$10.00
Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: New Expansion suggestion - The Dreamlands rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Randolph Carter dreamlands stories The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, The Silver Key, and Through the Gates Of The Silver Key have always been some of my favourite HPL stories. The first is in fact I think my favourite HPL story of all.

I'd live FFG to give some thought to a Dreamlands expansion, either a big box one with a board, altjough this may be difficult to do, since the locations in the Dreamlsnfs stories are much more distant from one anothervthan the relatively close streets of Arkham or Dunwich, or a small box one which could be used in tandem with the Dreamlands Other World location we alreadtly have access to.

Thoughts?

Eco
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Large box expansions for the other realms is a tremendous opportunity.

The trick would be making it work for the players to want to be there/survive being there long haul.

Usually you want to get out of other realms and close the gates as quickly as possible.

Another fun idea would be a large box expansion playing off the ever popular parallel universe. Something that flips cards around with reverse skills checks (luck instead of lore) or maybe makes cards that were once awful now great and great cards now awful.

Take the card in the Science building that closes gates. Now maybe it opens gates on every success.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athos
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree this would be cool. Maybe something like a Runebound big box that replaces the map of Arkham with a map of the Dreamlands and changes the victory conditions?

The problem is that you want to close the gates and would not want to waste time exploring the Dreamliands, unless they change the victory conditions.

PLUS - Arkham Horror needs Zoogs.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
The Randolph Carter dreamlands stories The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, The Silver Key, and Through the Gates Of The Silver Key have always been some of my favourite HPL stories. The first is in fact I think my favourite HPL story of all.

I'd live FFG to give some thought to a Dreamlands expansion, either a big box one with a board, altjough this may be difficult to do, since the locations in the Dreamlsnfs stories are much more distant from one anothervthan the relatively close streets of Arkham or Dunwich, or a small box one which could be used in tandem with the Dreamlands Other World location we alreadtly have access to.

Thoughts?

It's a good idea, and has been bandied about on less specific "what would you like to see in a new expansion" threads. If you enjoy the Randolph Carter stories, then you should read through Brian Lumley's Titus Crow stories - at least one of them is set in the Dreamlands, IIRC.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dreamlands would be a good setting for an entirely different game. I don't see a Dreamlands board as a good addition to Arkham Horror.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want any "instead of" board games, like Mansions of Madness. I'd prefer a game that could be played independently, or as an extension to Arkham Horror. That would take a little bit of ingenuity though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Wayne
Italy
flag msg tools
kungfro wrote:
I'd prefer a game that could be played independently, or as an extension to Arkham Horror.


Good idea. I can imagine a Dreamlands box the "size" of the basic Arkham game, mainly to be played indipendently, but also somehow linkable to Arkham Horror. This could prove a little hard for players, since there's always so much going on in Arkham, and another full board would surely drain a lot of time and investigator manpower.

A few spells and dream powers (simlar to skills) could be a good addition. The best piece should be the Dreams deck, similar to Hypnos' but much more varied: inverstigators decide if they want to draw a Dream card between the outer eoncounter phase and the Mythos phase (or maybe they are forced to do so).

Now that I think about it, a new phase, the Dream phase, could be added. This could also avoid the troubles of a whole new board mentioned before, since investigators would be able to do another action in one or possibly more dream encounters, running their risks, but without drawing a new Mythos, since this happens just before the Mythos phase. In this dream phase investigators' dream forms would move to a (random?) location of the Dream Arkham and have an encounter there from special decks. The effect I would like to see is similar to the Silent Hill experience: during the dreams, investigators visit the same locations within the same city, but everything seems to be disturbingly different. I realize this is not strictly adherent to HPL's concept of the dreamscape, that is much more focused on traveling to exotic places unknown to the waknig world. On the other end, this could be a good way to link the "new game" Dreamlands and the "old game" Arkham Horror, and allow indipendent game and the Arkham+Dreamlands hypothesis.

The dream Arkham could also be a board similar to the basic Arkham, but slightly different and with different boxes of text of course. In this case, on the back of the board there could be the Dreamlands board, with all the locations mentioned in HPL's Dreamlands saga, to be used in the stand alone game of the new box.

I apologise if my text is confused, but I was just writing from the top of my head, thanks for reading!

goo
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bill_andel wrote:
Ecosmith wrote:
The Randolph Carter dreamlands stories The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, The Silver Key, and Through the Gates Of The Silver Key have always been some of my favourite HPL stories. The first is in fact I think my favourite HPL story of all.

I'd live FFG to give some thought to a Dreamlands expansion, either a big box one with a board, altjough this may be difficult to do, since the locations in the Dreamlsnfs stories are much more distant from one anothervthan the relatively close streets of Arkham or Dunwich, or a small box one which could be used in tandem with the Dreamlands Other World location we alreadtly have access to.

Thoughts?

It's a good idea, and has been bandied about on less specific "what would you like to see in a new expansion" threads. If you enjoy the Randolph Carter stories, then you should read through Brian Lumley's Titus Crow stories - at least one of them is set in the Dreamlands, IIRC.


Yes, I have read The Clock of Dreams etc. I like them to an extent, but I loathed Lumley's invention of Cthulhu's 'nice' half-brother or whatever he was.

Eco
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
The Dreamlands would be a good setting for an entirely different game. I don't see a Dreamlands board as a good addition to Arkham Horror.


Why not, if you don't mind me asking?

Do you have mechanics reservations, or thematic objections. I always thought that The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath was a bery good fit to HPLs usual Mythos setting. Azathoth, Nightgaunts, Nyarlathotep, nameless cities, they're all in it!

Plus, there's this line:

"Off the hippocephalic abomination the hapless dreamer leapt!"

which is awesome lol.

Eco
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see. You think the Dreamlands is too 'epic' on its own to be an expansion? Hm, that's a fair enough opinion.

I seem to remember that Randolph Carter had long adventures that spanned seeming months and leagues - all in a single night, before he "leapt screamingly awake in his Boston apartment" (lol it's amazing that I can remember this line from last time I read it, like 15 years ago, but I can't remember what I had for breakfast on Saturday. Old age, I guess!). In fact, now that I think about it, as he fell off the Shantak abd plummeted through space away from Azathoth, whole universes were described as coming into being and then aging and vanishing as he fell.

I guess what I'm saying is that a long sojourn in the Drramlands could be said to take place in a single Other World Encounter phase...

But I agree with your idea that a standalone Dreamlands game may well be awesome, if done right.

I'm going to give some thought to a custom expansion, myself. I seem to be getting almost as much fun mesding about with Strange Eons as I do playing AH itself!

Eco

EDIT: shoutingly, not screamingly rofl.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Take That Token And I'll Ram These Dice Right Up Your Nostrils"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
Why not, if you don't mind me asking?


Well my issue with the idea is that the Dreamlands has already been "done" in Arkham Horror.

There's a lot of Dreamland related cards, and if you include expansions then all of Dreamlands monsters have been used, a Zoog and a Cat are available as allies, and there's not just been the generic Dreamlands used as an Other World, but also Leng, the Underworld and Unknown Kadath.

If it's been done then why use it all again? I LOVE Arkham, don't get me wrong, it's just that it's big and unwieldly enough now without adding another expansion. They're are going to have to wow me big time to get me to invest in any more material, and I never thought I'd say that! surprise goo
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Narlgoth wrote:
Ecosmith wrote:
Why not, if you don't mind me asking?


Well my issue with the idea is that the Dreamlands has already been "done" in Arkham Horror.

There's a lot of Dreamland related cards, and if you include expansions then all of Dreamlands monsters have been used, a Zoog and a Cat are available as allies, and there's not just been the generic Dreamlands used as an Other World, but also Leng, the Underworld and Unknown Kadath.

If it's been done then why use it all again? I LOVE Arkham, don't get me wrong, it's just that it's big and unwieldly enough now without adding another expansion. They're are going to have to wow me big time to get me to invest in any more material, and I never thought I'd say that! surprise goo


I played a game yesterday using an expansion for the first time; the Lurker In the Dark (+Yog-Sothoth as the GOO, the duo od Doctor and Author had an up and down time of it before being forced to give up due to RL time constraints at 8 Doom Track with 4 elder signs on the board. I reckon we would have won ). Part of the setying up instructed us to remove certain gate markers from the deck and replace them with alternatives from LitD. I assume that something similar may happen with other expansions, but even if LitD is unique, it's still a precedent for replacing stuff that's already been touched on with more detailed versions from an expansion.

You say you're 'full up' with AH stuff. Fair enough. If an expansion comes out, you don't have to buy it

I'm very new to AH (and the current boardgame market conditions, for that matter) still, so I've no idea if more expansions are possible. Maybe FFG is 'done' with AH. I'd buy anything at all that they released, personally, but i've got more money than sense, my gf tells me. I'd certainly buy a Dreamlands expansion. That and an At The Mountains Of Madness expansion are my top two AH dreams.

Eco
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Old thread, but quite a few of the Ancient Ones are Dreamlands related, as is the Guardian Nodens, various monsters, etc. etc. If any of you have the Call of Cthulhu RPG supplement, The Dreamlands, it's not difficult to create the locations on the board.

One interesting Dreamlands concept is *altering the world*. Dreamers can change the Dreamland simply by dreaming. You could have tiles that represent new locations or changes to existing ones. Instead or besides a Doom track, as the baddies take over the worlds, the Dreamlands board *changes* for the worse. The investigators must increase their Dreaming ability or otherwise make changes to the Dreamlands before it collapses into our dimension.

Or something!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Shug
msg tools
Dreamland might be useful for the investigators, if they can get something powerful there, artifact or very powerful ally.
Again, it can be possible only for few investigators to go there, if they are Dreamers or become ones only. The map may be the same size as town maps, but with cities etc as locations.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.