Age of Industry» Forums » General

Subject: Scalper rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Perry
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools

Without using the most appropriate language... an individual has purchased one of the limited edition copies of AoI and is now trying to sell it on ebay for £100, plus £10 shipping! (online retailers are selling the shop version for about £30 to £35 - with delivery)

I did make a reasonable offer to this individual and their response was to counter offer at £99.99. Do they think that someone will pay 4x the amount for the limited edition than the shop version? Would someone pay 4x the value of the game for the wooden money and wooden trains (available elsewhere)? I'm sure no gamers would purchase for the signature or certificate!

Greed is an evil attribute - and this individual has a clear abundance of it!

I missed out on the limited edition as not being a subscriber, I dithered over paying £12 for the wooden tokens. Now I'm thinking I'll buy the shop version and possibly buy wooden trains (assuming they are like those available for Steam) and wooden coins.

I can only hope that this copy remains unused with this individual - in my mind I am not calling them "individual"... It's a shame that any copy of a game is wasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Holmes
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't get too worked up about it Ian. This guy is just chancing his arm. If someone wants the limited edition that desperately and is willing to pay £110 for it then good luck to both of them. If no one is interested then he's left looking a little foolish.

By the way the Wooden Trains in AoI are not the same as in AoS. In my opinion they're not that great and I use the cardboard track sections you get in the base game. However, the wooden money is much better that the plastic coins.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wooden trains are actually a hindrance in AoI as they are harder to stack and not as visible on a cluttered board. As for money, I usually use poker chips instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IanGB wrote:
I did make a reasonable offer to this individual and their response was to counter offer at £99.99. Do they think that someone will pay 4x the amount for the limited edition than the shop version?

If the offer was not accepted it was not reasonable. He has something which he wants to sell for a certain price. If you don't want to pay his price, why is that his problem? Why are you entitled?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
Insert witty meta-joke here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a set of the Mayday Games Wooden Trains and they have all the player colors for AoI. I keep reading comments that wooden trains don't stack well, and I couldn't figure out why that mattered until I realized they were stacking them on the player displays. We've not been doing that even with the railway tokens, just keeping them in a pile off to the side, so stacking isn't an issue unless you really want to keep them on the sheet. We are using standard-sized poker chips for money as well, they fit fine on the money spent boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like the wooden trains a lot better than the cardboard ones, but then I don't stack them.

It surprises me that the subscriptions don't disappear faster than they do, as even if you don't like a game you can always put it on ebay and get your money back. (Although I'm a completest, so of course I have to keep everything!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I would be very surprised if anyone thought that what you get in the limited edition was worth an extra £65 + p&p. I have the limited edition because it's what was available when I bought it at a games fair, but I wouldn't have paid extra for it. The guy is going to be disappointed and will end up selling it for half that amount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
IanGB wrote:
I did make a reasonable offer to this individual and their response was to counter offer at £99.99. Do they think that someone will pay 4x the amount for the limited edition than the shop version?

If the offer was not accepted it was not reasonable. He has something which he wants to sell for a certain price. If you don't want to pay his price, why is that his problem? Why are you entitled?

Exactly - why should he sell it for less - what's acceptable? The same price he paid?

Is some complete stranger entitled to benefit from his decision to purchase the collector's edition when another person chose not to and is looking for it now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Gravel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IanGB wrote:

I'm curious -- what is the maximum non-evil price one may ask for the game?

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loosegravel wrote:
IanGB wrote:

I'm curious -- what is the maximum non-evil price one may ask for the game?

Exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Steck
United States
Benton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Economics 101 taught me that a product is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.