Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Weeks
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of weeks ago I was getting ready to head out of town for on a three day business trip when my daughter came up to me and asked if I'd play a game with her. She's only 5 so the games we own which she can play are a bit limited and some of the ones she has played, Ticket to Ride for example, are played with special markers or cards showing so that we can help her. On this day she asked to one again play a train game. So I went to the shelf and pulled out TransAmerica instead of TTR. At first she was a bit hesitent but once I opened the board she remembered playing this one other time so it was all right.

Before the game started I let her choose out colors. Since there is no pink or purple she chose red and since there is no orange she gave me yellow. The cards were then placed in the middle of the board and mixed up like a go fish pile and we each took a card of each color.

I let her go first in the opening round and to make things easy on us I told her to pick a color and place her starting marker on that city. I then did the same so as not to confuse her. From there I told her to pick the closest city to her starting marker and place the track pieces on the lines to connect the two cities. From this point on everything seemed to go down hill for dad. She not only connected her first two cities but managed to connect all 5 before dad could and before I knew it I was already down by 4.

As you can see from the picture we started our second round with me on Cincinnati and her on Santa Fe. If I had to guess I'd say she was heading to Dallas but without seeing her cards I can't say for sure This round ended a little differently with dad completing all his connections. She still needed 5 more tracks to complete her's so dad was now in the lead.

In the third round things took a turn for the worse for dear ole dad. Before I knew what hit me she had completed all her connections and still had a long way to go. I was now down to 3 on the scoring track and if I didn't win the next round my game would likely be over.

As luck would have it the fourth round was again not good for dad. I was left needing 5 more track pieces to make my connections which meant my scoring marker was going to fall off the track.

In the end I may have lost but it was nice to see her finding the cities on her own and making the connections with little or no help from me. She really enjoys playing games right now and with some luck that enjoyment will carry into her later years. I know I enjoy spending the time with her and hopefully some day she'll remember these times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My guess (and hope) is that you will have many years of gaming ahead. We used to play games as a family until my daughters started high school - then the gaming pretty much died in our family, at least for my 2 daughters. However that leaves plenty of good years ahead for your family!

Al
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel alone. My daughter, then 8, now 9 has beat me every time we play Transamerica. We more recently have been playing Forbidden Island, which puts us working together for us both to win.

As for the other poster, regarding his high school age daughters, I have sons in high school and they too think playing board games with dad is now not cool. One of mygaming friends though assures me that they will return when they hit young adulthood, as his kids did. Don't give up hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.