Popular Tags: [View All]
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
Ed_the_Red wrote:
Or why not call it mid-March to Mid-April (or something similar)?

That isn't very catchy though.

Nor any more clear. I say keep it simple: april auctions start AND end in april.. may ones starts AND ends in may.. etc. If it's close to the end of the month, and you want a bit more time for your item, then just wait till the next month and post it there. If the lists for the next month is up a couple of days before the month starts, there really shouldn't be any problems at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not catchy, but provides enough information to satify all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to agree with Gawain.

Starts in May, end in May.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne Henriksson
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Gawain and leaxe. That would be easy to understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Williams
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
Ready Player One....
mbmbmbmbmb
leaxe wrote:

This makes the most sense for me as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PowerTrader wrote:
leaxe wrote:

This makes the most sense for me as well.

Lots of you seem to like that. It does mean that the start will be the same time that the maths trades start, which means that we'll be competing with the maths trades for people wanting to get rid of stuff. That was my reasoning for the original timing, which was starting around the 20th of the month after the maths trades are all tied up, leaving lots of time for week long auctions before the next maths trades start up.

Having watched the last few auctions it has been a case of a huge load of stuff being added in the first couple of days the list is up and then almost nothing for the rest of the month. I don't think this is to do with the name of the list not being the same as the month we are in. I think its very much a case of how BGG/the internet works - everything is immediate and once a geeklist disappears from the list then only the people with vested interests (in this case the people bidding and the people selling) pay any attention to it.

Thats also the reason why I don't think an ongoing list will work - the list will grind on in the background, but few new people will find it. Also I think a new list each month is a good prompt for people to list stuff for sale.

I think there is a lot to be gained from working in harmony with the maths trades as a lot of the same people auction games as do the maths trades. I'm not sure the benefit of starting and ending the auction lists in the same month as the list is named is big enough to make that change.

So I guess what I'm saying is that simple isn't necessarily best. I'm open to be convinced, but I'm not convinced yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or simply adding the date might work

e.g. "European Auction geeklist 20 April - 15 May"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep meaning to add stuff, but keep forgetting/don't have time to calculate postage, then it gets to the end of the month and I don't bother as the next math trade is only a few days away.

I think it is best have it name for the month it starts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Could I ask a simple question...

Does it really matter?

The only reason not to have a single auction geeklist is that it will soon become huge and unmanageable. Beyond that, why should anyone care whether you post your April 2nd auction on the March or April geeklist, as long as you state it clearly in the Geeklist item?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not even bother to click on a March auction link in April...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Grosskarlbach
Rhineland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
Phirax's Magical Box of Hot
badge
Keats and Yeats are on your side, but you lose... because Wilde is on mine.
mb
Tony,

First of all, thanks for taking the time to do all this, it is really great.

Quote:
I think its very much a case of how BGG/the internet works - everything is immediate

I agree that the auctions should be kept within the month that they are advertised. I also see the benefit of not having them directly compete with the math trades. Why not make the auction take place during the second half of the month? It seems that one or two weeks is more than enough for an auction - that is how it is usually done on ebay and other sites. People don't want to wait 3 weeks in this modern internet culture. Most of the bidding happens in two or three days anyway, then everyone is just waiting. Start the auction towards the end of the math trades window and let it run for the remainder of the month. Latecomers can list items up until the last day of the month and have the auction end within a week. If the items don't sell, they can jump right into the next math trade. Essentially, the math trades happen in the beginning of the month and the auctions happen in the second half, with a slight overlap. There is always something happening and people have a reason to check in regularly, much like they do on the major auction sites.

The simple point that I have taken too long to make is that the auction window can be smaller as the BGG/internet community expects immediacy. Use that fact to your advantage. Keep the May auction contained within May, the June auction within June. It is simple system that is easy to understand, and you gain rather than lose by making the window for auctions smaller and more immediate.

Phirax
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, its up now. Plenty of the month left and I went for the "(and early May)" addition to the title to confuse and confound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amparo
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony, I would like to know something, before I do something that isnt allowed, may already be published, but I haven't found anything about this...

Due to shipments from Spain are overly horrible for any country, soblue
there's the possibility of lowering the price of shipping with some geegold?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beatrix wrote:
Tony, I would like to know something, before I do something that isnt allowed, may already be published, but I haven't found anything about this...

Do you mean that the purchaser can pay geekgold instead of Euros? If so, no problem - just clearly set out your terms (exchange rates?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amparo
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
beatrix wrote:

Do you mean that the purchaser can pay geekgold instead of Euros? If so, no problem - just clearly set out your terms (exchange rates?).

yeah, right!
of course with the exchange rates explained

tx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup Great idea to use geekgold for cheaper postage. Would definitely make me more likely to bid on a game I'm interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amparo
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
thumbsup Great idea to use geekgold for cheaper postage. Would definitely make me more likely to bid on a game I'm interested in.

thanks Kathrin, I often feel helpless that the shipment will cost twice a game.

another thing I was thinking if the buyer is okay, a game that isn't sealed, it is cheaper to send the game split into 2 packages of less than 1 kg, ie a package of 1.2 kg, which costs the same as send a package of 2 kg! surprise

if someone wants to give me your opinion, thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've done that before too (was actually a game that was over 2kg). You can save a looot. Haven't seen anyone who has had a problem with it so far, especially since it means that big a saving in costs, costs they are paying for after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amparo
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
Yeah, I've done that before too (was actually a game that was over 2kg). You can save a looot. Haven't seen anyone who has had a problem with it so far, especially since it means that big a saving in costs, costs they are paying for after all.

good Tor! may ultimately be a solution
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
European Auction Geeklist: May (and early June)

Anyone in Europe can list items for sale, anyone anywhere can buy them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Anft
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With June nearly at an end, I was wondering if there is enough interest for another auction in the near future.

Many (if not most) of the auctions of the May and June list were unsold - therefore I merely ask if there is more interest in the near future... or if we should let it rest for a while.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
pidaysock wrote:
With June nearly at an end, I was wondering if there is enough interest for another auction in the near future.

Many (if not most) of the auctions of the May and June list were unsold - therefore I merely ask if there is more interest in the near future... or if we should let it rest for a while.

Happy gaming!

I prefer math trades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Taylor
United Kingdom
Cambridge
CAMBS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pidaysock wrote:

Happy gaming!

I've done ok this month, so I'm quite happy for the auctions to continue.

Besides, I'd rather my unused games went to somebody who will appreciate them rather than somebody trying to get something for nothing on Ebay.

Thanks go out to Tony for putting the European Auctions together (Just in case he agrees and decides to pull the plug!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Kevin 100%. Any set of negotiations like this are going to have upturns and downturns, and all we need to do is ride the currect trough.

It's a poor time in the game seller's calendar in any case (Essen is less than half a year away; people are saving money for summer holidays).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Williams
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
Ready Player One....
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely want to see the auctions continue. I have won items in the last couple and have some active bids in the auction this month.
I think the problem with items going unsold is the high start prices some sellers put on their auctions. Starting prices that are the same or higher than items in the BGG Marketplace makes no sense.

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.