Pandemic» Forums » General

Subject: pandemic or Defenders of the realm rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jiffy Brisson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey so im looking to buy pandemic or Defenders of the realm and im looking for some advice from people that have played both.

things im looking for.

1- tense nail bitting game
2- game that doesnt feal like its dragging on
3- strategic
4- fun
5- difficult!

Thank you!! and if you guys want to add comments about both games ill be happy to hear read them! and if you guys have any suggestion for other coop game with the same caracteristics i named above or that you guys enjoyed let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Pandemic (c/w OtB expansion for extra variety after a couple of months!). It certainly would tick all *your* boxes and it has the extra benefit that it's simple enough to introduce to 'non-hardcore' gamers (if that doesn't sound too condescending!). Gotta say, haven't looked at Defenders so can't really comment.
Without wishing to put you off going for this excellent game, I did play Space Alert for the first time last night - 3 times on the trot as it happens - which says a lot for it. Fast, fun (read: funny!), hectic (the timer feature might not be to everyone's taste) and tough!
Get 'em both, I say.
laugh

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Both of them fit your 5 points.
DotR is more detailed.
Pandemic is easier to explain.
DotR is funnier but this is subjective.

I would suggest to go with the theme you prefer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Sorel
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own, have played, and like both Pandemic and Defenders of the Realm. Pandemic is my most played game for a reason, and Defenders is the newest addition to my game collection.

Pandemic vs Defenders

1 - Both games can be tense. Pandemic moves faster, so the tension is seen in how quickly things can get out of hand. Defenders has tension built into the dice-based combat and characters whose life tokens correspond to action points; so a bad decision or die roll can reduce abilities until able to heal.

2 - This entirely depends on general enjoyment of theme. Pandemic is a short game; so even with a more generic theme, this would still be an enjoyable game. Defenders games will be much longer, and if the theme doesn't draw you in it may be tougher to enjoy.

3 - Pandemic is all about the perfect plan falling in line with good or bad luck in the card draws. While still fun, Pandemic can fall into the "If A Then B" feel; moves can be planned, optimized, and executed. In Defenders, the combat aspect of the game leaves more room for adapting strategy on the way. Since you roll dice to decide if you are removing minions, a failed die roll makes to weigh options as to try to fight again or continue on with plan.

4 - Both games are fun; but if you are into the theme/experience, Defenders will be more fun. The feeling after a successful attack roll is great, and defeating a general is more satisfying than simply turning in cards for a cure in Pandemic.

5 - Both can be very easy and very difficult. Pandemic can be altered with more or less epidemics in the deck, and even the addition of the On The Brink expansion. Defenders has suggestions in the rule book to make it harder or easier. Since both games have the infections/darkness spread in a card based system, there will be games that are easier than they should be, and games that will be impossible to win.

When it comes down to it, both games are great, and I am glad to own them both. The question lies in where the worth will be for you. Defenders is a more expensive game, a single game has longer playtime, the theme/experience is more full, and the dice based combat creates more randomness and strategy changes. Pandemic is much cheaper, a single game is fairly short, the theme is there but it doesn't fully drive the game, and it is more of a system that needs to be solved.

Personally, I agree with Simon in saying "Get 'em both," they both have their own role to fill in terms of a game variety.

I hope this helps more than confuses. Let me know if you have any questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Holen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
In my attempt to get into this hobby, my first order of 5 games for my wife and I pandemic topped out as my wife's favorite game. I also really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it because it was very easy to teach, had a relatively fast setup time, and was fast to play. My wife really enjoyed the coop aspect, and we enjoy working together while still having our own thoughts/opinions/strategies. We enjoyed it so much that I ordered Defenders of the Realm in my last game purchases.

We are both excited to play it. So in agreement with the others, get both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lesley
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Titaniumator wrote:
I own, have played, and like both Pandemic and Defenders of the Realm. Pandemic is my most played game for a reason, and Defenders is the newest addition to my game collection.

Pandemic vs Defenders

1 - Both games can be tense. Pandemic moves faster, so the tension is seen in how quickly things can get out of hand. Defenders has tension built into the dice-based combat and characters whose life tokens correspond to action points; so a bad decision or die roll can reduce abilities until able to heal.

2 - This entirely depends on general enjoyment of theme. Pandemic is a short game; so even with a more generic theme, this would still be an enjoyable game. Defenders games will be much longer, and if the theme doesn't draw you in it may be tougher to enjoy.

3 - Pandemic is all about the perfect plan falling in line with good or bad luck in the card draws. While still fun, Pandemic can fall into the "If A Then B" feel; moves can be planned, optimized, and executed. In Defenders, the combat aspect of the game leaves more room for adapting strategy on the way. Since you roll dice to decide if you are removing minions, a failed die roll makes to weigh options as to try to fight again or continue on with plan.

4 - Both games are fun; but if you are into the theme/experience, Defenders will be more fun. The feeling after a successful attack roll is great, and defeating a general is more satisfying than simply turning in cards for a cure in Pandemic.

5 - Both can be very easy and very difficult. Pandemic can be altered with more or less epidemics in the deck, and even the addition of the On The Brink expansion. Defenders has suggestions in the rule book to make it harder or easier. Since both games have the infections/darkness spread in a card based system, there will be games that are easier than they should be, and games that will be impossible to win.

When it comes down to it, both games are great, and I am glad to own them both. The question lies in where the worth will be for you. Defenders is a more expensive game, a single game has longer playtime, the theme/experience is more full, and the dice based combat creates more randomness and strategy changes. Pandemic is much cheaper, a single game is fairly short, the theme is there but it doesn't fully drive the game, and it is more of a system that needs to be solved.

Personally, I agree with Simon in saying "Get 'em both," they both have their own role to fill in terms of a game variety.

thumbsup

Not much to add to that, except that Pandemic will be easier to introduce to non-gamers/game interested, due to the shorter length and less rules to grasp (compared to DotR). So, taking into consideration with whom you are going to play might help you decide.

Another coop that I really like and is also compatible with your 5 requirements is Ghost Stories .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
I think Defenders might be the better game, but personally, I lean on Pandemic just because it has more of a niche thematically, where Dragon slaying games are a dime a dozen. Having the niche really helps get the game to the table more often in my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ely
United States
pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I strongly prefer Defenders, I agree they are both great games. If you are interested in following some advice given and get them both now is the time. Thoughthammer.com has Pandemic for just $18.00! I would definitely jump on it for that price.

Hope this all helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiffy Brisson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks guys for the advice i guess ill make my decision depending on the price when i get to the store and maybe what my girlfriend thinks she'll prefer. I think im leaning towards pandemic because it is shorter and will apeal more to the less geeky friends that i have that i might play with and ive noticed a short attention span on some so if dotr last 2 hours to win it might be too much.

and im for sure gettign space alert!! ive played it once and man its just funny fun stressfull and caotic all in one. with some hilarious moments when you realise during resolution your doing the completly wrong thing haha!!

2 more questions which is more tense and which plays better for 2 players

thanks so much everyone! man i cant wait t'ill my exams are over next week to go out to buy them!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiffy Brisson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone feel while playing defenders that it drags on and it should have been Donne a while back cause my friends feel that way playing arkham even tho I don't and absolutely love that game if you get in to it and I gotta say I've even love playing that game solo with 2 or 3 investegators!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
If attention span is an issue, go with Pandemic.

If you like to play solo with 2 or 3 characters, DotR is a blast!

We told ya, get 'em both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Jamer
Canada
Fredericton
NB
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pandemic is much quicker and more deterministic. The only randomness is in card draws, so you can generally plan very easily. It's also more of a "pure" cooperative game - there are no positive or negative individual effects that occur.

Defenders of the Realm is quite a bit longer, adds dice to provide uncertainty, has minions and enemy generals appear/move more randomly, and gives players selfish motivations with quests and the "King's Champion" designation. This game is more likely to drag on, but still offers players many decisions each turn. The one notable issue I had with Defenders of the Realm was that the rulebook and rules are unclear in many places. It doesn't prevent you from playing... but I've yet to see two groups (or even individuals) interpret all rules the same way.

From what you've said I would recommend Pandemic (although I feel that Defenders is a very good game also). I don't think there are enough differences between the two games to make both worth owning unless you really enjoy the genre... but obviously others feel differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.