Party Games» Forums » General

Subject: Two-player party game: Does such a thing exist? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jessica Monroe
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
While I cannot remember the name to save my life right now (perhaps because the game was most-often played with a great deal of party "spirits") I seem to remember two-player drinking games. Perhaps someone can fill in the blanks. It's been a few years since I played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Dickey
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The Go Hunt card game is a good fit for two players, it also has drinking variants. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
Games that I consider "Party Games" that my wife and I have played:
- Scattergories
- Word on the Street
Although both are much more fun with a large group of people, or a "party" if you will...

my BFF & I play Word on the Street.
it's cutthroat and there is laughing.

we play a lot of Scrabble, too. You can up the fun quotient by having temporary house rules: on a cruise, any word relating to the cruise gets a 10pt bonus, tonight let's play food words are bonus, etc.

Of course, our geeky idea of fun is to playtest each other's prototypes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
mwindsor wrote:
Quote:
Are there any games that have these other characteristics of party games, but either work well or are specifically designed for two players? Do you think such a game design is even possible?

Yes, and they are listed under "Adult" or "Couples" online. devil

Maybe I'm just old and out of touch, but I thought this game was OOP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
It has already been said several times, but Cranium Hoopla is my recommendation. It's a lot easier to laugh when both of you are on the same team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contigo
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally define a party game as one which doesn't work well with few players, scales up well with large numbers of players, and is easy to teach. For example, Dixit and Two Rooms and a Boom are common examples. Adding players to Dixit has much less impact than adding players to Dominion.

So to me, a two player party game doesn't exist, but there are variants of party games you can play with two people. For example, some prefer to play Bang with just Outlaw versus Sheriff. [Bang has more rules than most party games, but it's close enough.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Mazza
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"What Am I Thinking?" is an improv game where 2 people think of a word(or thing, it doesn't have to be a single word), then on the count of 3 say their word. They then try to think of a word that falls exactly in between the 2 words that were said. This continues until you both say the same word. They've played it a lot on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB-OVZmo7Do
(slightly NSFW)
My girlfriend and I will play a bunch of times in a row. Its a lot of fun when the word you end on is completely unrelated to the words you started with. You could start with "carrot" and "the declaration of independance" and end on "blue whale." always exciting. We always play that you can't say the same word twice, but CBB does it differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.