$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
80 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: A Newbie FAQ - 21 things a new AH player might want to have in mind rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
After a half-dozen games, during most of which I wrote down questions as they occurred to me, then researched them on the forums and in the Rules & FAQ, it seemed to me that there were a good number of fairly straightforward but pretty important issues that I wished had been addressed in a newbie FAQ, or wherever. This is my brief attempt to address that concern. It's by no means intended to be any sort of replacement for the almost mythic soon-to-be-produced FAQ-to-end-all-FAQs, which still might not make a newbie version altogether redundant.

Some of these are in the rules already, but easy to forget (especially a few in the FAQ).
Some arise because the rules are ambiguous (or just unhelpful).
Some are just observations, or resolve forum-caused confusion (i.e. gate bursts).
And some (like the gate/OW movement rules) are there in the rules, but not obvious, until you've played a little, or read the forums for a week.

This is v.1.1 of the Newbie FAQ. It no longer has just 21 things.

This is a FAQ for the BASE GAME only.

Preamble: Remember the order of the phases and always stick to it like your life depends on it. 90% of rule questions can be resolved by proper application of phase order. Q2 below illustrates the point.

1. If you move into a location where there is a monster and a gate, deal with the monster at the end of your movement phase; if you evade/defeat it, you are drawn into the gate during the Arkham Encounters phase. Contrast this with an encounter/mythos card where a gate or gate & monster appear - in both such cases you are drawn through the gate before any monster interaction. Contrast also returning from an OW to a gate with a monster where you need not tackle the monster on the turn you return but you must do so on the next turn.

2. Here is a description of progress through a gate, where you choose to enter the gate (i.e. not where a gate appears in your location as a result of an encounter or Mythos card):

- Turn 1
- Phase 2: Movement - Move to location with gate, deal with monsters on that spot if there are any.
- Phase 3: Arkham Encounters - Get sucked through gate, move to first location in other world.
- Phase 4: Other World Encounters - Have an OW Encounter (yes, even though you had an Arkham Encounter always follow the rules phase-by-phase).

- Turn 2
- Phase 2: Movement - Move to second location in other world.
- Phase 4: Other World Encounters - Have an OW Encounter.

- Turn 3
- Phase 2: Movement - Leave OW and move to matching Gate in Arkham (ANY Gate that matches the OW you were in, even if you entered from a different one). You may ignore monsters in that location for the turn you return to Arkham only. Get an Explored token.
- Phase 3: Arkham Encounters - Attempt to close/seal the gate.

The next turn you must deal with any monsters during movement.

If you didn't close/seal the gate on your return, you may try again on subsequent turns, so long as your Explored marker remains there (and it will disappear, just as soon as you leave the location).

3. You must discard clue(s) at the location any gate appears and afterwards, no clues can appear on a location with a Gate (just ignore the Mythos card instruction to put a clue on a location, if a Gate is there).

4. When closing a Gate, remove all monsters with the Gate's symbol including those in the sky and the outskirts - but do not collect trophies for the removed monsters.

5. Cards: there are no discard piles. Discard by putting the card onto the bottom of the stack. As a rule do not shuffle stacks. An exception is location cards - shuffle before or after use, or (optional) roll a d8 and choose the nth card (re-roll 8s). Note that return to the box does not mean discard - it means take the card/item out of the game altogether.

6. You may read in the forums about gate bursts - they are dealt with in expansion rules, so ignore them in basic AH.

7. Clue tokens are spent to buy extra dice on skill checks regardless of how low your original skill check was. So if your skill is 1, and the modifier is -2, to give you -1, you can still spend a token to roll a die. You need not "get back up to 0" first. Sequential spending means that you can roll one die, for a token, and if it doesn't succeed, you can then roll another... then another etc. You need not declare at the outset "I'll spend 3 tokens" (though that might make an interesting house rule to make life harder).

8. OW Encounters: the number of such encounters during a trip through an OW may vary depending on how/when you enter the OW.

If a gate appears during the Mythos phase, you will be drawn through it into the OW, and Delayed. You'll have only two OW encounters before returning to Arkam. Here is why: after the Mythos phase, a new turn begins and in the movement phase any Delayed character stands back up, remaining in the first OW location - then proceeds to have his encounter in the OW Encounters phase. On the following turn during the movement phase he will cross over to the second OW location and have another encounter in the OW Encounters phase.

Contrast: when a Gate opens upon an Investigator in the Arkham Encounters phase, the Investigator is again drawn through the Gate and Delayed. The Investigator now has an Other World Encounter in the first OW location, whilst Delayed, in the same turn because the OW Encounters phase follows the Arkham Encounters phase. The second Other World Encounter in the first OW location happens during the next turn (the player stands-up for movement, has no Arkham Encounter, then has an OW encounter). On the turn following, the Investigator moves to the second OW location for another (=three) Other World Encounter.

Note: you are not Delayed if you choose to enter a Gate - see 2, above

9. Urban/Weather Environments affect investigators in Arkham only; Mystic Environments may affect those in OWs as well - the type is otherwise irrelevant, and you only have one Environment card in play at any one time, regardless of type.

10. Flesh Ward only wards one lot of damage from a monster, NOT one monster's repeated attacks over a whole combat.

11. Mandy's re-roll ability includes re-rolling the dice you got from spending clue tokens on the original roll. So an investigator rolls 3 dice on a fight check, and scores no successes. She uses a clue token for a 4th die, and fails again. Mandy's power lets her re-roll 4 dice.

12. Hands/weapons/spells: you can use e.g. a one-handed weapon in one hand, and a one-handed spell in the other. You can try to cast your spell before you decide whether to fight or flee a monster (useful, since if you fail to cast it, you might decide not to fight...) - but you cast it in combat (not before an Evade roll that precedes combat). A magical sword, whilst a physical weapon in the general sense, is a magical weapon in a rules sense, and resistance/immunity rules apply accordingly. You get a Cross's +1 to Horror check bonus even if you're not holding it (e.g. because you're using the 2-handed Tommy Gun).

13. Where an OW Encounter says you "return to Arkham" you will get an explored marker on the gate you return to - but not if you are LitaS or returned e.g. to a specific location in Arkham. The key seems to be, that the "return to Arkham" words get you the Explored token.

14. Monster surges produce monsters equal to the number of Gates in play OR number of players, whichever is greater. Don't forget that the two might be quite different.

15. The monster limit in Arkham = number of players + 3. So for 3 players, it is 6. Once a 7th monster appears in Arkham, it must go into the outskirts.

16. The outskirts limit on monsters = 8 less the number of players (i.e investigators). So for 3 players, it is 5. Once you have more monsters in the outskirts than the outskirts limit, return all the outskirts monsters to the cup, and increase the terror track by 1. If a monster surge will cause the outskirts limit to be exceeded, proceed one monster at a time, like this: e.g. 3 Players; Monster Limit = 6; Outskirts limit = 5; Current monsters in Arkham = 6; current monsters in outskirts = 4; 4 Gates in play, so Monster surge = 4 monsters. None can go into Arkham because the limit there has been reached. Add the first to the outskirts = 5. We are at the outskirts limit, not exceeding it. Add the second to the outskirts = 6. Now we have exceeded the outskirts limit. Remove all the outskirts monsters and put them back in the cup (including the 2 we just added - all 6). The terror track increases by one. The outskirts are now empty. Put the last 2 monsters from the surge into the outskirts.

Remember: you always add monsters to the outskirts one at a time and, especially with more investigators in play, the terror level may increase more than once, in a single monster surge.

Also remember to lose an ally from the ally deck when the terror level goes up.

17. Clue tokens - take them in any phase e.g. at end of movement, or if you are moved by an encounter to a location with a clue, or if you are in a location when a clue appears via a Mythos card - basically, always take the clue UNLESS you are just "passing through" the location during movement. This seems to be a "best guess" rule but from what I gather the new FAQ will go this way.

Summary: you can collect a Clue token any time that you end a phase in the same location as a Clue token.

18. Lost in Time and Space (LiTaS) - you are always Delayed if you are LiTaS. Set the investigator piece on its side. Next turn you will ONLY (in the movement phase) stand it up - nothing else. No upkeep phase, no Encounters. The turn after that, return to any Arkham location or street.

19. Final battle - do NOT discard successes that are fractions of the number of players. So: with 3 players, if you roll 5 success, remove 1 doom token and KEEP the balance of 2, so the next player starts from 2 and adds his successes to that number. The rules unhelpfully refer to "resetting the success tally to 0" - ignore that.

It may be easier to simply say, in the case of, say, 10 Doom tokens and 4 players, that the GOO has 40 hit points, and ignore removing Doom tokens or anything of the like. 40 successes would be required, and it does not matter in what round they are obtained.

20. Only the first player draws a Mythos card in a turn. The rules suggest that each player completes each phase - it would help if they said "except the Mythos Phase." (You can, if you like, have each player draw a Mythos card instead. Many, many Gates will appear, and madness and death will quickly ensue devil )

21. If you're losing a lot, you probably are playing with only 1 or 2 investigators - 3 or 4 will help a lot (and 2 players can easily play 2 investigators each); similarly, the choice of investigators and Ancient One can make a huge difference. Put Mandy in your party if you're struggling: her re-roll ability is more than a little useful; and try Nyarlathotep as the AO, he is significantly less troublesome than some of the others.

22. When calculating the effect of physical or magical resistance, remember that the halving of the bonus effect and rounding up is per item, not total. This means that two weapons that give a bonus of +1 each are unaffected by resistance (you keep a total bonus of +2), whereas with two weapons each giving +2 bonus the resultant bonus is +2. And a +3 with a +1 gives a resulting +3. Look at each item individually, apply the reduction, and you should get the right result.
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Rodger
Scotland
Stirling
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job - I think you've covered about everything there.

I think though in number 7 - you always get to roll 1 die no matter if the modifiers take you down to -2 etc. So you'd always get to roll 1 die and then another if you spent a clue etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks J Rodger for the compliment.

Not so, however, about rolling always 1 die.

If you're reduced to zero, or less, you automatically fail the roll.

From the Rules:

"Important: If the modifier reduces an investigator to 0
or fewer dice, he automatically fails the check"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Rodger
Scotland
Stirling
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eek...not just things a NEWBIE should know then ha ha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good FAQ. thumbsup sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Joshua.

I should have given credit to the dedicated and relentless posters on the FFG AH forums (esp Tibs & Julia, though neither will know me from Adam...)

I hope I have spared a few people a few hours ploughing through posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Wisniewski
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Find me on Twitter @bgg_geraldkw
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who mostly plays solo games or is the "local rules expert", I am glad to see that I am doing everything listed here already. Good post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Schillaci
msg tools
Beloch wrote:

4. When closing a Gate, remove all monsters with the Gate's symbol including those in the sky and the outskirts - but do not collect trophies for the removed monsters.

9. Urban/Weather Environments affect investigators in Arkham only; Mystic Environments may affect those in OWs as well - the type is otherwise irrelevant, and you only have one Environment card in play at any one time, regardless of type.

10. Flesh Ward only wards one lot of damage from a monster, NOT one monster's repeated attacks over a whole combat.

12. Hands/weapons/spells: you can use a one-handed weapon in one hand, and a one-handed spell in the other. You can try to cast your spell before you decide whether to evade or fight a monster (useful, since if you fail to cast it, you might decide not to fight...) A magical sword, whilst a physical weapon in the general sense, is a magical weapon in a rules sense, and resistance/immunity rules apply accordingly. You get a Cross's +1 to Horror check bonus even if you're not holding it (e.g. because you're using the 2-handed Tommy Gun).

Awesome FAQ for newbies! Wish it had been around a few months ago when I started playing. Glad to see that I've been following most of the rules, though. Just a few specifics:

4) I've never removed monsters from the outskirts before. That's a nice little bonus! I always thought outskirt monsters were "untouchable".

9) Good point. Never realized that "mystic" meant it applied everywhere, even OW. I always went with the ruling that if the card said "in Arkham", it didn't apply to OW, but now I have a hard-and-fast rule to go by as far as what environment cards apply in what locations.

10) Just used flesh ward for the first time in my last game. I chose to interpret "ignore stamina damage from one source" as "from one monster". I thereby made an un-winnable battle very winnable. I knew in the back of my mind that I was wrong, but dammit, I was in a tight spot and needed to win the combat! Now that it's in black-and-white I can't feign ignorance any more.

12) Even though I had read this before in the forums somewhere, I always felt weird about it. I feel like I shouldn't benefit from an item if my hands are full. I can maybe see that the cross is worn around the neck, and therefore still affords protection, but what about the bullwhip? Does that card's effect apply even if it's not "in your hand"?

If I were to add anything to the FAQ, points 22 and 23 for newbies would describe what can be traded with other investigators in your location and what types of items must be discarded when you go insane or are knocked unconscious. These can often be confusing (at least to me).

Thanks again for a great FAQ!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Hale
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mb
For point 9 you mis-understood. He said Mystic cards MAY effect. So yes, pay attention to the words "In Arkham"

But yes, I'm surprised the "tradeables" question wasn't put here. I know a LOT of people played that you can trade clues in the first few games they played. Most people get that you don't trade Skills, or even allies. But clues seem to make sense, even if it's not mentioned in the rules ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to contribute to the body of knowledge for this game. I've been playing for a long time and still have those "now, exactly what do the rules say about...?" moments and I clearly remember how hard is was when I was just starting out.

Secondly, I'd like to comment on some of the items you have written

Beloch wrote:
5. Cards: there are no discard piles. Discard by putting the card onto the bottom of the stack. As a rule do not shuffle stacks. An exception is location cards - shuffle before or after use, or (optional) roll a d8 and choose the nth card (re-roll 8s). Note that return to the box does not mean discard - it means take the card/item out of the game altogether.

Given that you're writing a FAQ for noobs, I'd like to point out that the die roll is not part of the rules. The key thing is that you randomly select a card from the Encounter cards for the applicable Location; the rules say shuffle the deck and take a card. Bear in mind that expansions may add Encounter cards to the deck from the Base game, so a D8 only works with the Base, you'll have to change it with expansions.

Quote:
12. Hands/weapons/spells: you can use a one-handed weapon in one hand, and a one-handed spell in the other. You can try to cast your spell before you decide whether to evade or fight a monster (useful, since if you fail to cast it, you might decide not to fight...) A magical sword, whilst a physical weapon in the general sense, is a magical weapon in a rules sense, and resistance/immunity rules apply accordingly. You get a Cross's +1 to Horror check bonus even if you're not holding it (e.g. because you're using the 2-handed Tommy Gun).

The "Hands" issue is more general than you state: you can hold as many "hands-worth" of items as you have hands. Each item shows on the card how many hands-worth it consumes. You are not limited to a weapon plus a spell as you imply, for one-hand items you can use two weapons or two spells or one of each. Note that the number of hands that you have is not always limited to two in the game - some situations/items/characters can increase or decrease your number of hands!

I'm not sure where you got the suggestion that you can cast a spell before entering combat and then decide whether to Evade or Fight depending on the success or otherwise of the spell. I can't find it in the rules or the FFG FAQ. If you have a link to a Forum thread where this is ruled on I'd be grateful - it's always helpful to follow the logic of the discussion.

Well done for pointing out that the Horror check bonus for the Cross is only dependant on your possessing the item, not on your using it in a hand.

Quote:
16. The outskirts limit on monsters = 8 less the number of players. So for 3 players, it is 5. Once you have more monsters in the outskirts than the outskirts limit, return all the outskirts monsters to the cup, and increase the terror track by 1. If a monster surge will cause the outskirts limit to be exceeded, proceed one monster at a time, like this: e.g. 3 Players; Monster Limit = 6; Outskirts limit = 5; Current monsters in Arkham = 6; current monsters in outskirts = 4; 4 Gates in play, so Monster surge = 4 monsters. None can go into Arkham because the limit there has been reached. Add the first to the outskirts = 5. We are at the outskirts limit, not exceeding it. Add the second to the outskirts = 6. Now we have exceeded the outskirts limit. Remove all the outskirts monsters and put them back in the cup (including the 2 we just added - all 6). The terror track increases by one. The outskirts are now empty. Put the last 2 monsters from the surge into the outskirts.

It's worth pointing out that you add Monsters to the Outskirt one at a time and resolve any consequences of exceeding the Outskirt limit before adding the next Monster to the Outskirt. Where you have multiple Monsters to add to the Outskirt this may result in multiple increases in the Terror level.

Quote:
17. Clue tokens - take them in any phase e.g. at end of movement, or if you are moved by an encounter to a location with a clue, or if you are in a location when a clue appears via a Mythos card - basically, always take the clue UNLESS you are just "passing through" the location during movement. This seems to be a "best guess" rule but from what I gather the new FAQ will go this way.

The way that it has been phrased in the forum is that you can collect a Clue token at any time that you end a phase in the same location as a Clue token

I'd like to add one of my own items, if I may
When calculating the effect of physical or magical resistance, remember that the halving of the bonus effect and rounding up is per item not total. This means that two weapons that give a bonus of +1 each are unaffected by resistance (giving a total bonus of +2), whereas with two weapons each giving +2 bonus the resultant bonus is +2. And a +3 with a +1 gives a resulting +3 (you can figure other examples). Odd I know, but that's how it's meant to be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johan rosenblad
Sweden
malmoe
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you talk about "players" (in eg 15 & 16) do you really mean physical, blood- liver- and heartfilled persons - or do you mean investigators? I think it says "players" in the rules and I know I've seen it in other forums but I always play as if it said "investigators". What is the correct interpretation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Johan, I mean investigators.

Mccrispy thanks for all the comments. I will reply properly when I have a min.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Teuber
Germany
Langenfeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about a preamble or a new point 1: "Remember the order of the phases and always stick to it like your life depends on it"?

Many, many questions I read here on the geek could have been solved by that one rule, i.e. "do I have to fight a monster at a gate location when I return from the OW" -> yes, in the next Arkham movement phase, i.e. the next turn, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Figilano wrote:
What about a preamble or a new point 1: "Remember the order of the phases and always stick to it like your life depends on it"?

Many, many questions I read here on the geek could have been solved by that one rule, i.e. "do I have to fight a monster at a gate location when I return from the OW" -> yes, in the next Arkham movement phase, i.e. the next turn, etc.

I very nearly suggested the same thing. It truly is one of the most powerful "rules of thumb" to use when trying to figure out what should happen at any give time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Hunter
United Kingdom
Horsham
flag msg tools
Thanks for the FAQ.
Number 16, you might want to add, when the terror track increases by 1 you also return a Ally from the Ally deck to the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Depotte
France
bourg-la-reine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
19. Final battle - do NOT discard successes that are fractions of the number of players. So: with 3 players, if you roll 5 success, remove 1 doom token and KEEP the balance of 2, so the next player starts from 2 and adds his successes to that number. The rules unhelpfully refer to "resetting the success tally to 0" - ignore that.

I don't agree with this point. The rule is unclear but it tells that :
1) the first player makes his attack and sums all his successes.
2) all he other players, one by one, make their attacks and sum their sucesses to the first player's.
3) if the total of successes (for all players) is greater than the number of players, the monster takes one hit and the total of successes is reseted. That means that all the remaining successes are lost.
You cannot just forget the sentence about reseting the points. whistle

In other word, you can kill the monster in a number of turn at least equal to the monster's initial hit points.
That makes the game far more difficult but far more,interesting !devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Salamanca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KokoLeMakak wrote:

Strangely enough, Koko, you do indeed need to forget about it. There are those who claim if you hold your head at just the right angle, the rules as written almost make sense, but in truth it's a flub up; you are intended to be able to remove more than a single token per turn, and no hits are ever lost.
Unless you prefer to house rule otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Salamanca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a wonderful job, Rene! A clearly written and well thought out execution of a really nice idea... with an easy to search title, to boot!

One question... I thought an Investigator Lost in Time and Space was right out of the time stream, and did not even get an upkeep phase... I could be wrong on this.

Once more, excellent job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
KokoLeMakak wrote:

Strangely enough, Koko, you do indeed need to forget about it. There are those who claim if you hold your head at just the right angle, the rules as written almost make sense, but in truth it's a flub up; you are intended to be able to remove more than a single token per turn, and no hits are ever lost.
Unless you prefer to house rule otherwise.

Heh! this is one of those classic fubars by FFG. The original intent was as Beloch states. IIRC the rule was clumsily written in the first place and gave the wrong impression, the error was then compounded by an even more clumsy "clarification".

In an N-player game with X doomers on the track, you remove one doomer for every N combat check success that are made by the party. This means that you "carry over" the "unused" successes by each Investigator and add them to the success of the next Investigator. The AO is defeated when all X doomers are removed (after a total of N times X successes). Here's what the current FFG FAQ states:

Quote:
Q: In combat with an Ancient One, how do cumulative
successes in the “Investigators Attack” step work?
A: To defeat the Ancient One, the players must do a total
number of successes equal to the number of players multiplied
by the number of doom tokens on the Ancient One.
So, if 4 players are facing Yig (doom track of 10), they
need 40 successes to win. For every 4 successes they do,
they remove 1 doom token to track their progress. If the
investigators get 9 successes in the first round of combat,
they would remove 2 doom tokens, and 1 success would
carry over to the next round of combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Washington
District of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KokoLeMakak wrote:
Beloch wrote:

I don't agree with this point. The rule is unclear but it tells that :
1) the first player makes his attack and sums all his successes.
2) all he other players, one by one, make their attacks and sum their sucesses to the first player's.
3) if the total of successes (for all players) is greater than the number of players, the monster takes one hit and the total of successes is reseted. That means that all the remaining successes are lost.

In other word, you can kill the monster in a number of turn at least equal to the monster's initial hit points.
That makes the game far more difficult but far more,interesting !devil

This was a terribly worded rule, but what they actually meant when they said the successes resets to zero was that each time you remove a Doom token, you reset the "success count" to zero and continue onward.

That is, with 4 players:

Player 1: 2 successes (2 total)
Player 2: 1 success (3 total)
Player 3: 3 successes --> the first success causes it to reach 4, remove a Doom token, and reset to 0, then contribute the next 2 (so total, -1 Doom token, 2 new successes)
Player 4: 3 successes --> the first two are applied, reaching 4, a Doom token is removed, resets to 0, then the last one counts (so total, -2 Doom tokens, 1 success).

I find it far easier to simply say, in the case of, say, 10 Doom tokens and 4 players, that the GOO has 40 hit points, and ignore removing Doom tokens or anything of the like. 40 successes would be required, and it does not matter in what round they are obtained.

(Note of course that some GOOs and such can affect this, but those are special cases).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mccrispy - my replies follow, I've not mastered the nested quotes here yet so I'll just reply in order to your points if I may (using the same numbering):

5. I agree the die roll is not in the Rules. I mention it is an option and deliberately didn't go to d20s or whatever re: expansions, since I decided to make the FAQ strictly for the base game. I like the use of a die, since I don't like shuffling 7 cards. I should probably have made it clear it's a base game FAQ only.

12. I hadn't meant to imply any limit - I see now I would have been better to add an "e.g." before "you can use a..." I've yet to see an "extra hand" in the game - is that an expansion thing, or have I just not pulled the card yet?

I will find a link re: the "cast before choosing Evade/fight." But I think the point is this: you can cast e.g. Wither in "any phase". So we're in the movement phase when we trigger monster resolution by leaving/ending in an area with a monster. We engage the monster at that point. Whether we evade it or fight it is our next decision. So we can cast our spell, see if it works, and perhaps choose to evade if we fail to cast. Makes sense in terms of the card wording, and thematically (we've spotted the monster round a corner, quietly cast our spell, it fails so we sneak away), and, best of all, it makes combat spells suck a whole lot less.

But let me find a link, it is expressed elsewhere better than I have. Might be a forumite rather than an official ruling, but I like it and think it's justifiable. I can however see your point: is there combat, until we start fighting, and if not, can the spell be cast given that it stays till the "end of this combat"?

EDIT: Hmmm... I may be wrong Look here:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

This from the Creator. Says you may cast before making the decision to "fight or flee" - not the same, of course, as doing it before you Evade. Not sure if this is where I saw it, so I'll keep looking.

EDIT the 2nd: I can't find anything, and I conclude that I probably misread the above - easily done, since so often "evade" and "flee" are used interchangeably. I still think my version works and is sensible, but on balance I think the Rules say different. I say that because:
a) "Combat" is in a separate section of the Rules, distinct from Evading
b) If you Evade successfully, your movement continues i.e. you never enter combat

Tweak accordingly made. Good spot that man.

16. I thought this was clear, but I can see no harm by adding the clarifier that you suggest. It is awfully difficult, with this game, to know when to stop explaining. You run the risk, with every extra sentence, that the new explanation raises a question that hadn't been posed before!

17. Yes I think you're right, and I prefer your wording to mine.

And I like your additional point, too. It hadn't occurred to me, and it makes a good addition, I think.

I'm new here, so not sure how best to proceed with amendments. I will see if I can edit my post, but know some forums have time limits on that.

Thanks for your thoughts, really helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Other stuff:

Figilano - I agree, it's an excellent idea to add the preamble. I mention the point at Q.2 but I think it's worth adding the general rider.

Alan - a good point re: the loss of allies, I'll add it.

Koko - your point has been answered, but if it helps, in my 1st battle with a GOO I reset to zero every time. Still won, but would've been a LOT easier had I known!

Radulla - good point. The rules say this: "The investigator loses his next turn, remaining in the Lost in Time and Space area. The player may only stand his investigator marker back up during the Movement Phase." So I think you are right, and I will tweak.

Tarrant - I have previously seen, and like and will add the "alternative" explanation you include i.e. players x doom = hit points. Very clear.

Thanks all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
FAQ now updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Depotte
France
bourg-la-reine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

Quote:

Thank you all for the clarification.
But isn't the game too easy to win like that ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KokoLeMakak wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Quote:

Thank you all for the clarification.
But isn't the game too easy to win like that ?

Perhaps for you, but not for my group. With my group we have 7 Investigators (seven players too) so when the AO awakens we have to deal with at least 70 successes to win the final battle. We don't tool up for the final battle and so we usually lose quite quickly. Besides, we generally feel that if the AO awakens it's "game over" thematically speaking - so we call it a lost game.

Regardless of whether it's "too easy" or otherwise, it's how the game is intended to play and in a noobs FAQ that has to be the way that is described as being the correct interpretation of the rules. Anything else would be a house rule - which means that from my point of view it's not a game of Arkham Horror any more. I don't have a problem with people who house rule, I just prefer not to do it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.