Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't decide if I should keep it or return it.

Whats to like about this game?

What is there a new player with very little game experience should be warned of? is there something I may not like about this game?

I fear its too heavy and long for my group and may never see the table, none of us have played heavy games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
AoI is no big deal. Don't worry.

Brass, however, is another matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G.
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's heavier than most of the games you have rated highly, but I don't consider it extremely heavy. I think it is lighter than some other Wallace creations.

I like it quite a bit, but I'm a fan of medium-to-heavy games.

It should clock in around 2 hours I would say, maybe longer at first and shorter with experienced players.

The rules aren't too complex, but it might be best to learn from someone who's played before, if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I don't have anyone near me who could teach it, I am having a hard time with Alea Iacta Est, which I just tried for the first time and its supposed to be easy, I think that heavy to some is tonage to me, I'm really thinking now that I had such a hard time with Alea that this game is will be harder than hell to my newbie ass to figure out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Don't let the rulebook scare you. Wallace's games have notoriously convoluted rules hiding relatively simple gameplay.

Think of AoI as Ticket to Ride with money. You play a colored card, you put something down in that colored area. After paying money for it. Or, play an industry card anywhere you like, as long as you're connected to the space you want to build. After paying money for it.

Everything else just game administration and upkeep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be the voice of dissent. This game is definitely heavier (I agree it's a medium weight game) than the ones you seem used to. That's not to say you won't like it (it's a great game after all) but it'll probably take quite some initial effort (certainly if you don't have a more experienced player at hand) and might turn off some other inexperienced gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mihola
Austria
Wolkersdorf
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played AoI but I played a few games of Brass online here:

http://brass.orderofthehammer.com/

And I have to say it isn't as bad as I thought. Sure, there are some fiddly exceptions in the rules but on the whole I find the gameplay (not the strategy) to be rather straightforward.
In fact, there is a recent thread in the Brass forums that discusses just that: Brass's rules complexity overstated?

So, since AoI is said to be simplified version of Brass I suppose it isn't to hard to learn either; but you could just get over to the Online-Brass and try it yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bmwrider wrote:
I can't decide if I should keep it or return it.

Whats to like about this game?

What is there a new player with very little game experience should be warned of? is there something I may not like about this game?

I fear its too heavy and long for my group and may never see the table, none of us have played heavy games.

Here is a link on BGG to 8 AoI reviews that will answer all of these questions:

http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/713674/age-of-industry/review...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is in good shape and you decide not to keep it send me a message I have been wanting to pick it up and maybe we can work something out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G.
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bmwrider wrote:
Well I don't have anyone near me who could teach it, I am having a hard time with Alea Iacta Est, which I just tried for the first time and its supposed to be easy, I think that heavy to some is tonage to me, I'm really thinking now that I had such a hard time with Alea that this game is will be harder than hell to my newbie ass to figure out.

If only you were on the other side of Michigan, I'd volunteer to teach. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MidLifeDelta wrote:

If only you were on the other side of Michigan, I'd volunteer to teach.

The guy lives in Michigan, what more do you want. It isn't like he lives in Holland!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G.
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
MidLifeDelta wrote:

If only you were on the other side of Michigan, I'd volunteer to teach. :)

The guy lives in Michigan, what more do you want. It isn't like he lives in Holland!:D

Heh. It's a 3 hour drive away. I have a tough enough time breaking away to drive across town for game night. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah 3 hrs to play a game is a bit much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder where the closest copy of the game is to Honduras *sigh*.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.