Subject: God cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrei Ungureanu
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So I'm a bit confused about God cards and their mechanism. The manual doesn't state when exactly you can play cards or the exact usage of each one.

For instance instance it is stated here http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/117229/hellas-strategy that the "Attack as though you had one additional Greek..." can also be used for defence. Is this correct? Is this correct with all Ares cards?

And what about "Before you attack, exchange as many ships as you wish for soldiers in one of your towns! In so doing you may have more than 3 Greeks there until the end of your turn." ? How can you have more than 3 Greeks in a city if prior to using this card you have at most 3 Greeks and ships, therefore by exchanging all ships you would get a maximum of 3 Greeks.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nordlead
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a squarish symbol (I believe below the text) on cards that can be used during an opponents turn, otherwise it must be played on your turn. You will see it on the "Attack as though you had one additional Greek..." card. What makes that card confusing is it says "attack" not "attack/defend" or some other terminology.

I believe you must declare what you are doing (burst of strength, attack, or voyage) and then you can play cards whenever you want. So you declare you are attacking and so you play, "Attack with one additional..." and your opponent voids it. Or, you could choose a city to attack, he plays a defense card, and then you play an additional attack card or a void card.

As for your second question, the card lets you break the 3 greeks per city rule until the attack is over. So, you declare you are going to attack (somewhere, but you don't have to specify quite yet). You have 3 greeks and 3 ships in a city. You play the card and swap out 3 ships for greeks and you now have 6 greeks and can attack with up to 5 of them. After the attack (success or failure) you must remove any excess greeks down to the 3 greek limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ungureanu
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I see.. This all makes a lot of sense, thanks for the quick and straight forward reply! R'stekpa!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ungureanu
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

One thing is not clear though. Can I play a card after I finished my turn ? ( for example after a succesful atack can I play the "reduce the number of Greeks in every town to 2" ? )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nordlead
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand yes, you could if you didn't declare your turn over. There is a card that allows you to attack twice and you don't have to play it until after you attacked once, so it would make sense to be able to play other cards in the same time frame.

There seems to be a lot of loopholes in god card play, so my rule of thumb would be if it seems fair, then play that way.

For example, you could argue that you can play the flood card in the middle of your burst of strength, start out by distributing 2 greeks everywhere and then play the card, then redistribute and add additional greeks and have some of your cities contain 3 greeks each without losing any. When my brother and I played we only used the card at the start/end of our turns. It wasn't until later that we thought about using it in the middle of your turn which I think is a little cheap and overpowering with the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ungureanu
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I thought of that as well, but it seems overpowering endeed. I've got one more . What exactly does the "Your voyage is successful when you have at least as many ships in adjacent cities" card do ? Does it allow you to place a new tile adjacent to 2 tiles, each owned by each of the players and where there are equal number of ships? That's what i'm thinking right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mb
If I understand your last question and answer, you seem to grok it correctly. Normally you need more ships, not just an equal number of ships, in that situation.

BTW if you haven't seen it already, you might find Hellas FAQ useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nordlead
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes. The only thing you can't do is place a new tile where there are no ships as you must take one off. So if you and your opponent each own a tile with 1 ship each you could place the new tile there if you play the card. Normally you would need 2 or more ships for his 1 ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ungureanu
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I see, thanks for the replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.