Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » QLD (Brisbane)

Subject: AUSCON registrations open, anyone going? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Haar
Australia
Muswellbrook
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just stumbled across AUSCON through the old GENCON twitter. Looks interesting, I already booked myself a day pass. Anyone else going? Looks like they are running board games as well as the usual war gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Haar
Australia
Muswellbrook
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here is a link,

http://www.auscongames.com.au/

Its running 30th of April till 2nd of May at the RSNA show grounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Aspley
Queensland
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing on the site says "board games" to me, except one spot where it said the words "board games" with no further elaboration. It looks like it's being run by the sort of people who think that board games means Carcassonne and Guillotine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Haar
Australia
Muswellbrook
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah there is a little more elaboration on their Facebook page but you're right about the lack of board game specific events.

I had a blast at the GenCon open board game area in 09 and guess I'm really looking for something to scratch the same itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
Nothing on the site says "board games" to me, except one spot where it said the words "board games" with no further elaboration. It looks like it's being run by the sort of people who think that board games means Carcassonne and Guillotine.

In the words of Seinfeld: "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith done
Australia
brisbane
queensland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LXG has been approached to run the board game area at Auscon.

We will be running the same format as Gencon (ie running a selection of popular board game titles and bringing the LXG library for a social gaming area.

I will be finalising a board game tournament list this week for there web-site. please feel free to provide any suggestions you would like included.

Regards,

Keith Done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Aspley
Queensland
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, well that sounds more like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Carey
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi there

Allan here from AUSCON.

I have to say first a big thanks to Kieth and LXG for picking up and running with the Board Games that will be run at AUSCON this year.

We would like to say that AUSCOn fully supports the board games community and would love to see it thrive and be a big part of what AUSCON does not only this year but also in the future.

Both Mark and I play board games but we really don't have the experiance that Kieth and the people at LXG have which is exactly why we are looking to them to offer advice and run board games at AUSCON.

Although the weekend schedule doesn't currently show what will be happening in regards to board games this year yet, it will soon. As Kieth finalises what he wishes to see at AUSCON this year and we work out space and other logistical details we will add to the weekend schedule an everyone can take a good look at how serious we are about not only miniature wargames but the gaming community as a whole.

There is precious little happening in Australia and we want to change that.

So, I will now hand over to Kieth and just let him do his thing. In the mean time please keep an eye on the blog and the website. If you haven't joined us on Facebook or twitter yet then you are more than welcome to.

Over to you Kieth

All the best

Allan and Mark

www.auscongames.com.au
www.auscongames.com.au/blog

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith done
Australia
brisbane
queensland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The good people at Critical Mass should also get a mention for their expertise in the board gaming area. CM and LXG have a kind of symbiotic relationship with many members belonging to both associations.

People like John Farrell and Kevin O'Brien (to name a few) provided their expertise to the LXG area at Gencon and I hope they will be available for Auscon.

The games I have selected for tournament events are board games that LXG has multiple copies of (Ticket to Ride, Power Grid, Puerto Rico, Settlers etc)

LXG will also have a big selection of all its boardgames in the free board game Chill Out Zone.Hopefully Auscon will have these details up on its web-site soon.

Regards,

Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules McAleer
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you be running a Dominion or RFTG tournament? Zooloretto would be a good one for the kids...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Carey
Australia
flag msg tools
The schedule has been added to and updated

We will continue to update as more comes to light so please watch this space

Weekend Schdule and LXG Board Games can be found on this page
[url]
http://auscongames.com.au/blog/?page_id=390[/url]

All the best

Al

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith done
Australia
brisbane
queensland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

With regards to board game tournaments I have already provided Auscon with a selection of games for their web-site.

I am open to suggestions for some other games to run as tournaments but must make a cut off soon.I can include a Dominion Tournament and I will list a 12 and under triathalon of Zooleretto, Water Lily and Chicken Cha Cha Cha

At gencon we also ran a number of 'instant' small tournaments that got up and running on the day due to popular demand - i am sure we will be doing this at Auscon.

Regards,

Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules McAleer
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Keith! A Dominion tournament would be great, and my 5 year old would LOVE to join in on a kids comp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Eddy
Australia
flag msg tools
Hey All,

Only 8 weeks to go and things are really hotting up!

If you haven't booked your tickets now is the time, as we still have a few showbags available (free!) if you are one of the first 250 people to book in, plus we'll mail you your lanyards and passes to save you the queue on the day!

If you also have a favourite game you'd love to run or introduce others to, Sunday and Monday will be full of participation and demo games, so please feel free!

We'll be popping into the LXG meeting on the 20th of March to introduce ourselves, so if you have any questions, we'd love to hear them. cool

Cheers,
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Carey
Australia
flag msg tools
AUSCON, so close we can smell it

http://auscongames.com.au/blog/?p=706

Newsletter and some great info. Have a look and we look forward to seeing you there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimberto
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Player_2 doesn't know it yet... but we are going to AUSCON! Woo! Have just purchased tickets and limted set of dice - they had me at limited .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wilcockson
Australia
Greenbank
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you guys all ended up going. I spent all 3 days there and had an absolute blast helping out on the LXG stand.

From memory, I played:

Saturday:
Peurto Rico (first time played)
Fresco
Pass the Pigs

Sunday:
Water Lilly
Blokus
Ticket to Ride x2 (Tournament, 3rd)
Peurto Rico x 2 (Tournament, 1st )
Pandemic x 3
RoboRally (Tournament, wish I hadn't)
Colosseum
Pass the Pigs

Monday:
Last Night on Earth x 1.5
Memoir '44 x 2 (Tournament, 3rd)
Shogun

Already looking forward to next year, hoping it will be even bigger and better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Haar
Australia
Muswellbrook
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had great fun. Only stuck around for a couple of hours but played:

Pandemic
Dominion x2
Peurto Rico (sorry about those boats Andrew..)

I was looking forward to coming home with some goodies but understandably the stores were miniature based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.