Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello BGG. As a first foray in to the world of iOS app design, I am proud to announce to you today the release of a new iOS exclusive from the renowned game designer, Reiner Knizia.

Reiner Knizia's Teocalli is a solo strategy game in which the player attempts to quickly and efficiently build temples utilizing dice rolls. The player will roll special dice depicting colored symbols that match those on the temple layouts. Matching rolled dice with those in the temple layouts will allow the player to build temples and earn rewards in points, wild card dice, and additional turns. Maximize your score while pushing your luck and mitigating bad rolls with clever play and strategic decision-making. And due to the shifting nature of die rolls, Teocalli is a different game every time! Compete with friends for the high score, or challenge yourself to establish a all time best!

Reiner Knizia's Teocalli is now available via the App store for the low price of $1.99. The game, specially designed by Dr. Knizia for iOS, has been implemented in an intuitive, easy to play style which will provide hours of fun for any fan of strategic games. The game may be found at:

iTunes Link

iOS is an exciting medium for the implementation of board games, new and old, and I hope you all enjoy this new title, Reiner Knizia's Teocalli!

PS: The art was done by our very own
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. Some good decisions to make as far as when to end your turn and use your sun tokens, and what temple to work on. I just made it all the way through for 19950 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
I just made it all the way through for 19950 points.

Pretty good score! I think my best was around 23,000. Lately I've been playing the short (hard) mode, it's quicker and can be really tough because you start getting the larger temples earlier. Really need to focus on getting the wild dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol. I only entered this thread because the only time I've ever watched a Scrabble match on television [yes, they televise them sometimes], the winner went out with the word "teopans". Like most professional Scrabble words, this word had no meaning to me, so I looked up its definition straightaway.

"Teopans: 1. (n) A teocalli"

Ok... so the heck is a teocalli?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun game. I downloaded it this morning and played through the 24 temples. I pressed the wrong button a couple of times, and misunderstood the way suns are lost, and burned through all my saved suns to end the game with over 30 turns left, but still thought my score was pretty good (right around 19k).

I noticed a couple of things you might want to fix:
(1) The name of the game is misspelled in the first page of the tutorial and (2) sometimes the bonus amount shown below the score is wrong (on the first roll of a game I had it say the bonus was 320, but my score was only 60). I suspect the memory doesn't clear from a previous roll or game or something.

Nice implementation; I like Gary Simpson's art a lot. If you are looking for a next project to code, I strongly believe Ra: The Dice Game is Knizia's best dice game, but I'd also love to see Pickomino and Risk Express on the iOS. I'm also eager to see Ghost Stories, UR, and some deck building game coded for the platform (Thunderstone or Dominion) to save people from having to shuffle quite so much! And of course, I'm actively licensing my own designs for the iOS, but that's a story for another day . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Davis
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:
If you are looking for a next project to code, I strongly believe Ra: The Dice Game is Knizia's best dice game, but I'd also love to see Pickomino and Risk Express on the iOS.

Risk Express! Yes, please! Between the "never released in the US" thing (thanks a lot, Hasbro) and it being out of print a lot of people never got a chance to play it...or, like me, got a chance to play someone else's copy and want to own it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
(3) I just played the short (hard) game, and finished it with a score of 11,820, and when I go to the high score chart, it added my long game score to the short game high score chart as well (so it appears in both lists, and looks like I got a score of around 19k in a game mode where I suspect that would be abnormally if not impossibly high).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:
(1) The name of the game is misspelled in the first page of the tutorial and (2) sometimes the bonus amount shown below the score is wrong (on the first roll of a game I had it say the bonus was 320, but my score was only 60). I suspect the memory doesn't clear from a previous roll or game or something.

Don't know how I missed the spelling mistake. Will look into issue #2 as well.

Blue Steel wrote:
(3) I just played the short (hard) game, and finished it with a score of 11,820, and when I go to the high score chart, it added my long game score to the short game high score chart as well (so it appears in both lists, and looks like I got a score of around 19k in a game mode where I suspect that would be abnormally if not impossibly high).

Interesting, I have never seen this come up on my device. I'll investigate. Thanks for the report.

Thanks a million for these, much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Ok... so the heck is a teocalli?

A teocalli (Nahuatl: "God-house") is a Mesoamerican pyramid surmounted by a temple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I didn't even realize there was a short game. I just got 11,440. I'm not sure that it's necessarily harder, though... What it seems like to me is that whether you're playing the long or short game, it's always hard to begin with, but then if you can complete a few temples and build up some sun tokens and extra dice and extra turns, then it gets easier to complete everything. It didn't seem any more difficult to complete the short ("hard") version than the other one, once I got going at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The temples you get each time are random, with increasing difficulty. Some games will be easier than others. It is possible to start without any of the really easy temples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selah Fairport
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I just recently found this game and I really like it. My only complaint is that you can't unclick a dice that you change your mind on, even though you haven't rolled again yet. Not sure if that's an unforgiving rule, or unforgiving coding. I love it on the iPad. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you double tap the temple you can undo up until your last roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selah Fairport
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
modest I bet that was hidden in plain sight in the tutorial. Lol. Thanks!

Yup, even in a different color font. Oops.

Ok, I am addicted to this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twcrew wrote:
modest I bet that was hidden in plain sight in the tutorial. Lol. Thanks!
Yup, even in a different color font. Oops.
Ok, I am addicted to this game.

Glad to hear you like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.