, I'm a huge fan/geek when it comes to Crimson Skies, so I have the full set of cards. Here are the weather card texts. I got sick of writing (sic), so just know that most (hopefully all) of the errors come from the cards themselves.

Cloudy Night (Dark)
Night like this make me wish I stayed on the ground.
It's dar, and you can't see anything through the clouds. Reduce all plane's range values to 3, and increase all plane's silhouette by 1, to a maximum of 6.

Snowstorm (Cold)
Even Santa Claus can't see tonight, but that won't stop us from flying.
It's hard to see your opponents, and shooting them at night means running into them! During the Snowstorm, all planes have a maximum range value of 2.

Heavy Winds (Wind)
Just be glad you aren't in a zep, kiddo.
Before the game begins, the player revealing Heavy Winds chooses one side of the map. This is the direction in which the winds are blowing. During the game, after a plane finishes its movement and before the plane takes a shot, the plane's final movement marker shifts one marker towards this direction, as the winds push the planes.
Wind cards cancel the effects of cloud cards.

Heat Wave (Heat)
Be sure to pack a beach towel-you'll need it after bailing out.
It's so hot you're sticking to your seat, and your ammo is becoming unreliable. After taking a shot, roll a pilot check. If the check fails, your plane takes 1 click of damage from an ammo explosion.
Heat cards cancel the effects of cold cards.

Hailstorm (Cold)
I've seen worse, but not much worse.
There's nothing like a good dogfight in the middle of the worst weather imaginable. After each plane completes its movement, the pilot must make a pilot check. If the check fails, the plane takes 1 click of damage from the ice and wind.

Gusting Winds (Wind)
Even old Rickenbacker isn't crazy enough to go out in this weather. Good thing we're not old Rickenbacker.
Before the game begins, the player revealing Gusting Winds chooses one side of the map. This is the direction in which the winds are blowing. During the game, after a plane finishes its movement and before the plane takes a shot, roll one die. On a result of 1, 2, or 3, the Wind Shift is 1. On a result of 4 or 5, the Wind Shift is 2. On a result of 6, the Wind Shift is 3. The plane's final movement marker shifts a number of movement markers towards the wind direction equal to the Wind Shift.
Wind cards cancel the effects of Cloud cards.

Full Moon (Light)
If it were any easier, it wouldn't be fun
The full moon's reflection makes you and your enemies practically glow. Reduce all planes' silhouette values by 2, to a minimum of 2.
Light cards cancel the effects of Dark cards.

Cold Snap (Cold)
Be careful, kid-the ice on your wings will kill you just as quick as a bullet.
It's cold and moist, but you've got to fly anyway. Each plane's maximum speed is reduced by 1.

Clear Skies
You can't ask for better flying weather, ace.
When revealed, Clear Skies cancels the effects of all other weather effect cards.

Brewing Storm (Clouds)
I've seen skies that ugly once. When I was in the middle of a tornado.
Aside from the title, flavor text, and the last line about wind cards canceling cloud cards, this card has the same description as Gusting Winds--even so far as to say "...the player revealing Gusting winds..."

At the bottom of each of the weather cards are the instructions for their use:

Use weather effect cards during the Air Action Game. Each player may use only one weather effect card per game. Weather effect cards must be revealed prior to squad deployment. If more than one player chooses to reveal a weather effect card, reveal all cards simultaneously. The results of weather effect cards combine unless otherwise specified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Munilla
United States
Clayton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a bunch! These have been practically impossible to find online! I am a pretty big CS fan as well, I missed out on the whole WizKids game mostly because I was an undergrad at the time and didn't have the spare cash. I just recently was reminded about it and decided to give it a try. Too bad that, like most WizKids lines, it didn't last long.

Flogiston wrote:

Aside from the title, flavor text, and the last line about wind cards canceling cloud cards, this card has the same description as Gusting Winds--even so far as to say "...the player revealing Gusting winds..."

So essentially, this card was misprinted? Was there ever a correction to give the real text or can I just assume that there are really only 9 weather cards?

Also, since you have the cards, can you vouch for the accuracy of my squadron ability cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Jimmy
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your squadron cards are right on.

Regarding Brewing Storm: even if it is misprinted, I think that the gusting winds effect is somewhat appropriate for the flavor text, and the two cards still differ in that one is a wind card and the other a cloud card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Father
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Promo Cards Text in PDF format
Is there anyone with enough computer experience to convert these to a PDF format ? And in the right size and upload them in the files section?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.