Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this thread was going to have something to do with vinyl records.
However, this is much cooler! Nice work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Sumner
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
what formula did you use to determine the diameter of the board? I ask as I would like to make something similar however increase the size enough to have the prosperity cards have a place in the appropriate places (IE the Colony cards on the outer ring and the Platinum in the inner area)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Fenton
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
warderbrad wrote:
what formula did you use to determine the diameter of the board? I ask as I would like to make something similar however increase the size enough to have the prosperity cards have a place in the appropriate places (IE the Colony cards on the outer ring and the Platinum in the inner area)

I didn't really, Just started with a 20" Diameter circle and divided it by 13.To get the spacing I used Chord= 2R sin (A/2) or 2*10 sin ((360/13)/2 = 4.78.

So the spacing of 4.78 seems to be about right, so if you want 14 spaces I'd just use a ratio. R = (10/(4.78*13))*(4.78*14) = a radius of about 10.75.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Fenton
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Latest one in Black Walnut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
Very nice work. Would you consider taking orders for them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Fenton
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
For those that wanted a plan for a turn table that holds all possible combination of cards including Prosperity and Alchemy, here ya go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lambeth
United States
Paso Robles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
col_w wrote:

That is an excellent question. The other question being, how much would you sell these for, with that new Prosperity/Alchemy design?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lambeth
United States
Paso Robles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
warthawg wrote:
I didn't really, Just started with a 20" Diameter circle and divided it by 13.To get the spacing I used Chord= 2R sin (A/2) or 2*10 sin ((360/13)/2 = 4.78.

I learned in school that you're not supposed to use this kind of math in everyday life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a stunning work! I can even think of wacky kingdom cards which states actions like "Spin the wheel like hell. Whatever card stops by you you can buy it for 2 coins less."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Fenton
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
hogefan wrote:
col_w wrote:

That is an excellent question. The other question being, how much would you sell these for, with that new Prosperity/Alchemy design?

For the right price anythings possible, but right now I have a day job and these are really time consuming to build. Don't think anyone would spend what I' d have to charge. That's why I've published the plans and instructions.Time consuming but not difficult, with the right tools, in fact this project takes fewer tools than most. Now if I had access to a CNC machine......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jacobson
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb

Stan, I finally finished my own version of your awesome turn table. I used some soft maple left over from a table I recently made. Your plans were very helpful and I put my own "spin" on a couple things. I expanded the diameter to 22 1/4" to accommodate an extra Victory, Treasure, and Potion card as well as an extra pocket for a unknown future expansion. I was planning on adding the token cups, per your design, but at the last minute I decided an extra card pocket could double as both.

Your latest design rocks! The staggering is a good way to keep the card pocket finger holes from interfering. You'll notice I routed out a continuous finger slot under my Treasure cards because I decreased the space between the pockets.

I regret forgetting to align my grain to my slots. Ooops. A cosmetic detail that I think is important. I may squeeze in some token cups too. The tokens are not as easy to remove from the card pockets as I imagine the cups would be.

To your point about this taking too long to build on commission. I couldn't agree more. It took me two weekends and I get very bored doing it; lots of repetitive work.

However, this darn thing is truly a joy to play on and I thank you so much for the idea and assistance. I'm impressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Fenton
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Very nice Eric! Thanks for sharing it with me.

As you say, for reasons I can't fully explain, it adds a lot to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
These tables are amazing and very well crafted. I'm considering getting one of these custom built from a local wood-working shop (I don't have any kind of carpentry skills to speak of). Can anybody give me an idea as to how much this would cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want one too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incredible work and cool idea!

I'll play the devil's advocate this time. devil

Where do you put the Black Market deck?
(probably wouldn't be too feasible if you are constantly drawing from the deck and placing unpurchased cards on the bottom, though)

Or how about the 11th supply pile for a 'bane' card with Cornucopia?

What about the 5 unique prizes for Tournament from Cornucopia?

I do kind of like the suggestion that someone else had earlier in this thread. Make a smaller removable second tier that can stand about 6" or so above the treasures, curses, etc. Use the second tier when necessary with whatever extra piles are needed (colonies, platinum, bane supply, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd want a spot for the Bane pile, but not for Black Market or Prizes. Since the cards in those stacks aren't identical, you're going to have to pick up the whole stack anyway. I'd rather have them nearby the board.

EDIT: Actually, I think I'd just use the Trash slot for Bane cards instead. I think I'd rather have my Trash as a big ol' heap somewhere on the table. A lot of times it'd overflow its slot on a board like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Fenton
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Finally got a chance to build the new design. For those that asked for one, you can bid on this one on eBay until May 29, 2011 19:40:58 PDT!

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the idea! Just finished mine and handed it off as a xmas present yesterday. If anyone else is pondering whether to use a flush cut bit over guide bushings, use the latter! I had a 1" flush cut bit so I decided to use that - sounded great, since the template can be the exact size of the desired cut. First it was restricting my depth of cut - with a 3/4" template, the shallowest cut I could make was about 1/2". Second, after 7 cuts it had eaten enough of the template that I was getting wobbles that had to be sanded out. Live and learn!

It's designed for Intrigue + Prosperity, with some room to grow. In the picture I've used an additional slot for half the copper, since it's not deep enough to hold them all. Considering how copper gets used, half of it could probably be left off the board. I really like placing a single nail nick in the center, since it makes a cool snowflake pattern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job, Charles! So . . . how much wood can you, Chuck?

Cheech wrote:
These tables are amazing and very well crafted. I'm considering getting one of these custom built from a local wood-working shop (I don't have any kind of carpentry skills to speak of). Can anybody give me an idea as to how much this would cost?

I have it on good authority that you can get an entire workshop for three pennies and woodcutter for three more. If you allow a little more time, the workshop supplies its own woodcutter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Copperpot
msg tools
Here's my version:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sam
msg tools
What is the spacing between the card slots on this turntable? Also what is the diameter of the turntable? I think I saw it was about 27 inches, but couldn't find where I saw that. I have someone who may be able to make this for me and he wanted some more specific demensions from me.
Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Fenton
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Instructions are on the first page of this thread and the dimensions for the revised design are above. Specifically 12" radius and 5.34" spacing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wong
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These turn tables are brilliant. Anywhere to buy these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Coney
msg tools
Dear Stan, iam new to the site, but been a board-gamer with the family for years. My husband is an avid gaming fan and we all love your Dominion turntable. I would love toget him one for his birthday in march as a surprise. Would you be interested in making one for sale, or selling your walnut or cherry wood one? I realise this is a shot in the dark, but if you don't enquire, you don't find out!
Please let me know asap. regards, sue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Coney
msg tools
Thank you for the picture, Stan. I really needed to know if you were selling them/making new ones for sale.

Please let me know asap
Regards, Sue coney.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.