11 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: VASSAL problems - anyone know how to fix this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have ran into a BIG problem.

I got on to VASSAL and it started bugging me that there was a new version and seemed to insist that I install it.

I did. All of my modules then disappeared.

I loaded Washington's War. It asked me for name and password and I gave it (same ones I use in all modules).

I am involved in 2 games by e-mail. I went to the last log file in one of these, and it asked me which side I wanted and only let me choose "observer" or "solo."

So I told it to load a new game. It let me choose sides, so I chose "British." I loaded the logs one-by-one, to get to the current turn, but to do so is very flawed. It never moves generals, so I did that by hand. Not so bad. The big problem is that no cards show up. There is nothing showing on the War Ends box. My hand is empty.

I even tried uninstalling the new version and going back to the previous version, but the problem still remains.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this forum link - it seems you are not the only one experience trouble: http://www.vassalengine.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3705
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hmmm....

Just talking/thinking/typing out loud here...

Judd, have you performed a Windows search for the modules to see if they are living in a different folder? The one we were using for WWR was "WashingtonsWar_v1.1.vmod". It might be that it is living out there someplace.

I seem to remember from the previous times I loaded the updated version of VASSAL that the storage in VASSAL's memory for the modules I was playing went away. The modules themselves were still on my hard drive, it is just that VASSAL did not know where to look for them. That was because I did not store them in the place that VASSAL defaults too. So, when you open up VASSAL and it has a list of modules that you have opened in the past, the modules that I had used in the past were not there.

I think VASSAL just displays modules you have opened/used in it's initial window, but these are just mapped links. You can remove old module links that you are no longer playing from this list (as I have done in the past just to keep it neat). However, when I do so I am not deleting the module, just VASSAL's link to it.

Since these are just links and not the modules themselves, the modules are hopefully OK and still on your hard drive.

Yep, here is what I would do. First, get rid of any newly downloaded module for Washington's War that you grabbed since you updated VASSAL.
After that, see if you can find the WWR vmod file on the harddrive using the Windows Search feature. If it finds it, note where that is, open the VASSAL application and go to "Files/Open Module". Then go to the location where the module resides and start it up.

Let me know if that works.

However, the essence of the problem is that when the new VASSAL was installed, the mods disappeared. So that when you went out and grabbed the WWR module from the website and started it up, it is thinking that you were not only using the mod for the first time, but also that you are a third person logging into the game since it is not recognizing you as the American player, this despite using the same userid and password. The LOG that we are using is expecting another person to be the Americans.

I do not understand why is would not acknowledge you are the American player if you are using the same userid/password.

I see that the latest version is 3.1.15. I am using 3.1.14, so there must have been an update since we started our game. Funny that it is not insisting that I update to the latest version.

Pain in the ass! Something is definitely out of whack here. Either that or the userid/password is wrong or it thinks it is wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I worried about that very thing, so I never downloaded a new module. I keep them all very organized on the hard drive (along with the logs), so when the updated VASSAL lost all of the modules, I just pointed it to the same place it always was.

The only way I can think of doing this is for you to start a new game. Send it to me, so it will acknowledge me as the other player, and then we can start loading the logs.

Problem is, it doesn't move generals on the board and it doesn't display cards. Moving the generals is easy. The real question is do you remember your cards? I do. Hopefully, neither of us has the war ends card, so we can end it pretty quickly and painlessly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Problem solved.

When I FIRST got into VASSAL, the first module I loaded was Washington's War (of course). I thought it created a unique password for each game. I picked out one.

Afterward, I figured it wasn't national security, so I started using a standard password on every other module that was different. I forgot about it. So when I re-loaded the Washington's War module, and it prompted me for a password, I used that standard one. So all of Jon and my logs (and Sean and my logs), were linked to a different password.

I fixed the password and all is well.

Still was odd that it lost the modules, but no big deal to me. I didn't have that many to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah!

Too bad the module does not appear to limit the number of persons with the same userid. It must combo up the userid/password as the unique identifier for each session (as opposed to just the userid and letting the password be access "security"). Just a guess...

Regardless, you got it working and that is all that matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ALL this is VERY handy to know...thanks guys...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen van der Valk
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I regularly create savegames, to avoid having to run through dozens of logfiles if something like this happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jvdv wrote:
I regularly create savegames, to avoid having to run through dozens of logfiles if something like this happens.

Michael Lucey
United States
E Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

taught me that log files themselves work as save game files and he's right. When I start up VASSAL to make a move I just load the last log file directly and everything is there. I can just click the arrow button several times to see my opponent's last move. This is just one step faster than loading the save game file and then loading the log file after the game starts up. So I don't think you'd ever have to load dozens of log files to retrieve a game position, since each log file records not only the new move but also the game position prior to the move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Uckelman
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can show us how to reproduce the problem reliably, then it's likely that we'll be able to fix it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
uckelman wrote:
If you can show us how to reproduce the problem reliably, then it's likely that we'll be able to fix it.

It's fixed now. Just a password issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.