Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are allowed to move further than the step number on the card by discarding energy cubes. In another thread this question came up.

"If a player wins the game by revealing his opponents hand by moving further than the step number on his action card, is the moving player still required to give up the energy cubes required for the move? (Even if the moving player would discard his last cube)."

Here is the answer I got from Rio Grande.

"Yes. Jay"

This answer begs the next question. OK, so who wins in this case? I am not confident in the answer I got, based on its brevity and that it does not answer the larger question. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has never come up in a game that I have played.

I would assume the energy cubes to be the 'life points' of either Dracula or Van Helsing so if either ran out, they would lose regardless of finding the five coffins or maidens. At least that's the way I would look at the tie breaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very little traffic on this question. I have had time to ponder and decided that a player should not be allowed to give up his last cube voluntarily for any reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilson
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Anomaly, or inevitable unlikelihood?
badge
Snoopy : )
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gambit Rule
Sorry for the delayed response, but hopefully this will add to the discussion in a helpful way.

drmark64 wrote:
"If a player wins the game by revealing his opponents hand by moving further than the step number on his action card, is the moving player still required to give up the energy cubes required for the move? (Even if the moving player would discard his last cube)."

Thesis: You can win the game in this way without losing an energy cube in the first place.

The 2003 Rio Grande Games Edition of the rulebook states, "The game ends when a player determines that there are no more of his opponent's target cards on the game board. This player has won the game!..."(p.6)

The rulebook doesn't talk about continuing/completing one's turn after they have determined their opponent has no more target cards on the game board, you simply win at that moment. The rulebook describes how that moment would be before the active player gives up their energy cubes.

"There are 2 parts to a player's turn:
1. move his figure and then
2. play an action card" (p.3)

The rulebook is quite clear about distinguishing these two sections of a turn. "Two figures on the same place" is described on page 3 and is clearly associated with the movement phase of the turn.

Conclusion: Regardless of the intent of the designer, the rulebook quite conclusively supports the position that one could make a gambit, moving further than any action card could take them, to try and win the game in a one last chance-type scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that Daniel. I think you are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
rulebook wrote:

1. A player may also lose the game when he loses his last energy cube!

2. Important: if a player gives up his last energy cube, he loses the game immediately!

3. When he gives up his last energy cube it is too late!

4. The player plays the action card immediately after he ends the movement of his figure!

5. After the player finishes moving his figure for the turn, he must pay for each step by playing an action card with a step number equal to or greater than the number of steps he moved his figure.

However: A player can win the game during the "movement" phase by revealing the supply cards of both players: In this case, a player is allowed to move as many spaces as he wants (up to 6), disregarding the number of cubes he has, because he will win before he reaches the phase where he must play an action card and spend cubes.

If, after this, a player has not won by revealing a set of five cards. He will lose as many cubes as he spent over the card value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense Rob. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.