$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Railways of the World» Forums » Reviews

Subject: So you're wondering about the reprint of Railways of the World: A Guide with Pictures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Introducing the Railways of the World reprint

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of Railways of the World and the series - which includes several expansions, including maps for Europe, England, and most recently the Western U.S. The base game appeared in 2009 as a reimplementation of the 2005's successful Railroad Tycoon, and included maps for the Eastern U.S. and Mexico. The good news is that the Railways of the World train hasn't stopped rolling, and the publisher has just released a reprint which includes a few small changes and improvements to the 2009 edition.

For a complete and exhaustive review of all aspects of the game, consult my comprehensive pictorial review (The quintessential train game for the typical modern gamer), which teaches you how to play the game and much more. In this article, I will focus specifically on reviewing the reprint. I'll show you what comes with this new edition, and explain how it compares with the first printing.

Box

At first sight, nothing looks different from first printing, since the box cover of the reprint is identical to the original.

There are some subtle differences on the back of the box, however.

The easiest way to tell the difference between the two printings is that the reprint includes a picture of the Eastern US map in play, and makes mention of cards for the Mexico map ("a deck of Mexico Railroad Baron and Operations cards").

New box insert

A more obvious difference is apparent when we open the box. Instead of getting flimsy cardboard dividers, the reprint has a lovely plastic box insert, custom designed to house the various game components. This is a welcome and impressive improvement, and the box insert is of excellent quality!

Components

The number of components is unchanged, with one exception: a deck of cards for the Mexico map has been added. Other than that, all other changes are upgrades to the quality of some of the components. Here's a look at all the game components from the reprint:

Improved rule books

The first thing to notice is that the rulebooks for the Railways of the Eastern U.S. and Railways of Mexico expansions have been improved. There's no real changes to the actual rules themselves, but the rulebooks have had a complete makeover, and now have a consistent appearance, and nice glossy production value.

This is particularly a big improvement from the black and white sheet of text that previously functioned as rules for the Mexico expansion - the new rule booklet now also makes explicit mention of the Mexico cards that now come with the game.

New cards for the Mexico map

Without Railroad Operation cards the Mexico map was extremely tough to play (despite being billed as an `introductory' form of the game), and it didn't take long for a fan-designed deck of suitable cards to be made available through Artscow, with Railroad Baron and Railroad Operation cards specific to the Mexico map. With the benefit of some minor edits to the text of some cards (examples here and here), this deck is now part of the Railways of the World game, albeit with a much higher quality of cards than what is available through Artscow.

This is a welcome addition to the game, and people who have the first printing of Railways of the World will be glad to know that they can also obtain this deck separately from the publisher. It includes reference cards, 12 Railroad Barons and 38 Railroad Operation cards. Only 25 of the Railroad Operation cards are to be used at one time, so the extras are optional cards that you can switch in and out to vary the game, and include new cards such as Trading Depot, Express, Operations Growth, and Engine Upgrade. Some of these cards offer new effects and possibilities that gamers already familiar with Railways of the World will enjoy exploring.

The Mexico map is also no longer referred to as an `introductory' map, but is instead presented as a form of the game best for 2-3 players, while the Eastern U.S. map as best for 4-6 players.

Improved card quality

All the cards in the game are now of a higher production quality. In contrast, the first printing did not have the linen finish pictured here.

Improved reference cards

The reference cards for the Major Lines on the Eastern US map were heavily pixellated in the first printing, to the extent that the point values were barely legible. The new reference cards for the Major Lines bring the colours into line with the modified colours on the board, and are also much clearer to read. The Action reference cards have also had a makeover.

Improved colour matching of cities

The history of Railroad Tycoon is littered with many posts complaining about the distinction between purple and blue cities on the board, and how these have failed to match with the cube colours. The good news is that the reprint has got this just right. The purple and blue of the cities is quite distinct (unless you're colour blind, perhaps), and matches the colours of the New City markers and of the cubes exactly.

The colours on the Mexico map have also been adjusted slightly, to ensure that they match the base game and eastern US map exactly. As you can see in this comparison shot of the Mexico map, there are no longer pink cities, but purple ones, correctly matching the colour of the cubes.

The city colours on the Europe and England expansion maps still aren't exact matches with the cubes (perhaps future reprints will bring these into line as well), but as far as I'm concerned they're close enough to avoid the confusion that has prevailed with earlier printings.

Improved colour matching of new city markers

The exact matching of colours of the New City markers appears is another improvement. Note how the blue is more of a sky blue, while the purple is a genuine purple rather than a pink or a dark blue as has been the case with some earlier maps. These also match both the cubes and the colours on the board for the first time.

Matte finish on the board

The finish on the Eastern U.S. map is no longer a glossy finish, but a pp matte lamination finish that matches the finish of the newer expansions like the maps of Europe and England. This may be a matter of opinion, but personally I prefer the matte finish of the maps in the reprint. Certainly the boards have come a long way from the original three-piece map of the US!

Modified train colours

When Railroad Tycoon was first reimplemented as Railways of the World, the colours of the trains was changed from the primary colours to a lighter and more pastel appearance (right). The reprint of Railways of the World reverts back to the richer hues and train colours (left) which first appeared in Railroad Tycoon.

Other changes

Other minor changes to note are as follows:
● Cincinnati is now spelled correctly (previously it was Cincinatti).
● The drawstring bag for the cubes is smaller than in previous editions, to reflect the fact that the cubes are smaller than the ones from the original Railroad Tycoon.
● Duluth and Minneapolis have additional exits leading west off the map, presumably to facilitate a grand game that combines both maps of the Eastern U.S. and Western U.S.

Recommendation

The Railways of the World series continues to evolve in a positive direction, and it's great to see that a reprint makes further improvements. If you own the original edition of Railways of the World, it's certainly not worth making the upgrade - do yourself a favour and ensure that you get the new cards for the Mexico map, and you'll be all set. Owners of Railroad Tycoon, on the other hand, may well appreciate the positive changes and improvements in this new edition enough to consider making this upgrade (for a complete comparison between Railroad Tycoon and Railways of the World, see my detailed article here). Certainly people new to the series will be glad to hear that the latest edition irons out all of the wrinkles that were in previous editions, and is a top notch product in every regard. The quintessential train game for the typical modern gamer is now indeed a first-class ticket. Highly recommended.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mb The complete list of Ender's pictorial reviews: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/37596

Subscribe to this list to be notified when new reviews are posted.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Quote:
● Duluth and Minneapolis have additional exits leading west off the map, presumably to facilitate a grand game that combines both maps of the Eastern U.S. and Western U.S.

Can you build a western link at these cities now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
prizziap wrote:
Quote:

Can you build a western link at these cities now?

No, they just have exits to theoretical hexes NW, W, and SW of Duluth and Minneapolis, but are not intended to be used as alternative cities for completing the $30,000 Western Link (at least: not in the regular Railways of the Eastern U.S. game - my understanding is that rules still need to be finalized for a full US game combining both maps).

See a larger version of the image below to see the details of the new exits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Blountville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for this comparison review! There actually seems to be enough changes for me to warrant the purchase of the second edition.

Because I play mostly with casual gamers, having the correct colored cities will be a huge improvement for me… I just have to decide now if that is worth $60.

Another great review, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sayburr wrote:
Thank you very much for this comparison review! There actually seems to be enough changes for me to warrant the purchase of the second edition.

Because I play mostly with casual gamers, having the correct colored cities will be a huge improvement for me… I just have to decide now if that is worth $60.

Most of the individual parts are available from the Eagle Games website (components section). I got the Map, rulebook and scoring track (to update my Railroad tycoon) yesterday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Blountville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:
Sayburr wrote:

Most of the individual parts are available from the Eagle Games website (components section). I got the Map, rulebook and scoring track (to update my Railroad tycoon) yesterday.
Nice! Thanks, I will take a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Rule
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the first edition and now I need to buy the new Mexico cards that didn't come with the first printing. I noticed at eaglegames.net I can buy them for $5 but have to pay $6.95 for shipping. Will my local game stores be carrying these soon (eliminating the need to pay shipping), or is online really the only way I can get these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy McKinney
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh sweet, they finally got rid of those horrid train colors. THAT was my biggest problem, and it was the reason I'm still using my copy of Railroad Tycoon with the expansions. But RRT has seen better days. It's so beat-up after dozens of plays. It might be the time to retire it in favor of this reprint. But I'd have to get it online, so I'd be a little worried that I would get an old edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow they did a stellar job on this second printing. Thanks a lot Ender for putting this up and showing everyone how great this one is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*sigh* Might just have to rebuy this beast. The colour issue was a giant PITA and for the completist in me the urge is almost irresistable.

Does the reprint also come with the same plastic empty city markers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy McKinney
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AngryStarAnarchy wrote:
*sigh* Might just have to rebuy this beast. The colour issue was a giant PITA and for the completist in me the urge is almost irresistable.

Does the reprint also come with the same plastic empty city markers?

Looks like it. If you look at the picture of the tray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered the reprint from Boards and Bits. I made a larger order so shipping was cheap, but they only have the reprint, if you're worried about getting the first printing. It was nice to get all of the extras mentioned in this article, especially the new board in one piece with matching colors. I'm glad I got this to upgrade my Railroad Tycoon. I'll probably keep RRT so I can combine East and West without buying new parts. (Though I may need a new table.)

I played the Mexico map with 3 players a couple of weeks ago and it worked well. We played with all of the Railroad Operation cards, and brought out two cards each turn instead of just one, making the game a bit easier. It was a lot of fun.

Probably the only gripe I have is that all of the Mexico cards (Barons, Operations, summary) have the same back, making it a bit harder to sort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know how the colours of the Railways of England and Wales match-up with the first and second printings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:
Sayburr wrote:

Wow... to get just the new Mexico cards will cost me $5 for the cards and $30 in shipping...

Sorry, but no.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:
abrannan wrote:
Sayburr wrote:

Wow... to get just the new Mexico cards will cost me $5 for the cards and $30 in shipping...

Sorry, but no.
Wow. It would be cheaper then for me to buy a bunch and then resell them to ship them to you and/or others for cost. Shipping for a deck to Australia (assuming ~3.3oz for a deck) would be just $5. (That is just the shipping cost, the deck is an additional $5 of course.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mb
esok wrote:
I ordered the reprint from Boards and Bits. I made a larger order so shipping was cheap, but they only have the reprint, if you're worried about getting the first printing.

Yup. I can attest to this as I spent five minutes Monday on the phone with Tom so he could check it out for me...and they're packing the 2nd Edition. Looks like he updated the website to reflect that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks great. I have no game store locally so when a friend went to the city he popped in the game store for me to pick up a copy of Steam. They didn't have it so he grabbed this for me on a whim. I think I will actually like this better! I found the forum post about making the Mexico map cards and ordered a set only to open the box 10 minutes later to find those very cards I had just ordered in my new game! I don't have them yet but if anyone wants my Artscow set when it does arrive just say so.

Kraken Fan #69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys,

Just a quick note regarding shipping from eaglegames.net

The prices for shipping are all based off of UPS and UPS international.
If you email customer service and are in the continental US, I am sure they will be able to send a single deck of Mexico cards via USPS.
(They can send Internation via USPS as well, but it is not as safe)

The minimum shipping charge via UPS is around $6 (and 2lbs) in the US and $30 (and 2lbs) International. The website has no control of these charges.

You can always put a note in your shopping cart for USPS shipping too.

Hope this helps!

Sean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawk
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic Review!
I am planning to purchase Railways of the World, and seems to me I really need to get the 2010 reprint! My worry is that I get the old print if I buy the game online. Would the best be to order it from my local game store? Seems to me there will be a chance I will get the old version if I purchase through a web site like Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Berndt
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question about the new insert - has anyone figured out where to put all of the rail hexes? I can't seem to be able to make enough room...

New box insert

A more obvious difference is apparent when we open the box. Instead of getting flimsy cardboard dividers, the reprint has a lovely plastic box insert, custom designed to house the various game components. This is a welcome and impressive improvement, and the box insert is of excellent quality!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy McKinney
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nberndt wrote:
Question about the new insert - has anyone figured out where to put all of the rail hexes? I can't seem to be able to make enough room...

New box insert

On the topic of the rail hexes, did Rails of the World continue with the somewhat baffling RRT design of sometimes making both sides of the hexes the same track piece? Sometimes you would get a straight piece on both sides, and I could never understand why they did that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Saberj wrote:
On the topic of the rail hexes, did Rails of the World continue with the somewhat baffling RRT design of sometimes making both sides of the hexes the same track piece? Sometimes you would get a straight piece on both sides, and I could never understand why they did that.

That should only happen with one side having a green background and one side having a brown background. In theory, you are supposed to match the tile backgrounds to the map backgrounds to save time figuring out the costs of new track for someone who is going to cross your track -- you don't have to move the tiles to see underneath. But with rivers and ridges, you still need to see underneath and the "good idea" wasn't so helpful. If the track tiles were uniform color and all the straights were backed with curves or cross over tracks, they could have reduced the number of the tracks they needed to ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Leduc
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the pictures of the Mexico rulebook, I found that there is a difference in the rules between the two editions. On the first edition, you need 7,8,9 empty city for 2,3,4 players and you need to reduce the number of cubes by 1 for a two player game. On the reprint, you now needs 8,9,10 empty city and you do NOT reduce the number of cubes. Maybe they changed that since they added the cards?

Have a nice day
Nicolas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy McKinney
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know what the official name of this edition is? Thoughthammer says they have "2nd Edition". BoardsandBits says they have the "2010 edition". Funagain doesn't even say from what I can see. Are the new editions pretty much all that is left out there? I would hate to get a copy, and then have it not be the newest edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Saberj wrote:
Does anyone know what the official name of this edition is? Thoughthammer says they have "2nd Edition". BoardsandBits says they have the "2010 edition". Funagain doesn't even say from what I can see. Are the new editions pretty much all that is left out there? I would hate to get a copy, and then have it not be the newest edition.
I would recommend emailing the place you want to buy from and asking if their copies have:
EndersGame wrote:
The easiest way to tell the difference between the two printings is that the reprint includes a picture of the Eastern US map in play, and makes mention of cards for the Mexico map ("a deck of Mexico Railroad Baron and Operations cards").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.