Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Oooh... I like it when you touch my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I received this game as a Christmas gift, and somehow did not play it for a whole nine months. I'm glad I did, though; it's a riot! The theme is quirky and fun (drunk gnomes on a submarine!), and the gameplay is pretty quick, once you get the hang of how to use the time counters. There is a significant amount of randomness in the events (Eurogamers, beware!), but this is fitting with the theme. The fact that it is a cooperative game that scales up to eight players is great.

So, the story is that you are a bunch of Gnomes on a doomed submarine, the Red November. You are being pursued by the Kraken and everything is failing. The crew will be rescued when 60 minutes passes, but you have to work together to survive that long. Each player tries to avert disasters by attempting repairs or other actions, which take time. Gameplay passes, not in a typical clockwise fashion, but to the player whose gnome's time counter is furthest back on the time track. The designers really do an excellent job of making you feel you are working against the clock.

In short, the game is great. I highly recommend this if you are in the mood for a light, fast and chaotic good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait to play this game, I should be getting it shortly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
It rocks, I really like the whole time thing and how the fires and floods work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony DuLac
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it sort of clever but it got boring really quickly. Traded it almost immediately after getting and playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pop
Romania
Cluj-Napoca
Cluj
flag msg tools
It's flat, mate! :)
badge
Calavera!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's usually more fun if it involves real life spirits (i.e. vodka).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play it solo.
It has a certain "Whack-a-Mole" feel to it, which reminds me of Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Hannemann
United Kingdom
Upper Heyford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
I found it sort of clever but it got boring really quickly. Traded it almost immediately after getting and playing it.

Yeah, I sort of had the same experience. It's fun for 2 or 3 plays, but it gets old really quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The MatrixCube wrote:
wytefang wrote:

Yeah, I sort of had the same experience. It's fun for 2 or 3 plays, but it gets old really quickly.

That's why I haven't pulled the trigger on getting this for myself as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree with the original post. This game is a riot. My son and I play it with two players and it plays fine. Awesome game that manages to be fun, even funny, yet intense at times. Easily a 9, perhaps a 10 when I get more plays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.