Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chas Argent
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MMP has begun work on play testing the scenarios for the Korean War ASL module.

This module will feature rules for the unique terrain in the Korean theater as well new forces such as those from the United Nations, Communist Chinese, Republic of Korea, Korea People's Volunteer Army, and US Army Rangers.

Currently there are 16 scenarios, rules chapter "W" covering the Korean War ASL rules, 4 new 8" x 22" maps, player aid cards, and several counter sheets with new counters for those units listed above. Once we get closer to production I will be able to update you more accurately on the final components of this exciting project!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanna be the first to complain.

What took so long?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Cale
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Woo! Looking forward to that.

I'm hoping for a Glosters at Imjin scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I'm in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Beach

Burlington
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exciting news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Cale
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASLNoob wrote:

It seems to me that, for a Korea module, every infantry unit(and a lot of the AFVs) would not previously exist in ASL.

I'm not very knowledgeable about the Korean War, but I assume that US Army and Marine units would be considerable up-gunned from their WWII equivalents. The same would be true for Red Chinese units. And, of course, any Korean units would represent a whole new nationality.

Isn't this going to add up to a massive number of countersheets?

Not really, most of the equipment for the yanks and the brits was the same as late war WW2. Major difference was in extensive use of Jets, and more advanced tactical approaches to the use of aircraft, artillery and combined arms.

Chinese were newly supplied by the Russians though so yes, they'd be different. And new Korean units. Chas mentioned those already though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What modules are the prerequisite for this though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta say, MMP is finally starting to roll with their ASL production. It's still too slow for my liking, but it has certainly sped up in the last year or two. Being a relatively new player, I wish they'd spend a bit more time and attention on getting all the original core modules up-to-date and in print before delving into new projects like Korea, but I'm also excited about it and think it will be a great new addition to the system!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kreuzer
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
dude163 wrote:
What modules are the prerequisite for this though?

At a guess: the rule book (OOP),
- BV for basic counters,
- Yanks (OOP) for the Americans,
- the Pacific module or its predecessors (all three OOP) for marines PTO rules and counters,
- FKaC or WoA (both OOP) for the commonwealth,
- AoO (OOP) for the chapter A errata ...

I think MMP are just waiting for BV to go OOP to release this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLNoob wrote:
Chas_Argent wrote:
MMP has begun work on play testing the scenarios for the Korean War ASL module.

This module will feature rules for the unique terrain in the Korean theater as well new forces such as those from the United Nations, Communist Chinese, Republic of Korea, Korea People's Volunteer Army, and US Army Rangers.

Currently there are 16 scenarios, rules chapter "W" covering the Korean War ASL rules, 4 new 8" x 22" maps, player aid cards, and several counter sheets with new counters for those units listed above. Once we get closer to production I will be able to update you more accurately on the final components of this exciting project!

It seems to me that, for a Korea module, every infantry unit(and a lot of the AFVs) would not previously exist in ASL.

I'm not very knowledgeable about the Korean War, but I assume that US Army and Marine units would be considerable up-gunned from their WWII equivalents. The same would be true for Red Chinese units. And, of course, any Korean units would represent a whole new nationality.

How much further up can you possibly go from a 1945 era Marine unit?

I'm sworn to secrecy but I think there will be much in the finished project to please a lot of people. A bit like a wedding; something old, something new, something borrowed, something (UN) blue...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to see massive human waves at night with meat choppers defending a hill. Yeah, the last book I read about the Korean war was The River and The Gauntlet and I recall thinking there were some good potential wargaming scenarios in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be a scenario about the landings at Inchon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance of tying in the 2nd Chinese Civil War (1946-50) as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
I wanna be the first to complain.

What took so long?
Most of those types of products are made by designers outside MMP who submit them to MMP.
The developement of the product is already linked to the time it takes for the original designers to do it.
Then MMP leads final playtests, creates the files, prints them, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas Argent
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLNoob wrote:

There will be several counter sheets. We don't have an exact count just yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chas, will you have a list of prerequisites soon for the KASL module?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Cale
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I hope there won't be many pre-requisites, I only have BV at the moment. The Korean War has always interested me and I can't wait for this to finally come out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whit Richardson
United States
Yarmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be an awesome addition to the system. I can't wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know about nothing of the Korean war : playing it via ASL will teach me something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be a great product - the Korean war had all kinds of action from "blitzkrieg" actions to 'nut-cracking' assaults of heavily defended positions. Sounds like plenty of variety in "nationalities" so it won't feel the same from scenario to scenario either. Liking what I'm hearing here and on other boards about this product - very much looking forward to its arrival.

-N

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hart
United States
DPO
AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I 2nd the motion to include the Chinese Civil War as part of the module. The participation of NKPA units in the Chinese Civil War gave them the edge in experience and training in the early part of the war.as well as guarantees which secured Chinese support that saved North Korea at the end of 1950 from total defeat. Really looking forward to this module.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
sfsct3172 wrote:
I 2nd the motion to include the Chinese Civil War as part of the module. The participation of NKPA units in the Chinese Civil War gave them the edge in experience and training in the early part of the war.as well as guarantees which secured Chinese support that saved North Korea at the end of 1950 from total defeat. Really looking forward to this module.

The strength of any good tactical game is in its community, and especially the scenario-building aspect; that has certainly been true of ASL. It will be interesting to see how many people come forward to support the new module and submit new scenarios for the Journal, etc. Your post suggests that there will be much fertile ground to be tilled, which is a good sign indeed that the module will find legs among a broad audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kalina
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I love ASL, but I am having a hard time getting excited about a Korean War module. But it is close enough to the end of WWII to work, I am sure.

I would like to see a Spanish Civil War module.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sfsct3172 wrote:
I 2nd the motion to include the Chinese Civil War as part of the module.

Sure, let's delay the release a few more years!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blastpop wrote:
I love ASL, but I am having a hard time getting excited about a Korean War module. But it is close enough to the end of WWII to work, I am sure.

I would like to see a Spanish Civil War module.

Critical Hit produced a decent (for a TPP) Spanish Civil War module: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/12648/guerra...

I don't know how easy it is to find copies of it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.